Stripers? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Stripers?

JonC
09-22-2011, 05:07 PM
I'm coming down to the Cape tomorrow, wondering if I'll find fish near shore, I just haven't heard anything very encouraging.
JC

FredA
09-22-2011, 05:25 PM
Same bat tide, same bat time... Sunday, as a year ago. I'm banking on it but who knows. Deminishing numbers over the last few years, so maybe I saw the best two weeks ago. Nice fishing weather this weekend aside from the possibility of thunder showers Saturday.

Paxton
09-22-2011, 07:44 PM
Jon...this is old info (3 weeks ago) and not that encouraging either. Last time at NM saw about a dozen stripers BUT also saw a dozen huge blues on the flats.....all of them singles.....very spooky....got one end of the fly hit and 3 follows. Maybe with your vessel, if you get a sunny day, take a look.
Would also suggest Hardings..........it's iffy...some days there, some days not...but the blues can be there in numbers anytime in Sept/Oct. They usually make one last run there .........but again...right time, right day. One yr I followed them down the coast from Hardings to the next 3 beaches...the school had to be at least a 1/2 mile long and bunker lined the beaches to "save" their lifes.........last yr it didn't happen for me the days I went.
Best of luck..............you are a very skilled fisherman....you just need opportunity.
So far for me....the last few times out...no to few opportunities :frown: A tough year to say the least! (except for the day we fished together :D ) Was nice to see 200 fish in an hour! and they were hungry!
Ron

saltfly
09-23-2011, 04:00 PM
Keep moving around if you're land based.The n/w wind was the ticket last Friday.Fish into the low to mid 20# range.Big blues to 12-14# range.Next day n/e wind only 2 big blues.During the week was a mixed bag with the variable winds.Today was skunk-a-roo on the wellfleet ocean beaches.Lots of shearwaters cruising the bars with some dimpling small baits.