More Strange Bonefish Behavior [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: More Strange Bonefish Behavior

JLoop
02-21-2012, 01:27 PM
I too recently witnesses some bonefish behavior I had not previously observed. Was fishing a big sand flat with several feeding fish scattered about singles, twos, and small groups of five or six. Suddenly behind me I hear this loud splashing. I turn, fully expecting to see that a cuda has hit a bonefish. Instead its a couple of bonefish splashing around. Not like splash, splash tailing, but more a thrashing. And instead of spooking like Id expect, four other bonefish make a mad dash across the flat to join the melee. In a few seconds, they all leisurely head off feeding again. Thirty minutes later, this whole process is repeated, except 8 or 9 bonefish make a bee -line to the scene. Looked like the bones were fighting or something, which I doubt. Only thing I could think of is one of the fish flushed a goby or blenny or some such and caused such a fuss trying to catch it, other fish joined the chase, causing the ruckus. So I tie on a bonefish slider, splash the water five or six times with my foot (which actually sounded a lot like like what I had just heard the fish doing) and get ready for the mad oncoming rush of bonefish. There was, in fact, a mad rush of bonefish fleeing the scene. Ive never seen anything like this before. What were these bonefish doing?

John Pool

juro
02-22-2012, 10:15 AM
I wish I knew!

I've experienced splashing so loud you could hear it from 100 yards on a quiet morning but not sure what was being accomplished, maybe 'digging' as you may know clams are a mainstay of their diet.

Their behavior in muds and in group feeding is frenzied and I'll bet there is a certain mob mentality element.

catspaw
03-22-2012, 07:27 AM
They're chasing small glass minnows. Have some 1 1/2" epoxies with you next time. Do a search for Lou Tabory's article about this specific behavior.

MarkZ
08-20-2012, 11:35 PM
Sounds to me like they got on a larger blue crab and they all came over to grab a leg and twist.