Jappa Flats [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Jappa Flats

quinn_canfield
06-08-2012, 04:16 PM
Spent the morning on Jappa flats in my new birthday present (14' Scanoe with trolling motor). Great setup for that area. Covered lots of water.
As I was heading back in traveling past the mooring on the way to the boat launch I saw what appeared to be a 3 - 4' Strugeon porpoise about 30 feet from me. Did not even know they were around that area. Pretty cool. Apparently (according to the web) they are making a slow comeback in the Merrimack River.

Quinn

PS. Caught 4 stripers. In total they would not have even won a fresh water bass fishing contest. Smallest was about 12"

Eric
06-09-2012, 02:39 PM
What species of sturgeon do you think it was?

quinn_canfield
06-09-2012, 06:03 PM
I honestly don't know. Apparently there are two different ones. It was such a brief encounter. The only reason I even recognized at all is because I grew up on Lake Champlain where the species exists but is very threatened. Seen lots of pictures but never one in person until Friday.

Quinn

Eric
06-10-2012, 10:05 PM
Got curious and looked it up:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_sturgeon

Got to be very close to the white sturgeon we have on the West Coast.

The short-nosed sturgeon is also mentioned in the above article. As you said, it would be difficult to tell the two apart when they are in a size overlap. Anyway, what you saw sounds really special.

Cheers

Eric