Newbie Advice [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Newbie Advice

mtnbum
05-31-2012, 06:59 PM
I was on the Cape flats once before scouting, learning and chasing em -- took a skunk (too late -- after July 4), but I had a blast.

Coming back 6/12. I see the tides will be high in the a.m. then low early afternoon to evening of the days I'm there. I'm thinking that I will want to fish mid morning to full low tide if I want to sight fish on the flats -- is my thinking correct? I don't want to be sleeping when I should be fishing.

I'm also considering a Rip Trip one of the three days I'm there -- never been out there. Is that learning curve too steep to "waste" a day?

Thanks!

bonefishdick
06-02-2012, 06:36 AM
There are five things that are critical to sight fishing, 1 - being on the water at the right time, 2 - no wind, 3 - sun, 4 - the right tide and 5 - Fish.

A sun high in the sky is very important, oversleeping should not be an issue. Getting an early start can also be productive, it will allow you to blind cast and fish the water and get to your desired location as well, that is important also.

Redfisher
06-02-2012, 12:17 PM
"I'm also considering a Rip Trip one of the three days I'm there -- never been out there. Is that learning curve too steep to "waste" a day?"

Unless you are ready to take a very, very long walk you need a boat ride to get down to Monomoy Point (Point Rip). Most of the rip trips described on this site used Rip Ryder to run them down to a spot a half mile (?) or so north of the point. Rip Ryder only runs these trips by special appointment and the trip is very expensive which is why the trip usually involves a large group.

You can use the search function at the top of the page to find more info. I tried to include an old thread here but couldn't get it to work.

The Point can be very productive but I wouldn't recommend you do it on your own. There are many other places that can be very good but don't take nearly as much effort.

Dan