Major overhaul needed [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Major overhaul needed

juro
12-18-2011, 10:42 AM
We have been targeted by spambots and this attack has grown beyond manageability as the signed on users demonstrates. Two things need to be done:

1) sign-on process will become more stringent, despite the fact that many fly-fishermen are unable to deal with the one we have now (perhaps due to the demographics)

2) software will be upgraded to the latest version, database migrated

This will require time and cost. I plan to do it over the holiday break so appreciate your patience while the site is off and on. Also any paypal donations however small are also appreciated (button at top of page).

PopnesetBay
12-18-2011, 01:13 PM
good luck with the overhaul!!!! I might suggest that any new sign-on procedure be tested with a variety of members(?) so as to insure that it be made as easy as possible. Your expertise in computers is not matched by most of us so what is simple for you may be totally beyond this 75 yr olds comprehension. Without getting into the exact breakdown, what is the ball-park figure that it takes $$$ Wise to keep something of this size on line. I am not talking about the cost of the countless hours you spend keeping it up and running but is the cost involved predicated by the numbers using it, views, software, server speed or all of the above? Thanks, and when you have a chance canI get an answer concerning the 'amber alert' that I asked?

Eric
12-18-2011, 01:44 PM
I'll be glad to help test whatever you come up with.

Cheers,

Eric

Eric
12-18-2011, 01:45 PM
The "Donate" button does not seem functional on Firefox 8.0.1

juro
12-23-2011, 01:03 PM
Contact Us link temporarily removed - was getting inundated with hundreds of spam messages per day. I know this will be an inconvenience to those who forget their passwords etc, I will look for a captcha enabled alternative.

List of on-line accounts disabled, most of them were bots hitting the registration page. I haven't figured out how to filter out the unconfirmed logins yet.

Our registration page is captcha enabled, however the new bots are able to get past it.

waterworker
12-24-2011, 12:53 PM
I'll be glad to help test whatever you come up with.

Cheers,

Eric
2nd that...Scott

nmbrowncom
12-25-2011, 03:45 PM
I haven't a clue what all that lingo means, but it sounds cataclysmic for the forum.
Can anything be done or is it over?

juro
12-26-2011, 07:20 AM
I'm going to begin by installing the latest version. It should bring some enhanced security features to the table.

After the upgrade it will most likely take some custom coding to lock out the automated programs that are attacking forums nowadays. I am going to talk to some of the other forum tech leaders to compare experiences and come up with a plan.

Essentially, gone are the days when a hobby project like this can be run without a work-like investment thanks to the internet "demons".

teflon_jones
12-26-2011, 09:38 AM
Let me know if you want some help. You know I run an IT Consulting group for a Fortune 500 and have 15 years of hands-on IT experience at Fortune 100 companies? :)

You'll also be getting some financial help from me and the people who purchased bonefish flies from me since I promised to donate a portion to the forum.

juro
12-27-2011, 10:15 PM
Thanks Scott - I just spent a few hours going through the server-side code. The problem is the bots are getting through the captcha codes somehow.

I am going to pay for the upgrade since we're on an old version for starters, do the upgrade and see if that stops them.

You may have seen a speed-up since I turned off registration until this is done so the bots are hitting their heads on the brick wall :)

I'll let you know

- J

Eric
12-28-2011, 12:10 PM
Keep us posted, Juro. Is there a lane open yet for donations?

Happy and Prosperous New Year

Steelheader in Waldport

juro
12-30-2011, 11:58 AM
Just ordered the latest version / license - will be upgrading over the holiday weekend. Keep the fingers crossed...

Eric thanks, I will make sure all who want to ring in the new year with a small donation are not locked out as soon as I complete the upgrade.

PopnesetBay
01-23-2012, 09:53 PM
Juro, since the " update " I have experienced very mixed results with forum using my IPad. Sometime I can see new posts by using Quick Links and keying on New Post, other times I have to use key at top of page and highlight "last 24 hour post" and again, like tonight , the only way to find new post was to scan all sections and even after reading all new posts could not get forum to update to tonight's time,10:50'ish PM. Is it just the IPad or there other things in the mix?

Hope you can find time to answer.

Pete Readel

juro
01-23-2012, 11:58 PM
Hi Pete -

I use firefox on both PC and MAC and have not seen those problems. I don't have an iPad.

PopnesetBay
01-24-2012, 09:09 AM
Juro, I also use firefox on Mac and have no problem, IPad uses Safari. What confuses me is that IPad sometimes works with Quick Links and other times with "The Last 24 Hours link and sometimes with nothing and it is seemingly impossible to get the "last visit" updated with the IPad. Does anyone else have similar problems?
Thanks for quick answer.

Pete Readel

FredA
01-25-2012, 07:27 AM
Bought my wife an ipad for xmas and the little I've played with it I've found safari a bit cumbersome and hard to know where the hell I am. But I'm getting to be an old fart with little patience for new fangled stuff.

PopnesetBay
01-25-2012, 12:03 PM
Yeah, I know where you are coming from! My fingers are too damn big to operate it without many mistakes but what has confused meis that even using Safari on MAC I can get Forum to work fine but using IPad short cuts seem to work only intermittently and I wonder just how much of an upgrade was made?

Pete Readel

jimS
01-25-2012, 12:28 PM
I've using an iPad for about a year and a half with generally good results. It is my travel companion, and I use it most of the time at home.

Pete, optimum results are better if you use the latest IOS, think it is 5.2

Fred, you can tell where you are and where you have been in Safari by looking at the top of the page. Latest has an x on the left side.

I still have to use my desktop computer to post photos on forums since I can't keep two pages open and toggle back and forth on the iPad.

GMflyfish
01-25-2012, 01:28 PM
Got my dear wife the iPad2 for Christmas, and we are still learning to use it. I suspect I will never use but a fraction of the capabilities it offers. We are using Safari browser, as we do on the iMac computer. We were able to tranfer address book info and bookmarks to the iPad.
Pete, I have not explored any of the difficulties you were experiencing regarding FFF.
GMflyfish

PopnesetBay
01-25-2012, 06:21 PM
Yes, Jim, I do have the latest update loaded in IPad. My problem has never been with the IPad. I originally thought that the IPad OS just wasn't compatible with FFF vbullitan software but then it seemed that sometimes I could go things via the IPad on FFF and at other times could not so I was wondering if others had same problem. When I go to forums powered by vbullitan at a higher version than is used in this forum I can do it all with no problem using the IPad. If a upgrade was done it appears that it wasn't to the highest level available. Wife seems to have usurped the MAC so I am IPad bound!

Pete readel