Gama Hooks [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Gama Hooks

JTWG
01-23-2012, 08:51 PM
Have any of you guys used the Gamakatsu SL 11 3H hooks for your bonefish flies before? I have used the 811S but bent several on my last trip and want to switch. I think these are tin colored. I want to stay away from Gama's black hooks.

juro
01-23-2012, 11:56 PM
I don't think they are stainless but only nickel plated. Wire diam might be a little stouter, but the hooks will rust without careful washing.

Curious - did you bend the 811s on fish or snags? Do you use pliers to remove the hook from the bonefish's mouth? I only ask because I have had no problems even when I'd found a mud and landed 40 fish in a row. I don't use pliers, and remove the barbs so the hook comes out very easily.

BigDave
01-24-2012, 07:06 AM
I have used those gamis (black ones) for bonefish and they are good. I use them for carp too and they won't bend out. Just check the gap sizes - they seem to be a size smaller than your standard 811S per the hook size. Both good hooks. If you were in a situation with heavy grass using 20# tippet I could see bending out the smaller size 811S. I have bent them out slightly on bonefish but never straightened one out (thankfully).

Swalt
01-24-2012, 11:52 AM
I have use both the SL11-3h and the 811s and have not had a problem with either bending. I used some Daiihci X462 and had some of them straighten out. May have just been a bad bunch. On the black hook, SL45, I like it and use it on some shrimp patterns where you want the black vein to show.

JTWG
01-24-2012, 08:37 PM
Thanks guys. I had the 811s bend on fish, not snags. It happened on several hooks, not just one or two. I've read on some other boards that others have had similar problems.

petevicar
01-25-2012, 08:55 AM
Try using Gam SC15.