Acklins Trip [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Acklins Trip

flatsfisher
11-12-2012, 08:11 AM
Acklins 11/3-11/10

Relaxing here in Nassau for a couple of days after my trip to Ivels with my buddy Paul. Originally we were to leave Acklins today but Pineapple stopped their flights, had to leave Sat. instead.

We had a really good 1st 4 days with numerous bones at all the spots we tried. I don't think these fish had seen too many anglers lately they were cruising right up to us. Too close to cast at times. High day was 18 fish Tues. We fished Harrys creek,AM and Snug corner PM.

Reserve Bay produced well both days we tried there. The creek with the rock wall held a lot of fish when the tide was in.

Pestels was the usual wash for me, never do well there. Paul did get a small Tarpon, maybe 16 inches there and we saw a somewhat larger one chasing bait, maybe a 6-7pounder.On the way back we gave Relief Bay near Greys Pt a shot saw a couple of fish. no takers.

A front came thru Thurs .The wind picked up to 25 or so and the water temp really dropped. We only had 1 fish Thurs and Friday.

We spoke with 4 guys who stayed at Feltons in Salinas Pt. They told the same story good 1st part of the week.

The stay at Ivels was even better than I expected. They really run a 1st class operation there. The food was really good, steak, ribs, chicken,grouper, seafood platter and lots of conch prepared in its different styles. Rooms were quite comfortable with satellite TV and AC. Also a small kitchen with fridge and micro.

We booked thru Forum sponsor Vince at Cattaraugus Creek Outfitters and all went smoothly. Thanks Vince.

Looking forward to doing it again.

Charlie

Swalt
11-13-2012, 08:38 AM
Charlie,
Sounds like you guys had a better trip than last December. The weather can make all the difference. Where is Harry's Creek?
Walt

juro
11-13-2012, 11:38 AM
Harry's is right out in front of Ivels, down the road a ways technically. We didn't fish it out of respect for their party when we were there Walt... but its a lot of fun. A little mucky in some spots but a great flat with lots of fish.

Did someone say P e s t e l l ? (entering dreamstate)

I know it's not an easy flat but putting all modesty aside I rule that place :smokin:

It has several dimensions, I love them all. Open roamers, tailers, inside creeks, ocean pushers, even gigantic cuda like scary big get the hell out of the water sized. And the bigger fish come out with the mosquitos and feed right at the edge of the water.

If you found tarpon I would guess that you were up in the basin between the upper flat and the lower flat?

Swalt
11-14-2012, 08:56 AM
Harry's is right out in front of Ivels, down the road a ways technically. We didn't fish it out of respect for their party when we were there Walt... but its a lot of fun. A little mucky in some spots but a great flat with lots of fish.

Did someone say P e s t e l l ? (entering dreamstate)

I know it's not an easy flat but putting all modesty aside I rule that place :smokin:

It has several dimensions, I love them all. Open roamers, tailers, inside creeks, ocean pushers, even gigantic cuda like scary big get the hell out of the water sized. And the bigger fish come out with the mosquitos and feed right at the edge of the water.

If you found tarpon I would guess that you were up in the basin between the upper flat and the lower flat?

Pestell makes me think of a long drive between two guys in the back seat of a bouncing, noisy SUV. The kind of drive you take 2 advils for before hand. You did rule!! I can still see you chasing a pod of fish all the way across the flat. Thinking you will never catch up to them but you did and caught one.

flatsfisher
11-14-2012, 09:36 AM
Hey Walt, saw that you had quite an adventure on Inagua. I knew you were to be there in October, glad things worked out for you guys. The pictures of the Bonefish netting there that your partner posted were disturbing. I wonder how common that is throughout the Bahamas.I've seen locals handlining them before but never netting.

We really wanted to get back to those areas we fished out of Feltons last year but there were people there.

Juro there was a school of Tarpon maybe 15 fish they were at the East end of the flat where the road turns towards Chesters. The day we were in the area the tide was in and it was dead calm. On a lower tide I'm sure we would have seen some tailers. We talked with a guy at the gas station he said a local had caught a large Tarpon somewhere on the ocean side.

Swalt
11-15-2012, 10:17 AM
Hey Walt, saw that you had quite an adventure on Inagua. I knew you were to be there in October, glad things worked out for you guys. The pictures of the Bonefish netting there that your partner posted were disturbing. I wonder how common that is throughout the Bahamas.I've seen locals handlining them before but never netting.

Charlie, I had seen them netting on Inagua before but using cast nets not seine nets like this time. I need to note that the fish they are netting are fish that are trapped in the lake there and not ocean going fish but like you said it is still disturbing. Because of the unique ecosystem in the lake the bonefish group together in canals under certain conditions. The islanders know what these conditions are and that is when they net them.

Henry
11-15-2012, 03:03 PM
...disturbing to say the least. I only hope that all the fish they caught were eaten and not used as fertilizer or for some other purpose.

Here's the Youtube link...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1aPOI3pifI

I understand and have read that the Snook (and other species) population on Inagua is being decimated by Illegal Hatian Immigrants. Anybody substanciate that?

Those salt flat drainage canals create "Fish in a Barrel" conditions as previously expressed. The fish don't have a chance.

Henry

Swalt
11-16-2012, 04:38 PM
Ezzard, who was upset over the netting, gave us a full history of the problem and it did not include Hatian immigrants. The island has a US Coast Guard station on it and that is not a problem they have there. I think the station is there to monitor that and maybe because it is so close to Cuba. The US Coast Guard was a problem at one time catching the snook and just leaving them to die. Ezzard reported this and it has stopped. The islanders do also spear or gig the snook when they come into the canals.

Ezzard is in a difficult position there. Like he says "I have to live here". He did say to send a letter and pictures to the Bahamas Ministry of Tourism and Fisheries which I will do.

Vince
11-23-2012, 08:55 AM
Charlie I had never seen tarpon in there, though some locals had said they were in there. They must move in and out at certain times.