Get rid of your boga grip [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Get rid of your boga grip

Vince
05-26-2012, 08:46 AM
Here's a link to a discussion on another board.
I agree that boga grips are not good for fish, and I have not used one in many years.

Experienced anglers should be able to guess the weight of a fish within a pound (or two) and inexperienced anglers can take a quick measurement to determine the weight.

Most of the time I want to know the length of the fish more than the weight. That 20" trout on a dry, or 30" steelhead on the Catt, or 30" bonefish, is more significant to me than the "12 lb" bone or steelhead.

http://www.danblanton.com/viewmessage.php?id=169363

juro
05-26-2012, 04:28 PM
I never use a boga grip, never will - and have argued that they are harmful to fish since day 1.

When I lip a striper it stays in the water so it remains weightless; or if I do lift it out for a photo my other hand goes under it's belly before I lift. I do thumb small schoolies but am sure they are not harmed by it.

A big part of it is the locking of the jaw structure of striped bass by pushing the fingers upward on what would be the chin which has a stabilizing effect, stopping the thrashing of the fish that results when it's lip is pinned mechanically in a bogagrip without said lockage. Having watched many a fish in boga grips, I am repulsed, and am convinced that it's the thrashing of the fish while held by the tip of it's mandible completely out of the water that causes serious injury.

How unsportsmanlike is that - just to see what it weighs??

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/546626_413269995370119_34151934_n.jpg

Vince
05-27-2012, 06:32 AM
I should clarify that they are a good tool for certain tough-to-unhook toothy species boatside, as long as they are not used to hoist the fish up out of the water putting all of their weight on the jaw.

BigDave
05-30-2012, 07:21 AM
A must have item for bluefish up this way but I only weigh stripers that i intend to kill and eat. Also useful for tying the fish up to the side of the boat to bleed out before hitting the ice.