Weekend [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Weekend

boatdrinks
06-14-2011, 01:24 PM
We fished the southside pretty hard this weekend. Despite the weather we were able to get out and find some fish. We hit the squire a couple of times for dinner as well were any of you guys there? Overall it was a very fun couple of days.

juro
06-14-2011, 01:42 PM
I made lobster rolls and seared scallops at home last weekend, and by the time I walked over to the Squire there was a line down the street! Must be summertime :)

FredA
06-14-2011, 01:55 PM
Didn't fish this past weekend but did have dinner at the Squire. Had the cioppino which I always like. Showed up early enough so the wait wasn't bad. Passed through the tavern on my way in and out looking for familiar faces but with the ripening cataracs I probably wouldn't know a familiar face in those dark places.

Wife's had me on a string and I sense it's about to break.:mad:

boatdrinks
06-14-2011, 03:02 PM
Wow when was the line? We had no problem getting in. That sounds pretty awesome Juro. I went quahoggin' on friday and we had a pretty serious clambake friday night which was a perfect way to end the day.

juro
06-14-2011, 03:57 PM
Sounds good... hey we should do a dog days get together. Harvest the wealth of the sea and have a cook out, burgers and dogs for the landlubbers. Stage Harbor has nice benches on the water and plenty of parking.

boatdrinks
06-15-2011, 08:14 AM
That sounds like a lot of fun Juro, I'll be up a lot later in the summer. I have a lot of distractions at the moment but august and september I'll be up a lot. Dig some'hogs and mussels and see how many ways we can prepare them? I love making portuguese mussels in large portions.

boatdrinks
06-15-2011, 08:18 AM
I wish there was somewhere we could do a real clambake on the beach, that is dig the hole line with rocks, build a fire and let it die, then cover the rocks with seaweed and your lobster and littlenecks then more seaweed, then sand. pretty sure the open fires rule stops us though.

PopnesetBay
06-15-2011, 02:37 PM
Afraid the old fashion 'bake' is out because of the open fire rule but a 'doledrum gathering" sounds like it would be enjoyable...get us pumped for the fall migration. Lets not let this idea drop between the rocks.

juro
06-15-2011, 03:57 PM
We can grill bass / blues, shuck and roast some clams, boil some crab, and tell a few stories. Not a bad way to spend an afternoon :smokin:

saltfly
06-15-2011, 04:12 PM
Remember you can have an open fire on the beach in the National seashore.You've just got to get[what else] a permit for the fire.Herring Cove ,Race Point,Head of the Meadow etc.That may be a possibility for you.Nauset south[after the birds fledge] people have open fires.:hihi:

boatdrinks
06-16-2011, 08:00 AM
Yeah this should be a lot of fun. Let's try to make it happen. I wonder how difficult it is to acquire said permit? I've definitely been to some bonfires at the beachcomber after it closed but those definitely did not have a permit.

saltfly
06-16-2011, 08:28 AM
Yeah this should be a lot of fun. Let's try to make it happen. I wonder how difficult it is to acquire said permit? I've definitely been to some bonfires at the beachcomber after it closed but those definitely did not have a permit.
You can look on the Cape Cod Ntnl Seashre web site for the "rules".Go to ...site index,Then-permits.A word of caution.Don't mention you are doing a clam bake.Because they may require the permit designee to be certified[certificate] in sanitation food handling if there's a large group.I've had to deal with this "situation" back a few years ago when we had a group fly charter and they wanted to the same thing on the beach.We were setting things up and got the "surprise" from a ranger.The result was we told them that we would'nt do the "bake" and were left alone.We waited till late[in the dark] and did it.No problem.the more remote the location the less b/s you'll deal with.