S.Monomy (northern end)Flats Image [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: S.Monomy (northern end)Flats Image

Lefty
07-26-2000, 03:02 PM
Ok I see now. Add this image to the top of the other one.
Here are the flats. I remember this was posted before.

http://coast.mit.edu/stdout.cgi/329818.jpg?image=329818&maptype=ortho&zoom=10&ul_x=0&ul_y=0&width=400&height=400&format=jpg

sRobbins
07-26-2000, 03:48 PM
That's the Crib. It's a pretty good hike to get up there from the southern tip, and the Crib is where you guys normally get dropped-off anyway -- isn't it? There are some very nice grass flats on the west side about a mile up from the tip. There is a fish weir down there right against the edge, I think. I haven't been down that far this year -- it's got to be a good 3-4 miles from the cut through to the Crib to the tip (?). Lots of nice fish on the west side last week.

sRobbins
07-26-2000, 03:58 PM
I just went over a composite ortho photo -- as near as I can measure on my screen, and with a wooden ruler yet, it looks like 4.5-5 miles from the Crib to the tip on the East side. Two miles to the grass flats on the West. Just a guess.

Hawkeye
07-26-2000, 04:57 PM
sRobbins,

I've made the hike and I think your numbers are right on. A long walk on sand!

Only two more fishless days!

i'm so outta here
07-26-2000, 06:42 PM
Ok, so where do we get dropped off? I know it's a place called Powder Point but I can't seem to find any maps with names.

BTW, thanks for posting this, Terry!

i'm so outta here
07-26-2000, 06:46 PM
Oh, my poor lazy brain.....

Nevermind. MapQuest had it all along. Powder Hole is near the southern tip. Yup, that would be a hike to the flats. I just hope the seagulls aren't nesting like they are on the north tip of No. Monomoy. I'm not sure I could fend them off for two miles....