Fly Fishing Forum banner

Bonneville Counts....

2K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  KerryS 
#1 ·
Counts look more than adequate for a great Fall In Ore Ida Wa. I guess now its up to water conditions Temperature and Bureacratic decesions.
My Grand Niece is having here wedding and Reception at my place today, 140 guest for the day should be fun ( I live in Hope):D . Sooo that s kept me off the water but by Monday things should be back to normal and away I go.:cool:

#3 ·
Eric, Moonlight, anyone,
I would love a day on the Deschutes soon, Tracy says I deserve it as I have been working 12 hour days eight days a week, been eating dinner at 8:30 pm. But the house will be ready for us to move in mid September. It's looking really nice but I got to get the fence up. You should see the damn chicken coop, it's 120 sq ft with ceader shakes and hardy plank. Don't ask how that came about other than there was spare materials from the house. May have to put up a sat dish in case I'm thrown out and have to live with the cluckers.

Anyone want to go? We could do it on a mid week hopefully, go over in the evening car camp and be on the river before first light. Would have to be soon though as my Cross country coaching season starts on Sept 6th.

The guy next door said his brothers new to FF landed a fish 5 days in a row so there are fish to be found.
Lets go fishin!
Steve

#6 ·
At this time, I'm not sure if I can do a Deschutes trip before late October, but, that being said, Pine Tree to Heritage means floating the river, either by drift boat or raft, from a put-in on the Macks Canyon Access Road (a few miles north of the town of Maupin) and taking out at the mouth, where the Deschutes flows into the Columbia. Typically, it's two nights/three days on the river or three nights and four days on the river. You camp out on the river bank and choose your campsites to be located on good drifts. During the day, you float and fish (wading only) from one campsite to the next.

Deschutes Dreaming in Waldport

#7 ·
Hey guys - had a busy weekend and missed this thread BUT let's sync up... Kopij and I are most likely going to be on the Deschutes Sept 15-18th, 2011.

We are trying to figure out the logistics - we both have pontoon boats but mine is MIA after the move and I would have to ship it out from Boston. Looking at renting a raft as an option...

If you guys want to pool resources and have a mini-clave that would be incredible. However I would want to do a real clave when Eric is available, former Deschutes guide and river keeper, author of the great article http://www.flyfishingforum.com/articles/ericbigler/index.htm

I'm going to try to get back in October again, that float we did a couple of years ago was amazing.

#9 ·
Dollar lake fire is getting large, just to the north of Mt Hood. Lots of smoke around and hot as heck. With thermal low growing on coast, east winds may be very strong and fire heads into Bull Run water shed. That's Portland's drinking water shed and Portland has no filtration system. If fire burns deep into that water shed and when the rains come and they will Portland has no drinking water due to ash coloration. For me here in the village of Dee we could be in a bit of trouble because we always get winds from the west coming off the glaciers. That means fire can run in two directions east and west. But we will be moving into our new house in the next two weeks and out of harms way.

Fish still coming over the dam and moving up the Hood and rivers to the east and north.

#10 ·
Yikes! Keep us posted!

Here in Lincoln County we have had absolutely no rain in six weeks. In the 10 years I've lived on the coast, we've never gone more than two weeks without measurable rain. The woods here are extremely dry, and with deer season opener upon us, nimrods raising hell amidst the timber could be a problem.

There is no rain in the immediate forecast.

Meanwhile, our very best wishes for your safety, OC and our strong hope that the Bull Run doesn't get BBQ'd.

Eric

#11 ·
Ouch

Forest fires are going all over the place several large brush fires herer on the OP plus a a large Forest Fire in the Duckabush Olympic National Forest and Park trans boundry. That one they are going to let it burn. Should comsume a bunch of acreage as there is a hot dry spell forecast as far out as they forecast.:frown:

#12 ·
Eric, ya from one of the wettest springs to a dry, really dry summer. 100 today, kept my runners in the shade most of practice. Hunting season for me has become a night mare as my kid has found hunting, nothing wrong with hunting but he hangs with some of the lowest low life local 18 year old's around. When I hear about their hunting stradegy I cringe. I'm sure there is trespassing, poaching and too much booze. He is 18 and if he blows it not much I can do. These kids brag about how their fathers have all been caught poaching, nice crowd and it's only bow season, I took the gun safe to a friends house this week, no way he will use any of my rifles. So you are not alone fearing hunting season this year. Yuk, he leaves for school in October if he gets that far.

Moonlight, I didn't know you were having a bad fire season up your way. Is the fire a threat to run down the Duck into the homes?

#15 ·
I have been waiting for something to happen around my neck of the woods. Living in the hills just north of Sedro Woolley I am surrounded by many that couldn't finish high school. Wait, I didn't graduate until I was 32. Ok, never mind, I know that some of my neighbors are not as intelligent as I am. One of them is going to screw up and set something on fire. Actually anyone could screw up. The wooded areas around where I live are thick with underbrush from the wet spring and are now dry as a bone. If they start to burn we could lose some homes up here for sure. My wife and I have been clearing anything on our one and a half acre and from around the house that could possibly burn. It is going to happen here someday; a large fire on the west side in a populated area.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.