Fly Fishing Forum banner

Any update on OSS breathable waders

5K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  juro 
#1 ·
Hey Juro,

Lookin on OSS's web site, nothing's changed in 9 months, wonder if they ever took your recommendations on the breathables.. they look so comfortable I was thinking of trying them out but the product doesn't appear to be under any retail development. Got any intel for us? IIRC you had a desert camo pattern on which is not displayed on the website.

cheers!
-harold

#2 ·
Hope you had a great holiday Harold - they are incredibly comfortable, like wearing a soft lightweight pair of worn-in jeans. After a rigorous field test, I sent them a detailed review.

Mostly positives only issue I had was with the feet being all the same material thru. The ideal foot for me would be concrete proof and fit me like a sock.

Material is what US Navy seals use on their attack suits and it's pretty amazing fabric overall.

Glad you brought it up, I need to send them in for modifications that they were more than accommodating to make now that the cold weather has set in.

#3 ·
juro said:
Glad you brought it up, I need to send them in for modifications that they were more than accommodating to make now that the cold weather has set in.
Looking at the photos I thought the same thing about the stocking feet, seems wrong to ahve them the same material as the wader shell, it needs a bootie.. or maybe in colder weather you could slip a neoprene bootie on top of the standard boot foot.

So, what were the modifications you asked for, and will they do them for anyone? Should I bother asking the company for same? Will they talk to normal humans? Juro, this all sounds pretty hush hush - you're not on some witness relocation/protection program are you ?

#4 ·
LOL - I will be completely honest, there is what they are now vs. the potential they represent.

The material is amazing. It feels much lighter and super-comfortable compared to even the most popular waders but are tough enough for their main audience, the military. The company will custom fit waders for you at a reasonable cost maybe even no additional cost (?). They cinch up in the mid section, and have built-in gaitors that work well. Yes I actually came to like the camo after a while. SO MUCH POTENTIAL.

But the fabric feet could not handle my parking lot / gravel patch antics (kind of a big deal). The outside pocket should either be sealed waterproof to the very top edge or be inside the material (not a big deal).

In the pacific northwest steelheaders used to put their own boots and/or stocking feet on their favorite waders. I am considering doing something like that with these waders because the material is the best I've used for striper fishing; and a boot foot would be nice - maybe something from the Muck Boot company.

I was keeping hush because with OS Systems it never seems like a lost cause to have ideas and work with them, they are innovators in the wetsuit industry... so the verdict is still out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.