Nauset Armada [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Nauset Armada

JonC
08-02-2011, 08:50 PM
One hundred ninety-two boats counted off Nauset between the public beach and the inlet, about half a mile out. They've been there for days, that's where the brood stock goes.
JC

waterworker
08-02-2011, 09:52 PM
Been watching them also from the coast guard side.Quite the circus.

saltfly
08-03-2011, 07:39 AM
ran into the indirect results of the so-called commercial fishing for bass.Went to one of the locations I walk my dogs yesterday morning[5:30] in Brewster.Stop the truck and hop out and was hit with a wall of stench.Knowing the aroma of death I look over an embankment and find over a dozen bass in the 30-32" range rotting whole in a pile.:mad: Maybe I'm jumping to conclusions but....It sure looks fishy to me.

FredA
08-03-2011, 08:16 AM
Stop the truck and hop out and was hit with a wall of stench.Knowing the aroma of death I look over an embankment and find over a dozen bass in the 30-32" range rotting whole in a pile. Maybe I'm jumping to conclusions but....It sure looks fishy to me.

I never had a problem with the striped bass hook and line commercial fishery but crap like that could turn me.

Also, if truly effective and practical, I would like to see a circle hook requirement for, at least, the recreational bait fishery. I see too many shorts along the beach that you just know were gut hooked by someone that went to walmart and picked up a rig just before vacation

BigDave
08-03-2011, 10:29 AM
I was out fishing among the fleet a couple of Sundays ago (commercial day) and it was a major turn-off. So much so that I went trout fishing last weekend instead. There is so much rude (borderline dangerous) boat handling going on that it's just not worth it. Some guys were doing it right but I saw a lot of 'gaff and release' going on. There is a noticable shortage of fish over 34" compared to the week prior to comm season. I have seen little to no enforcement on the water aside from the first few days of comm season. Sometimes there is an EPO at Ryders but I have not seen anyone checked yet. Hopefully it will be over soon.

saltfly
08-03-2011, 10:42 AM
I never had a problem with the striped bass hook and line commercial fishery but crap like that could turn me.

Also, if truly effective and practical, I would like to see a circle hook requirement for, at least, the recreational bait fishery. I see too many shorts along the beach that you just know were gut hooked by someone that went to walmart and picked up a rig just before vacation
agreed.I gave up my commercial license 2 yrs ago.I had'nt put a fish in a tote since 1996 when I worked on Nantucket during the day and fished from the beach at night.It was huge money[$5+#] over there but my heart got in the way.

boatdrinks
08-03-2011, 10:47 AM
Yeah I understand that it's legal and everything but it's pretty brutal and it seems to bring out a certain type of behavior in people.

FishHawk
08-03-2011, 08:38 PM
Ok, so we all had to get a Saltwater License , where the hell are the EPO?:eek:
Enforcement is the key to the Striped Bass fishery survival. FishHawk

Paxton
08-03-2011, 10:02 PM
As I was repeatedly and purposely "buzzed" (by a small boat) while fishing this year from shore, by a so called comm fisherman...he said..."I do this for a living and am a professional....you just play".....after the incident, I truly hoped that attitude was not of the majority.
I must look up the definition of "professional"....maybe age is getting to me and I forgot the true meaning.

boatdrinks
08-04-2011, 08:26 AM
pretty sure a license doesn't give priority over "playing". The only plus side to that nonsense is that it's more ammo for people who would like to see the end of commercial bass fishing.

FishHawk
08-04-2011, 10:49 AM
The recs also do their share of damage to the fishery. As I said earlier enforcement is the key . Look at the salmon rivers in Canada, they are protected and laws are enforced.
Catch a couple of yahoos and give them a hefty fine and the word will get out. FishHawk

waterworker
08-04-2011, 11:03 AM
sounds like a professional all right.... a professional what is the question.:Eyecrazy:

Paxton
08-04-2011, 11:31 AM
Waterworker...it was a guy in his 20s......I hope after he works 37 yrs as I (and many of us have) did and then decides to reward himself for his long and hard work...some ^%$#@!!! won't ruin his deserved joy on purpose.
I have an answer to what kind of "professional" he was...I'd write it here, but it would get deleted.
I have nothing against commercial fishing as long as the rules are followed and respect for others using the same enviroment is the norm. Everyone has a right to make an honest living as does others who have a right to get some hard earned relaxation.
Ron

jimS
08-04-2011, 08:20 PM
Saltily, FWIW, I'm really surprised that someone would discard keeper-sized bass. If they were commercials, I suspect they would have high graded on their boat and fish less than 34 inches wouldn't be kept. Sounds like an egocentric rec that high graded on shore. Regardless, a shame to waste a valuable resource.

Ron, I remember the day and the guy's comments to you. Some people are just plain selfish and you're pissing in the wind if you think you can change that behavior. Reminds me of the saying: What's mine is mine and what's yours is mine.

Stevo
08-08-2011, 09:06 AM
"High grading"... is this when people catch and keep fish then catch bigger so they dump the smaller, earlier caught, fish and keep the larger specimen(s)?

Jim

I think the saying is; what's yours is mine and what's mine is my own! :smokin:

jimS
08-08-2011, 11:44 AM
Steve, you are correct on the high grading, and unfortunately, it's not uncommon.

flydoc
08-09-2011, 04:35 PM
I'd be willing to give up medicine and devote my life to enforcement of the Marine Fisheries regulations with ONE prerequisite- I be given carte blanche to summarily judge, sentence, and execute any offenders ON THE SPOT- then chuck THEIR sorry ass carcasses to the great whites- that's if the great whites will have them:razz:

I'm getting mean in my premature old age.....and I blame the government......

NeilC
08-10-2011, 12:36 AM
As one of a pair of fly fishing Docs who relish their annual week on the Cape, it's saddening to read about the decline in both baitfish and Striper numbers for the shore based fishermen allied to this inexcusable fishmongery.

Perhaps we'll join you in your new enforcement practice - or maybe it's just because we're of similar age and share your respect and love of catching ( and releasing) Stripers on the fly!

flydoc
08-10-2011, 12:21 PM
Neil- yes, we'll have to get together sometime- for the fishing of course, not for the extermination of habitual offenders- I'd hate to be held (partially at least) responsible for Capt Keith (who doubles as a Harwich "bobby" in his other life) havng to slap the cuffs on any of you fine upstanding brethren from across the pond- he might be willing to turn a deaf ear/blind eye to my wanton acts of vigilante justice, but might have to put his foot down if things start to get "out of control" and others decide to get in on the fun:lildevl:
P.S.- my bucket list (things to do before I prematurely kick the bucket) includes a trip to your shores for a British Isles brewery tour- I'm making my own brews at home right now- believe that's also legal in your neck of the woods- a brown ale and an oatmeal stout are next on the agenda
Cheers!
Flydoc
aka James Shepherd, M.D
Harwich, MA

NeilC
08-10-2011, 01:47 PM
Jim,
I tried to find a smilie with its tongue wedged firmly in cheek, but couldn't!

My Cape Doc mate (also Jim) and I are club members of a great little river in Derbyshire: [URL="http://www.cressbrookandlittonflyfishers.co.uk/"] and we know of a couple of breweries nearby, as well as my Brother-in-law being both a flyfisher and veteran home brewer. Sounds like you need to be our guest if your UK bucket list trip makes it up your agenda soon.

Perhaps we may meet up in Sept on the Cape and share a couple of pints.

Neil

flydoc
08-10-2011, 10:00 PM
Neil- sounds great- let me know when you'll be coming over- hopefully I'll have some time off so we can hook up. Safe travels....
Jim