Cherry Blossom Test - 2012 [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Cherry Blossom Test - 2012

juro
03-13-2012, 09:16 AM
This year will be a real test of the "cherry blossom test" wherein the stripers arrive with the bloom of the perennial thick trunked cherry trees.

They have bloomed in DC already, a month ahead of normal.

PEC54
03-13-2012, 10:46 AM
It will be interesting to see if a mild winter coupled with an early spring does bring the big girls earlier. Keep an eye on the upper reaches of the Chesepeake and the spawning areas water temps,they usually show up around here roughly 3 weeks after spawning out.10 years or so ago when we had a span of early springs we had schoolies in Cape Cod Bay by the 2nd -3rd week of April.

boatdrinks
03-13-2012, 01:30 PM
a lot of the cherry blossoms in dc are starting to bloom and the dafodils (sp?) have been in bloom for a while. The water in the potomac hit 52 yesterday so that should get the fish moving. If they move in and spawn earlier I would think that they will head north earlier as well.

juro
03-14-2012, 08:20 AM
I definitely remember those early springs... I drove to the cape help with a family project day after doing taxes one year, so April 16th. Didn't bring a rod.

After banging nails all day I took a break at the jetty and the fish were busting like crazy on the ebb current so I ran up to the local sporting goods store and bought a cheapo blister-pack flyrod kit and came back things were still going. I hooked so many fish with that setup the click pawl broke and the reel went free spool but I didn't care, great way to start a season.

boatdrinks
03-14-2012, 08:41 AM
sounds awesome!