going, going, gone. [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: going, going, gone.

OC
11-01-2011, 11:40 AM
Coaching Xc is over, we have moved into the new house and I only have 10 trees left to plant and the boat starts being built this week. Tracy says I can now go fishing, so over to the Snake I will go for a week. Anyone be over there next week? I'll have a couple bottles of single malt, you bring the cigars.:smokin:

FredA
11-01-2011, 02:44 PM
Sh...ucks, I'm in the wrong place at the wrong time.

juro
11-01-2011, 04:56 PM
WOW! Congrats Steve... how is the snake fishing this time of year? Must be chilly at night...

OC
11-01-2011, 05:19 PM
Yes the nights are cold as we will have clear skies for the next week. I will sleep in back of subaru so I can turn the heat on before light. The bighorns, elk, turkeys will all be down to camp in the afternoon and early evening.
I hear it has picked up as the river levels are now down as of early last week and it is actually running a little cooler. Also new moon last week helped. No one there after OCT 30 so should be fun. Will go over and visit poppy one afternoon. Wakers wakers everywhere fish are eager.
Fred, I don't know what to tell ya.

juro
11-01-2011, 08:17 PM
Is Lewiston the closest airport? Man I just can't get enough of that fall steelhead fishing. I also hear rumors that the Grand Ronde is fishing well now.

OC
11-01-2011, 08:51 PM
Lewiston is right there, rent a car and the world is yours.

FLGator
11-01-2011, 11:40 PM
Lewiston is closest airport, but I'd imagine Spokane is much easier in and out. Rental car and 2 1/2-3 hours you're there.

OC
11-02-2011, 08:01 PM
Just got an out of state permit for steelhead for Washington. OUCH! 93 dollars. That will be it for me. We have too good of rivers close by in Oregon to fish and they are more wild, great rivers to do a 4 or five day float on, like the JD.

Moonlight
11-03-2011, 01:22 AM
Cost us $20.00 a day to fish the Thompson :D but that One Fish was worth it :chuckle:

juro
11-03-2011, 10:53 AM
Is the "T" open this year? Hmmm might be making a flight afterall...

Moonlight
11-04-2011, 02:08 AM
Hey Juro the T opened Saturday, hopefully a few more fish are working there way up the Frazer. But hey its open that is enough!

KerryS
11-09-2011, 04:03 PM
Wish I could manage another trip over. Good luck with steelhead.

OC
11-12-2011, 10:51 PM
Good report, good company, good weather on most part and good single malt and other delights. See now I'm as evasive as a true steelheader.:lildevl: :smokin:

teflon_jones
11-13-2011, 10:24 PM
What kind of boat will you be building? A wood drift boat?

The only steelhead I've fished for are Great Lakes run fish in Ohio a few years ago (which I guess some people don't consider steelhead). Now that I'm in CO instead of the Northeast and the West coast is so much closer, I've been looking into a long weekend trip to go after some chromers. However, since I've never done it before out West, and don't know anybody in that area, I'm wondering whether a solo trip is just a waste of time.

Any thoughts from you experienced guys? I much prefer not to hire a guide first off due to the cost and secondly I really enjoy the solitude of solo fishing, but I'm wondering if that's just setting myself up with a high chance of failure. Would it be worth it to bring my drift boat rather than wade fishing in terms of the boat really raising my chances of hooking a fish? Thanks in advance for any insight!

FredA
11-14-2011, 08:18 AM
What kind of boat will you be building? A wood drift boat?

A flats boat.:devil:

See now I'm as evasive as a true steelheader.

We need more. We need stories. :tsk_tsk: :biggrin:

OC
11-14-2011, 09:21 AM
Teflon, you have been around a long time, I think we could let you in the club. Steelheading is easy, just ask anybody like Juro or Kerry. Next fall give a yell and we will get you hooked up for the Snake and Rhonde most likely the easiest rivers to catch a steelhead in. But if your sick and want one now I guess you could go over to the OP and try your luck. :confused:

teflon_jones
11-14-2011, 08:29 PM
Thanks, that would be awesome. I'm a terrible fly fisherman so I need all the help I can get!

I'm sick right now for a bonefish. I wish I'd never gotten exposed to them, especially at such an early age! I've been tying so many flies in preparation for my trip next spring that I'm going to have to pay a luggage fee just to pack them along.

OC
11-15-2011, 10:50 AM
Teflon, I hear you on the bonefish sickness, my wife and I are looking forward to getting back to the S. pacific and places we know where bone fish have never seen a fly and come up to your wading shoes in large numbers just so they can untie your boot laces.

Fred, ok, ok last day 9 fish on, 4 landed best 13 pounds one 11 other 5 pounds each. Also had 3 or 4 more tugs or pulls. Before then hard fishing as fish were sulking or moving up river. Once again you have to steelhead fish a lot of days to have one of those great days.

Moonlight
11-15-2011, 05:46 PM
Hey Chief good job answering the call... persistence wins the race things are looking good around here however it will soon come down to a single issue. Water Conditions.

OC
11-17-2011, 08:11 PM
Water conditions went out here in the Hood today. Thought they would hold with snow in the mountains. Oh Well.