Standup Kayaks? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Standup Kayaks?

juro
08-15-2012, 12:57 PM
Recent developments in hybridizing stand up boards and kayaks have produced products like the Diablo (resold by Orvis).

Recent production of double-hulled models like catayak and wavewalk, stable enough to stand and cast from yet lightweight and mobile, offer additional options for the kayak'er.

I didn't like sitting down while fishing so very interested in these developments. Any stand up yak owners out there?

BigDave
08-16-2012, 08:13 AM
The Diablo looks interesting. I have a Native Ultimate 14.5 that is advertised as a stand up yak. While it's possible to stand up and fish from it, you end up paying more attention to your balance than the fish. Otherwise, it's an excellent fishing sled with extremely comfortable seating. Very hard to roll it from the seated position and lots of room for fly line and stretching the legs.

You should definitely try standing and casting from whatever model you like before you buy, preferably on a breezy day.

The kayak really opened up a lot of new areas to me, even when simply used as a shuttle. Glad I picked it up.

Swalt
08-19-2012, 07:49 PM
There is an article in the July/August issue of Fly Fishing in Salt Waters on using stand-up paddle boards for fishing flats for bonefish in Turks and Caicos. They use them to get back into the creeks where the boats can't go. Listed 6 different designers.