Color for new flyline [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Color for new flyline

caddisfly4
06-26-2011, 09:56 AM
What is the best color for a new flyline one that won't spook Atlantic Salmon? Just wondering if one is better than another for stealth.

JR SPEY
06-27-2011, 08:07 AM
That's just about the last thing I would worry about when choosing a salmon line. About the only time I ever even thought about line color was when choosing a line I knew would be used to cast upstream for dry fly fishing. Then there's a real chance the salmon will see the line in the air. White or blue was always my preference there. When doing traditional down and across wet fly or skated fly fishing, there's really little or no chance of the fish seeing the flyline, in the air or when on the water. Pick a line that suits your casting style.

caddisfly4
06-27-2011, 09:46 AM
Thanks Jr my buddy was told by a guide that next time he should consider a white or yellow line (floating with dries) at the time he was using an orange colored line. Now in the market for a new line myself I just figured I'd ask.

JR SPEY
06-27-2011, 12:13 PM
I should have included yellow in my list as my current single-hand dry fly line is the Rio Atlantic Salmon line, and it's yellow. You want a pale yellow, though, nothing approaching chartreuse yellow.

caddisfly4
06-27-2011, 01:40 PM
Thanks again