Early start to the Season? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Early start to the Season?

boatdrinks
02-28-2012, 07:58 AM
With the mild winter we've had everyone down in MD and DC is talking about an earlier bass and shad run, this could translate into bass showing up on the Cape sooner than usual. I'm thinking of a late April first attempt.

quinn_canfield
02-28-2012, 09:23 AM
Thinking the same thing. I was up in Pulaski NY last week steelhead fishing and the February fishing look more like late March fishing. Already seeing reports of spawned out fishing returning to the lake. My son is going to school in RI so it looks like I will be making lots of "visits" in mid April!

Quinn

boatdrinks
02-28-2012, 12:37 PM
sounds like a good plan!

Redfisher
03-01-2012, 07:07 AM
Heard some fairly reliable reports of stripers caught at night in our area. The Goose even had a picture of an upper 20 lb. fish supposedly caught on an eel. The picture is in thier gallery. Maybe we don't have to wait for the end of April! :Eyecrazy:

Dan

boatdrinks
03-01-2012, 08:01 AM
yeah I got the email from on the water. That was a fat fish.

quinn_canfield
03-12-2012, 03:15 PM
My son goes to college at Roger Williams in RI. He is home this weekend for spring break and mentioned that he saw lots of large fish moving under a bridge a few miles from the school last week. The bridge in question has good water movement under it. He did not know what the fish were but what else could they be besides stripers? I think I will put the kayak in the water down there next week and see what I can find.
I am sending him back to school with a spinning rod and his 9wt fly rod.

Quinn

boatdrinks
03-13-2012, 07:47 AM
Sounds like a plan! Holdovers are pretty active with the nice weather.

sidelock
03-14-2012, 01:13 PM
I'm in the process of pulling the triger on a 1975 classic SeaCraft 18' with 115 Yamaha and would like to hook up with someone in the area .

boatdrinks
03-15-2012, 07:47 AM
that's a solid boat. I used to have a late 80's 23'. where are you keeping her?

sidelock
03-15-2012, 06:21 PM
I'm in Ontario but she will be trailered and fished along the eastern shore all the way down to the keys for the tarpon run. I will most likely be by myself & looking to hook up with someone that has some knowledge of the area.

flatsfisher
03-16-2012, 12:20 PM
Whats your time frame Ted?

Charlie

sidelock
03-16-2012, 08:39 PM
I will be picking the boat up in early April after we get back from Acklins. Once I have the boat I'm good to go Carrlie but I'd like to try & coincide my trip out there with a good run of fish to maximize opportunity.

Greg Pavlov
03-18-2012, 06:24 PM
I'm in the process of pulling the triger on a 1975 classic SeaCraft 18' with 115 Yamaha and would like to hook up with someone in the area .
If it's the one down in LA, good luck, it looks like a very nice boat.

sidelock
03-18-2012, 09:04 PM
If it's the one down in LA, good luck, it looks like a very nice boat.

Yes it is ! Do you know the boat ? Just had the owner replace all four hubs , spring shackles & u bolts on the trailer to bring her home. Had someone go look @ it 4 me & after seeing it he said " if you don't buy it, I will ".

Greg Pavlov
03-19-2012, 07:54 PM
Yes it is ! Do you know the boat ? Just had the owner replace all four hubs , spring shackles & u bolts on the trailer to bring her home. Had someone go look @ it 4 me & after seeing it he said " if you don't buy it, I will ".
I saw the post on HT. I was half-tempted to respond but can't deal with something that far away right now, have to much going on at work to take the time.