Crab flies for Bahamas [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Crab flies for Bahamas

MartyG
10-19-2012, 10:50 AM
Can anyone recommend an online site for crab flies?

I'm looking for small, dime size, white/tan non-floating flies. The kind usally found in the Bahamas.

The local Orvis has tons of Merkins and other similar ones or crabs that float. I guess I can add some weight to ther floaters.

Thanks,

Marty

pinky
10-20-2012, 11:54 AM
check out fishermen coast they have a good selection of crab pattern and they really work. i just started to tie my own flies and they really work.

juro
10-20-2012, 02:24 PM
My experience has been that bonefish are opportunistic and omnivorous feeders. While they can get dialed in and picky, anything they churn up in a mud will be greedily gulped without discrimination whether it's a clam or a crustacean.

When picky and wanting a crab, I've had good success with a very simple crab pattern which consists of rubber legs tied madam-X style with small eyes, a puff of marabou or other lightweight material that expands in water, and a feather tip shell over the back. Very simple, very effective. I do believe in using the black, green or brown plastic eyes which gives it a very realistic look, and tie then so they peer out from the material when wet.

Most of the time I've found that the fly matters less than the way you move it (or don't move it). Sink rate and splash is a very important factor that warrants a lot of consideration, especially for tailers.

I find crab flies for picky summer striped bass on the flats to be much more of a challenge than crab flies for bonefish for a number of reasons which I am still trying to master.

Permit are another level beyond that still... but I don't get much feedback on that having only had a dozen or so shots at them thus far in my travels.

petevicar
10-21-2012, 04:57 AM
I have been experimenting with latex and bug bond.:
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k144/petevicar/Crabs.jpg

MartyG
10-21-2012, 04:55 PM
Pete,

Those are nice. Do you dye them for various bottom colors? Do you have an on-line store with 2 day delivery? :)

Marty