Carrying Two Rods? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Carrying Two Rods?

JLoop
08-16-2011, 11:48 AM
Returning to the flats in a couple of weeks with bonefish the primary target. But given the number of big barracuda present last trip, I would like to try for these toothy fish also if an opportunity presents itself. I have seen photos of anglers fishing the flats with one rod while carrying a second one attached to their back somehow. How do you carry a second rod while wading? Or would it be more practical to just cut off the bonefish fly and tie on a pre-rigged cuda fly / wire bite-guard when the chance comes rather than try to switch to the 10 wt.? Thanks for any advice.-- JLoop

JonC
08-16-2011, 06:49 PM
You've got a choice, awkward or inconvenient, and since bones are the target ninety five plus percent of the time, I'd settle for the inconvenience of switching flies and pre rigged wire. I think most of the pics of guys with two rods are in the Paciific where there are bones and there are GTs, and you can't throw at a GT with an eight weight and expect anything but disaster and lost or broken gear.
Jon

LeeG
08-19-2011, 09:10 AM
Personally, I always have a 9 wt rigged for cuda on the boat. When I wade away from the boat (90% of the fishing that I do) I have a pre-rigged leader/fly or the guide will carry the extra rod if he thinks we;re going to see a lot of cuda. If I'm solo, it's pre-rigged. I'm not willing to schlep an extra rod for the occasional shot at a cuda. Too much work.

Have fun fishing.

Walker
08-24-2011, 09:09 PM
I carry a cuda fly on a knottable wire leader in my shirt pocket. The wire leader has a pretied loop on the tag end. My bonefish tippet is attached to the leader loop-to-loop. I can switch them out in about a minute or so - usually fast enough to still have the cuda in sight.

A young dude or someone with good near-vision could probably do it in half the time.

doctorsteve
08-29-2011, 08:24 AM
You've got a choice, awkward or inconvenient, and since bones are the target ninety five plus percent of the time, I'd settle for the inconvenience of switching flies and pre rigged wire. I think most of the pics of guys with two rods are in the Paciific where there are bones and there are GTs, and you can't throw at a GT with an eight weight and expect anything but disaster and lost or broken gear.
Jon
Or the Indian Ocean. The only time I've ever carried a 2nd rod was for GTs. It is a huge pain in the ass if you're not a good caster or clumsy. Tough to get in an out of a boat with it on your back (I know, take it off then.) You really need a backpack type of pack. They usually have a couple of straps to hold the rod. Any of the good companies have them, Fishpond William Joseph, etc.

teflon_jones
09-04-2011, 03:22 PM
I tried carrying a second rod for cuda and sharks on Acklins last year, and it was just too much of a pain. If you're with a guide, I'd just let them hold the second rod. Otherwise, I'd just skip it and catch bones.

Henry
09-05-2011, 09:09 AM
I've given this one a lot of thought. Most of my DIY bonefishy adventures included the use of an inflatable kayak on Eleuthera. Having the kayak to get around was a godsend not only in the fact that my buddy and I could access more remote areas of the island...but also regarding the fact that we had a place to safely stow and carry all the gear and such necessary to make the outing more comfortable. Extra rigged rods, water and Kalkik beer in a soft-sided cooler, rain gear, lunches as well as cameras, GPS, GMRS radios, tackle and such.

I've often entertained the idea of a more "spartan" version of the kayak concept. Basically I envision an "innertube" type pool toy lined with a mesh net that I could inflate/deflate at will. I could stow all I need including a fully ready rod for Cudas or Permit. A mesh onion bag tied to a sturdy cord makes a great portable anchor. Just load it up with rocks, conch shells etc. and you have the perfect anchor. Teather the innertube to your waist and walk the flats at will. If you hit an area that you want to fish unincumbered, disconnect and anchor the unit or tie off to a mangrove shoot and you're a free bird. As well, after a long wade, it would make a great place to take a load off...sit your ass in the ring, crack open a klik and enjoy the scenery. If the days activities inclulde a "death march", that's easy too...deflate it and pack it away till you hit water again.

Just a thought folks and one I plan to try out next trip...worst case scenario if it doesn't work out, I've got a nice gift for some local kid.

Best regards,

JonC
09-05-2011, 05:53 PM
Henry's got the formula.
JC

teflon_jones
09-09-2011, 08:40 PM
Sounds like a great idea Henry. Let us know how it works out.

Casting at Shadows
09-10-2011, 03:43 AM
There must be a way to fashion some kind of strap to secure a second rod to your back so that it doesn't obstruct your casting. Sounds like a gap in the market :)

teflon_jones
09-10-2011, 08:16 PM
That's what I did to carry it C.A.S.

