Any intel on Ogunquit or Wells area? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Any intel on Ogunquit or Wells area?

fliboy
08-01-2012, 05:28 AM
Headed to Wells Maine to spend a long weekend with Brother-in-law and Sister-in-law and will be free to fish mornings. Appreciate any intel on that area.

Thanks

juro
08-01-2012, 03:46 PM
There was action around salt creeks just south (Rye/Portsmouth) a couple of weeks ago, but most of my focus has been on the cape - big surprise there eh? :)

Good luck up there

fliboy
08-02-2012, 05:28 AM
Juro - thanks for the reply. I'll post results.

Went up to Hampton last week, and caught high tide in the morning. Cormorants diving for bait and a few terns and gulls would start sqwacking and once in awhile pick up some bait - so the bait was out there. Problem that I have had in the last two outings is that I'm not seeing fish actively feeding. Did pick up a bunch of schoolies in the 15" - 19" range. Sometimes they hit harder than a keeper and these were all pretty fiesty, but no big-uns on the fly, yet this year. So this confirms your report.

I have to try to get down to Chatham this season as one of the guys I work with has been going with me up in NH but I've told him that Chatham is as close to Striper nirvana as one can get - at least as far as I'm concerned. I've only been able to get him hooked up with schoolies to date. He is yet to get a keeper sized bass and that is my goal this season.

fliboy
08-04-2012, 10:20 AM
Hit the south side jetty and beachfront in Wells. Terns and cormorants working back near dock and at the mouth. Three boats in the mouth and six that were about 300 - 400 yards off shore and about 500 yards north. Did see a swirl behind a metal, bit nothing on the fly. South corner was loaded with mung big time. Two other flyguys were working down the beach but wandered back up in to harbor after about 40 mins. Story of my life the last several weeks - signs of bait but no fish balling it up!

Still a nice morning spent with nature!

millerbrown
08-07-2012, 04:21 PM
The Ogunquit River is good from the mouth and as far up as you can go especially at a changing tide.

Millerbrown

fliboy
08-08-2012, 06:15 AM
Millerbrown - thanks for the reply. Fished Wells Harbor Sunday night and although ther was plenty of bait there was nothing feeding on them except the cormorants! Did talk to someone that was in Perkins Cove and it was full of baby blues ranging from 4-6". Same story - no bass or bigger blues anywhere in sight!