Sawfish in the Bahamas [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Sawfish in the Bahamas

teflon_jones
08-27-2012, 10:42 AM
I didn't post this after my trip this spring, but I wanted to share one of the most incredible things I've ever seen fishing or otherwise. I was on South Andros in early April and the guide and I were moving to a new spot to try and get away from clouds when we went over something in a deep hole and he suddenly shouted "What the hell is that!?!?!?!"

We turned around and got over it and found a 25 foot sawfish, which as I understand is just a monster. The guide had never heard of anyone ever seeing one alive and only had seen a saw chopped off one by a US military guy that caught it (what a shame!). We followed it with the boat for a couple of minutes before the guide said "It's probably not a good idea to piss off a fish that's way bigger than the boat." so we let it go on its way.

It had 3 big cobia or jacks that were at least 3 feet long following along between its head and dorsal mirroring its every move. I'm sure they were there to scavenge from whatever it ate.

I'm sorry to say I don't have any pictures, but it's hard to take an underwater shot when the boat was pretty much on plane to try and keep up with it. I hope you all enjoy hearing about this incredible experience on a bonefishing trip, and I hope you get to see one of these someday in the wild.

P.S. I also saw a 15 foot lemon shark one day while wading. I was up to my waist and it started to come check me out, and I quickly went backwards towards a nearby sandbar that was out of the water. I don't mind the 5-7 footers that you always see on the flats, but a 15 footer is a man eater and not something I want to be near! I've never seen one bigger than probably 7 feet (at most) but the guide said you very occasionally see bigger ones like that.

PPS - I also saw what may have been a 20 pound bonefish on Andros. It got close enough that I could have almost touched it with my rod tip. I first thought it was a small shark swimming with some bones (so did the guide as he told me afterwards), then I thought the dorsal was the tail of one big fish and its tail was the tail of a second fish before realizing it was just one fish. It was surrounded by fish that were probably 6-8 pounders and they looked tiny. It was easily over 40". VERY easily. I got a couple of casts at it but the smaller fish were chasing my fly so I picked it up and put it back a couple of times nearer the big guy. I can't get that fish out of my head.

Vince
08-27-2012, 11:09 AM
Incredible Scott! You never know what you may see in the ocean!!

juro
08-28-2012, 08:57 AM
I watched some youtube vids of them feeding... they actually do saw fish into chunks with fast side to side motion and eat the chunks!

teflon_jones
08-28-2012, 09:56 PM
Incredible Scott! You never know what you may see in the ocean!!
Yes, it's one of my favorite things about bonefishing trips is the incredible wildlife you get to see!

I watched some youtube vids of them feeding... they actually do saw fish into chunks with fast side to side motion and eat the chunks!
I did too and there were a few videos of "HUGE" and "GIANT" sawfish but the biggest one I found was only 15 feet, which is still a very big fish! I haven't been able to find a single reference to anyone ever seeing one over 20 feet. This guy was every bit of 25 feet and may have been closer to 30. We were in a 17 foot boat and it was much longer than the boat! The saw alone was at least 5 feet and probably closer to 6 or even 7.