Returning to Chatham/SB & need advice [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Returning to Chatham/SB & need advice

PhilaBill
08-08-2012, 08:40 PM
Last time fished SB was 2005...and returning next week. New Breaks, closed breaks ...feel like a newbie...
Is SB dead? Where is Rip Ryder droping off Fly Fisherman??? Any advice will be appreciated. Not asking for spot burning - just general lay of the land in 2012
PM me if preferrable

juro
08-14-2012, 07:59 AM
SB as we knew it is gone due to the closure of the southway. Without ocean flush the inner refuge isn't really active until you get back over to the channel structures on the Hardings Inlet side of West common, mostly on the north edge.

No one is running shuttles there as far as I know anymore. However the outside is still unchanged and the fishing isn't bad at all on the west edge, more fun from a boat due to the changes.

You can still enjoy some fun sight fishing on the delta on the Hardings side when the light/tide coincide.

Meanwhile the new break up on Nauset has rejuvenated the Pleasant Bay side, you can explore the north island flats as well via Beachcomber shuttle. The action right now is all on the offshore bass population, whats left after the commercial carnage opened on July 12.

juro
08-14-2012, 11:09 AM
Night fishing has been good lately, however I don't practice it very often. Talking to Chatham locals who fling eels at night big fish are around. I see tail drag marks at dawn.

PhilaBill
08-14-2012, 10:20 PM
Juro - thanks for the intel!

boatdrinks
08-15-2012, 09:01 AM
The water in the harbor is not as warm as I would expect. The outgoing should fish well