Youngster's Cape Fishing in July [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Youngster's Cape Fishing in July

JimD
07-15-2011, 04:25 PM
Our extended family has a rental in Eastham the week of July 23. I would like to get the youngsters (12 and 14) into some fish. They can handle a spinnning outfit but not a fly rod. A couple of folks have suggested the Race Point area for small blues but I could use a little more help to narrow the area and also suggestions on lures. Any thoughts?

saltfly
07-15-2011, 05:19 PM
Early bird gets the worm.......Herring Cove beach and Race point Beach at 1st light and at sunset.Metals[hopkins,castmasters,deadly dicks],pencil poppers.rubber[slug-go,ron-z,with and without leadheads.Do they fish very much or not?Also the ocean beaches in all the lower cape towns.Go visit Blackbeards B&T in Eastham on rte6.Paul will be glad to steer you in the right direction.

juro
07-15-2011, 06:49 PM
I would also hit Head of the Meadows at daybreak, otherwise known as "Coast Guard Beach" but not the well-known one, this is actually a town resident only beach during normal daylight hours but you can fish it mornings and evenings.

I've had great luck there over the years.

JimD
07-16-2011, 12:16 PM
Saltfly and Juro, thanks for the leads and tips; gives me a good idea of where to start. Seems the operative words here are "daybreak" and "dawn". Daybreak will be the challenge for son Jeff and I to roust two young teenagers. I will make a stop at Blackbeards to pick up some lures and go from there. Thanks again.
:)

Guernseybass
07-16-2011, 04:04 PM
Jim - how about one of the head boats, party boats ?

The kids would definitely catch some fish...

JimD
07-17-2011, 01:37 PM
Thanks Mark, I hadn't even thought about that. I will check it out.

Mike Oliver
07-20-2011, 05:34 AM
Jim,

If you are fishing that far north why not visit Nelsons Bait and Tackle. Really nice people and the shop is focused on spinning rather than fly.
I fear that if the youngsters will not get out of bed for the dawn happening then they can expect to catch zipo. 06:00 is too late tell them. Best to take the pain catch some fish have a blast then go back for some ZZZzs. The fish are often at dawn right at your feet on all the beaches suggested and I mean right at your feet running the bottom of the trough. Plastics would be my lure of choice worked very very slowly. Shads unweighted will be picked up by Bass just like they do live fish. It can be very stunning fishing. I sometimes wish I had not made the pledge of never taking my spinning gear to the Cape ever again. I suppose the way out of this dilema is to become a Polatician. LOL

Hope you all have a great time.

Mike

juro
07-20-2011, 07:51 AM
I sometimes wish I had not made the pledge of never taking my spinning gear to the Cape ever again. I suppose the way out of this dilema is to become a Polatician. LOL

lol - or step up your fly game to meet or exceed :lildevl:

Mike Oliver
07-20-2011, 08:17 AM
Always good to improve your Fly Game juro. But no I still get immense pleasure from Spinning. After bait begginings spinning came next before fly and I could never desert totally what has served me so well for so many years. With the exception of Cape Cod where this year even against the advice of other Brit Buddies I went fly Only and be dammed with any bad conditions that may arise. It was one of the better decisions of my life. LOL

Shame we did not get to meet up yet again. But is not easy when both of us are probably following wind, tide, and bait. Plus you have this awful complication of the curse of work.
Maybe next June?

Mikey. O

juro
07-20-2011, 09:32 AM
Definitely Mike! Let's make it happen.

From my perspective, there's also the luck of the draw... first half of July was really better this year for the places I frequent. Each year varies by up to two weeks by my guesstimation.

Also there are a lot of peanut bunker around very early and reports of bonito, so what seemed like a sluggish start may be catching up quickly!

In any case it's been a year full of discoveries despite the curse of work, maybe because I'm without a leash this year :lildevl:

Mike Oliver
07-20-2011, 01:09 PM
juro,

Ok this will be "The Challange of 2012". By then I will be sporting hair whats left of it thats a bit whiter and a be few pounds heavier. Bit slower and brain not as quick. Leave it too long and I will be in my Bath Chair. LOL

Mikey. O

JimD
07-21-2011, 06:21 AM
Mike,
Good thoughts: I think we are now on the path to get them out early, have fun and return to sleep as you suggest. I will keep talking it up but the rubber will actually meet the road at about 3:00 AM one day. My thought right now is Head of the Meadows as Juro suggested, at first light. It is fairly close to where we are staying.
Thanks,
Jim

Mike Oliver
07-21-2011, 06:51 AM
JimD,

Nice plan. Heads of The Meadow is a great beach and if no Mung around you have a fantastic chance of doing well.

Mike

saltfly
07-21-2011, 07:19 AM
was at marconi this morning at 5 walking my dogs[most daily].It gets alittle challenging managing leashes and flyline but.......Lots of bass and shad moving along the beach chasing very small bait[2" herring and smaller].Mix of fish 14" to appx 30" .Flies over 4-5" were ignored.The seals were there but quite busy munching on skates.Fish are at your feet to 80-90'.No need for distance.Small sweedish pimples to little gibbs pencils should work fine.This is happening along some other beaches too.Keep moving and be observant you'll eventually run into each other.

boatdrinks
07-21-2011, 07:59 AM
That's awesome saltfly! You saw shad feeding along the beach?

saltfly
07-21-2011, 09:38 AM
Big-Unz!!! like little tarpon.More fun than the bass

boatdrinks
07-21-2011, 12:41 PM
wow that's great, I've only caught them in harbors and estuaries. Very cool.

juro
07-21-2011, 02:25 PM
Wait until the Bigun's bass sniff the shad out :Eyecrazy: