Fly Fishing Forum banner

Puerto Rico 10 Months In....

13K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  pdubs 
#1 ·
Been living in Puerto Rico for ten months now, and to say that the fishing here is not what I expected would be an understatement. If you would have told me a year ago that I would be fishing in Salt only 10% of the time I would have said you were nuts.

When I arrived I thought that Tarpon fishing was primarily a Saltwater game – but I was most definitely wrong on this point. While this Island is indeed packed with saltwater Tarpon, virtually every body of water (including drainage ditches) is loaded with Baby Tarpon I live in a neighborhood that has Tarpon in just about every Golf course pond, and as you get to the larger ponds – the definition of a Baby Tarpon is up to 60 pounds. Fishing for them is simple – up every Saturday and Sunday @ 5 am, jump in the Golf Cart and fish until 7:15 when the first Golfers hit the course, then fall back to the Lagoon and fish till 9. Average morning is usually 4 fish jumped, and 2 landed. I then take a break during the day and head back in the evening to fish until sunset where I can usually land another fish or two. It’s absolutely unbelievable.

As mentioned earlier the Tarpon are not limited just to my area. I have had success in the Golf course and canal at the Ponce Hilton, The Lagoon’s in the Reserve by the El Conquistador , and the Humacao area has several Lagoons and Canals that can all be fished by foot - and all have Tarpon. I have read repeatedly where a boat is required to fish the Island – but it’s simply not true. Virtually Every river, canal, and Lagoon that I have fished has held Tarpon.

The fishing is a mixed bag of casting to rolling Tarpon (low percentage shot), to sight fishing the fish as they work up and down the Hydrilla lines. If you see a dorsal fin and a tail at the same time, and can get a fly in front of them they usually eat. The other option is to work the lee side of the pond or lagoon and look for wakes – the two latter options are high percentage shots.

As far as Saltwater - I have fished several times but to be honest it’s somewhat disappointing . This is not due to the fact that it’s unproductive - as it most definitely is not . To date I have fished Pargera, Boqueron Bay, and the San Juan Area but for the most part it’s a deeper water game. The guides I have been with have generally looked for birds, and/or surface activity, and then positioned the boat to allow you to blind cast into the general area. Usually once you get to the boil you will hook into either a Jack, Albie, or Tarpon. It’s very productive – but I still prefer seeing the fish and watching it tear into the fly.

Bottom line it’s good enough that I still have not been tempted to head over to Anegada, Culebra, or Vieques to take a shot at my first love – Bonefish. If your in Puerto Rico – and have a desire to fish for land based tarpon feel free to reach out – It’s always nice to hang with other ******’s!

MD

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Awesome! I miss my trips to PR for tarpon and bones. You're doing it right man, exploring up inside.

I fished La Paraguera and Boqueron Bay and the lagoon at SJ. LP was outstanding when I was there, the action was insane. B/B needed a boat as well as SJ but I did not (yet) explore the countless lagoons as you have, although I really wanted to I jumped over to Culebra.

That is a whole different fishery... I found the bonefishing to be similar to the Keys, rather than copious shoals of 2-3# fish there are less dense packs often containing some really big bones.

Also some giant permit as well as oceanic tarpon, jacks, etc.

#8 ·
Sorry for the late reply

i will be traveling to san juan late july and would like to encounter someone to point my in a good direction for inland tarpon.
Feel free to PM me - I am around for the rest of the summer - open To host early am during the weekends - good water since its been raining nonstop the last 4 weeks - they slow down a bit this time of year but still worth the trip.

Mike

#7 ·
STX Bones

Loved reading your post on PR tarpon/saltwater fishing. If you care to try St. Croix, your neighbor to the east, I have a place here you could use as a base. Caught 8 bones last Friday...all sightcasting. This time of year can be very good IF the weather cooperates.

#9 ·
I know it is from awhile back, but I am headed there for spring break in March 2022. I would love to fish with you if you are still there, or pick your brain about places to fish. I will likely be staying east of SJ, maybe around Playas del Yunque.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.