Stay Safe [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Stay Safe

bigduck10
08-29-2011, 09:03 AM
Hope all of you made it through the weekend. Some of the pics of the flooding was pretty damn scary. Stay safe!!

NeilC
08-29-2011, 09:29 AM
Thinking of you all on the East Coast from this side of the pond - hope you are all safe and the damage from Irene is as minimal as possible.

flydoc
08-29-2011, 03:07 PM
Mainly power outages from fallen trees/branches here on Cape Cod...power out at my house and my office since yesterday AM....didn't realize how much of an internet junkie I'd become until I'd been without for 24 hours plus....I'm typing this from the MD lounge at Cape Cod Hospital, which still has power and internet access....then off to the British Beer Company on Main Street in Hyannis for some fish and chips and a pint of Fullers:biggrin:
Flydoc

NeilC
08-29-2011, 05:52 PM
That's the great thing about "real ale" no electricity needed to pull a pint - so it's good to go even in a power outage!!

May be a bit cryptic to anyone who hasn't seen our antiquated hand pull beer pumps for bitter in the UK!

We don't even need the chillers to keep it at the ideal cool cellar temperature either.

Paul J
08-30-2011, 06:45 AM
Hope all is well guys.
I heard Vermont is having a tough time of it

Best wishes

PJ

bigduck10
08-30-2011, 07:24 AM
Those news reports and film from Vermont were crazy. Lot's of water coming down the pike.
I bet the Connecticut River is a mess.

Gseries69
08-30-2011, 10:09 AM
We lost our beloved Alchemist, home of the Heady Topper IPA. Good news is that the Blackback Pub and Flyshop across the street was spared.

They are planning to rebuild but my understanding is that the entire building will need to be gutted and the brewing equipment and all the beer was lost. There will be a gathering at the Blackback this Friday with profits going to the local business community in Waterbury.

Main street is Waterbury is a complete disaster.

JonC
08-30-2011, 02:35 PM
Those news reports and film from Vermont were crazy. Lot's of water coming down the pike.
I bet the Connecticut River is a mess.

The whole Upper Valley is a disaster, the White, the Ottauqueechee the Connecticut, all way above flood stage, houses gone, power lines and poles down, roads and bridges gone, it's generally unbelievable the amount of destruction that occurred in the span of less than a day.
JC

sickb4st4rd
08-30-2011, 07:02 PM
The whole Upper Valley is a disaster, the White, the Ottauqueechee the Connecticut, all way above flood stage, houses gone, power lines and poles down, roads and bridges gone, it's generally unbelievable the amount of destruction that occurred in the span of less than a day.
JC

The devastation was horrific. We all in NY dodged a bullet although my little village of Mamaroneck in Westchester once again made national news for flooding.

We are all thinking and have our prayers with those in Vermont, fellow fishers and otherwise, it was heartbreaking to see on the news. Hang tough.

Quentin
08-30-2011, 08:50 PM
We got lucky here in our little part of the Berkshires even though the center of the storm passed right over us. Other places in the Berkshires didn't fare quite as well, and there were/are serious problems just a few miles away in all directions. It's hard to believe that some people feel that the storm was "overhyped" by the media and government officials.

Q

Gseries69
08-31-2011, 08:39 AM
Quentin,

From my perspective we did not get much for wind. It might have hit 50MPH at the most. What killed VT was the amount of rain we got. Our small higher elevation streams collect that water and send it full speed down the moutain creeks and erodes everything in it's path. I imagine it's the same in the Berkshires. Once it reaches the bigger rivers, the roads, railways, etc block off the flood plain which would naturally disipate that power and instead increases the speed and power of that water once again.

It's a miracle that more people didn't get killed. I certainly didn't notice any hype from the local media up here, but I think overall our emergency management folks were prepared and did a good job. There is much to rebuild.

JonC
08-31-2011, 10:17 AM
Here's a pic of the White River right at the bottom of our road, those were all big trees there before the storm.The river came up over the road in many places leaving so much silt that it had to be plowed off and there are banks two or three feet high along the sides.
JC
http://i917.photobucket.com/albums/ad15/Jonrconner/b6b0d200.jpg

Quentin
08-31-2011, 07:08 PM
. . . I certainly didn't notice any hype from the local media up here, but I think overall our emergency management folks were prepared and did a good job.

Agreed. The warnings I saw were appropriate and necessary, and the folks responsible for predicting the path were spot on. In my immediate locale, I think that the severe thunderstorms that hit over the summer were actually a blessing in disguise because they had already knocked down many of the weaker trees and limbs. If we hadn't had the prior storms, all of those trees and limbs (and there were A LOT! :whoa: ) would probably have come down during Irene.

Q

JonC
08-31-2011, 07:33 PM
Response has been way beyond expected, we had a half mile of poles and wires down, in the last day they rerouted the power line with new poles an restored power to all the people downstream, all done by people and equipment that came up from Mass.
The road crews haven't slept, filling in holes and replacing culverts etc, mostly temporary fixes, just to get the roads passable again.
The real problems though, are the people whose homes were lost, crops lost, one farm along the river watched fifty cows get swept away. The whole shape of our valley has been changed. It's really heartbreaking to see.
JC