I have a rod tube that has a long carry strap on it, so I just rigged the rod, broke the rod in half, and stuck the separated ends into the tube. The problem is that it took too long to get the rod out and put together and line pulled off to the point of being able to cast before the permit, cuda, sharks would be out of casting range or right on top of you or upwind or in some bad position. And don't forget you now have the first rod you were using to deal with.

Casting at Shadows
09-11-2011, 09:28 AM
I remember last year at Christmas Island we were fishing for GT on the edge of a flat, and out of the channel came the biggest Barracuda I've ever seen. It must have been pushing 80lb. I only had my GT setup with me so made a cast to the fish. It immediately took the fly but unsurprisingly bit through my leader after stripping off 15 yards of line.
It made me wonder how long that fish would have stuck around and whether if I was carrying a second rod I could have made a better cast to it.

2nd Mate
10-01-2011, 07:04 PM
After my 2 years of fishing in the Chagos, it took me a while but with the help of a great fishing buddy, we were able to dial in the formula for targeting bones AND GT's. Many more bones of teh outer reefs but GT's could be found cruising as well.
this is how I was organized:
- Camelbak pack with 2+ lites of water and camera, flies, tippett snacks ect.
- 8 wt rod with a riptide spun with around 275 yds of 65lb gel spun for the bones and small golden trev's. Almost everything was eating a single crab pattern so that was all I needed.
- Finally either 10wt/Galvan T-10 with 375 of backing or.... a 12 rod and a T-14. Some kind of streamer....but it didnt really matter if a hungry GT was spotted on the prowl. The T-14 would absolutely muscle a GT with the only big fear was the coral or GT biting through the 80lb. After a few days and many quick swaps I could reel in and be casting at a big in less than 10 seconds. I missed a bunch of chances before I got it down but we had it pretty dialed in. Always kept the left side of the pack open for a quick stow and never had an issue with my casts and stowed rod getting tangled up. I really miss it there....... :frown:

overall I found no issue carrying a second rod and the swaps were very fast. ONe time we were carrying our rods and walking the beach when a 50lb GT cruises by and we spot him at the same time. Eric was a faster swap than me and the GT was on less than 15 seconds from when we spotted him. I was the slow swapper so I was also the one tailing the fish. It happens real fast and it really paid to be ready. saw a few cudas and only had one on....bitten off.

PopnesetBay
10-02-2011, 10:34 AM
2nd Mate,

you stateside now or someplace "out there"? Have missed your posts from 'deployment fishing' and wonder what is up?
Tight lines, where-ever you may be

Pete Readel
PopnesetBay

2nd Mate
10-02-2011, 11:23 AM
back in Mass. I have been chasing stripers on a hidden flat on the NS for the last few months. Too bad they are lost right now. Still trying to get back to "the island" for my next job as my last contract expired.

Vince
10-02-2011, 11:48 AM
2nd mate it sounds like this system would work well. Thanks for the ideas!

2nd Mate
10-02-2011, 02:19 PM
one thing I forgot to say was that I would at times keep my fly line on the reel with zero drag while searching for bones then strip fast and cast....... or other times just ensure my leader knots small enough to pass through the guides so I could quickly reel the crab/fly all the way to the first guide to aid in a smooth fast swap. I am sure you will find what works best for you but one way or another you will have it down after the first few times you are too slow because your heart rate spikes and causes you to do something silly like back cast:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: into a palm tree.........( there were 4 GT's all over 50lbs, one black GT and 14 ft shark about 15 feet off the beach on this particular screwed up transfer to a heavy rod)

and go get em'

doctorsteve
10-03-2011, 02:19 PM
one thing I forgot to say was that I would at times keep my fly line on the reel with zero drag while searching for bones then strip fast and cast....... or other times just ensure my leader knots small enough to pass through the guides so I could quickly reel the crab/fly all the way to the first guide to aid in a smooth fast swap. I am sure you will find what works best for you but one way or another you will have it down after the first few times you are too slow because your heart rate spikes and causes you to do something silly like back cast:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: into a palm tree.........( there were 4 GT's all over 50lbs, one black GT and 14 ft shark about 15 feet off the beach on this particular screwed up transfer to a heavy rod)

and go get em'
2nd Mate,
I never heard of Chagos before, so I checked your other Post. I followed your link to that other fishing website. Holy ****. That must have been amazing there. I didn't have the time to read anything, just looked at your pics. Is that a place that anyone can go to, or is it a military area? Is there a fishing outfit there?

2nd Mate
10-04-2011, 08:23 AM
Diego Garcia is an atoll controlled by the British and American military. The only ways to get on the island are via military aircraft or ship. I think if I get a bit of time I will write up a bit under the other thread. thanks for the interest. now where the heck are the stripers???