Any update on OSS breathable waders [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Any update on OSS breathable waders

sickb4st4rd
01-04-2012, 12:15 AM
Hey Juro,

Lookin on OSS's web site, nothing's changed in 9 months, wonder if they ever took your recommendations on the breathables.. they look so comfortable I was thinking of trying them out but the product doesn't appear to be under any retail development. Got any intel for us? IIRC you had a desert camo pattern on which is not displayed on the website.

cheers!
-harold

juro
01-04-2012, 07:33 AM
Hope you had a great holiday Harold - they are incredibly comfortable, like wearing a soft lightweight pair of worn-in jeans. After a rigorous field test, I sent them a detailed review.

Mostly positives only issue I had was with the feet being all the same material thru. The ideal foot for me would be concrete proof and fit me like a sock.

Material is what US Navy seals use on their attack suits and it's pretty amazing fabric overall.

Glad you brought it up, I need to send them in for modifications that they were more than accommodating to make now that the cold weather has set in.

sickb4st4rd
01-04-2012, 11:24 PM
Glad you brought it up, I need to send them in for modifications that they were more than accommodating to make now that the cold weather has set in.

Looking at the photos I thought the same thing about the stocking feet, seems wrong to ahve them the same material as the wader shell, it needs a bootie.. or maybe in colder weather you could slip a neoprene bootie on top of the standard boot foot.

So, what were the modifications you asked for, and will they do them for anyone? Should I bother asking the company for same? Will they talk to normal humans? Juro, this all sounds pretty hush hush - you're not on some witness relocation/protection program are you ?

juro
01-05-2012, 09:47 AM
LOL - I will be completely honest, there is what they are now vs. the potential they represent.

The material is amazing. It feels much lighter and super-comfortable compared to even the most popular waders but are tough enough for their main audience, the military. The company will custom fit waders for you at a reasonable cost maybe even no additional cost (?). They cinch up in the mid section, and have built-in gaitors that work well. Yes I actually came to like the camo after a while. SO MUCH POTENTIAL.

But the fabric feet could not handle my parking lot / gravel patch antics (kind of a big deal). The outside pocket should either be sealed waterproof to the very top edge or be inside the material (not a big deal).

In the pacific northwest steelheaders used to put their own boots and/or stocking feet on their favorite waders. I am considering doing something like that with these waders because the material is the best I've used for striper fishing; and a boot foot would be nice - maybe something from the Muck Boot company.

I was keeping hush because with OS Systems it never seems like a lost cause to have ideas and work with them, they are innovators in the wetsuit industry... so the verdict is still out.