Belize / Noob / Questions [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Belize / Noob / Questions

Luv2flyfish
05-02-2012, 08:44 PM
Hello - Been a long LONG time since I checked into the forums. Careers and fishing addictions really dont play well together. Got a couple questions for you saltwater / flats veterans.

FINALLY get to dabble in the flats! Im headed to Belize this summer. Not a dedicated fishing trip but will get a couple days in and some availability to fish on my own around the resort flats / islands. I cant completely ditch the girlfriend for fish. Going to try and get some bones, a baby tarpon or 2, and see if I can get a shot at a Permit. My hope is to cast at every freaking thing that swims! August is the time frame. Taking a 7wt and 8wt (Sage XP's and a backup RPLxi 8wt) on a Nautlis FWX and CCF respectively w/ 50# GSP. I've never needed to get all carried away on backing to flyline knots with salmon / trout / steel. What do you guys recommend for that connection?

At curent, I just take about 4 feet of backing and fold it in half. Then with that 2 feet I just do a double surgeons loop thats big enought to fit over the reel. you end up with 2 loops (same size) and a double, double surgeons. I use braided loops on the back end of my fly lines secured by a top and bottom nail knot with 50# gsp. I've never had the slightest problem w/ this and changing lines is a snap. Flats is a different animal though and seeing your backing seems to be more probable.

I'm going to tie up a bunch of leaders ahead of time (and some with wire for those speedy, toothy critters). Whats the norm for length, tippet size, etc?

Anyone have any pros / cons to the Rio bonefish lines? Yes, I can cast....

For flies, I'm probably just going to plunk down on an assortment (spendy though!)

Anyhow, figured you guys would have some good info. Thanks - Jay

BigDave
05-03-2012, 07:09 AM
For the GSP you can make a bimini and then cut the loop, doble over and make a surgeon's if you think you really need it.

9-10 foot leaders 12# tippet shoud work for what you are doing. You might consider the knotless ones since Belize has a ton of grass flats.

For ambergris/turneffe I had the best success with small flies size 6-8. Make sure you have them in different weights (including no weight) and make sure some have weedguards.

The best line I have used (esp for wading) is the Wulff Bermuda Triangle.

Luv2flyfish
05-07-2012, 08:19 PM
Thanks for the info. I'll be south of Turneffe and Ambergris.

doctorsteve
05-22-2012, 08:32 AM
As I recall, we had the best results with very light flies, no beads or chain. Weeds were a pain, need weed guards. And as far as knots go, make sure everything is really strong. The last thing you want to do is have a shot at a nice permit, have it take, and then lose your fly, leader or line. I hooked a big one in a school and my knot let go. Not a good feeling.