Best day for years today [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Best day for years today

Guernseybass
06-07-2011, 02:08 PM
windless and flat calm on the Bay side - 20", 26", 29" and 30" taped fish all sightfished.

I also lost two more keepers, my first and last fish of the morning - first one took under the rod tip and i forgot to strike, the second was a cow of around 36-38" which broke the handle of the reel on its second run, as the drag was on full and i couldn't stop it by palming, so i held the handle and pop....:(

plenty of crabs, tiny shrimp and 2" sandeels around, some pods of 3" baitfish.

fish were in 2's and 3's of keeper size and small pods of the high teens and low twenties, even right along the watersedge - except for the cow which was on its own in about 2 feet of water on the sand bank.

All were taken on a flatwing sandeel of my own tying :

you can just see the fly below the boga in this pic of the 30" :

http://www.stripersonline.com/image/id/1623464/width/1000/height/500 (http://www.stripersonline.com/image/id/1623464/width/1000/height/800)

the 29" fish
http://cdn.stripersonline.com/7/7d/7dedbdf6_neck7June004.jpg

and the offending reel sans handle mit eel fly :

http://www.stripersonline.com/image/id/1623479/width/1000/height/500 (http://www.stripersonline.com/image/id/1623479/width/1000/height/800)

am going back tomorrow :hihi:

Mark.

Guernseybass
06-07-2011, 02:12 PM
http://www.stripersonline.com/fish_photos/data/866/MJ_Sandeel_004.jpg

inspired by Jim Miller's simple flatwings :)

FredA
06-07-2011, 02:41 PM
Nice.

So days like that still are possible...

Adrian
06-07-2011, 02:52 PM
Nice one Mark :smokin:

boatdrinks
06-07-2011, 03:40 PM
awesome! Looks like fun!

juro
06-07-2011, 03:51 PM
Somedays I just hate my day job.... (well, except when the bills come around)

Nice work Mark! Glad someone enjoyed the bluebird day.

BTW - what reel?

JonC
06-07-2011, 04:05 PM
On another bayside flat, same bait, lots of fish, frustrated fishermen, didn't see a single fish caught. Tried all the usual flies, no takers. Spectacular day.
Jon

FishHawk
06-07-2011, 04:54 PM
Wonder what you'll be catching after your apprenticeship is over. :biggrin:
FishHawk.

CSJ60
06-07-2011, 07:51 PM
Nice going Mark, good stuff!!!

PopnesetBay
06-07-2011, 08:04 PM
ALL RIGHT!!!!! You did good! Nice to be in the right spot, at the right time, with the right fly and the right presentation. Now, hope you have a spare spool for that reel.
It is hell being stuck up here in Up-state NY for another couple of weeks.

Pete R

Jim Miller
06-08-2011, 06:55 AM
Ditto what Pete R said.
Very nice ties Mark!.....and kudos to a fun fishing day OTW! ;)
I'm envious and want to be there fishing too! :Eyecrazy:

I will have to settle for trout on the Battenkill this evening. :D

quinn_canfield
06-08-2011, 06:57 AM
Jim,
Where on the Battenkill? I have a place in Arlington. Fished it Memorial Day weekend.

Quinn

PEC54
06-08-2011, 09:26 AM
Good going Mark;excellent flatwing sandeels.I haven't been out since I 've come back from M.V.,to many home projects that have been to long on the back burner and o.t at work is killing me,I need some me time,hopefully Saturday I won't be required to do any o.t.,anybody going to be around?

Adrian
06-08-2011, 09:31 AM
Sadly, no Cape fopr me this week-end. Tides look nice for the flats too :frown:

But I really mustn't complain - this season has been pretty good so far ... :cool:

Adrian
06-08-2011, 09:32 AM
Sadly, no Cape for me this week-end. Tides look nice for the flats too :frown:

But I really mustn't complain - this season has been pretty good so far ... :cool:

vtloon
06-08-2011, 11:07 AM
Nice going Mark; shows what perseverance will do.
I plan on bringing the boat from RI to Dennis on Friday. Then, hopefully a little time on the flats Friday evening and Sat AM.

Jim Miller
06-08-2011, 01:40 PM
Jim,
Where on the Battenkill? I have a place in Arlington. Fished it Memorial Day weekend.

Quinn

Quinn
NY side...Rexleigh Covered Bridge area. Hope water level is good. How were things Mem. Day?

titleguy
06-08-2011, 02:27 PM
Sounds like a great day Mark.

Jim- you be nice to those pet fish.:tongue:

highway61
06-09-2011, 10:51 AM
You just have to love days like that. Thanks for sharing the photos. I like that tie too. But Mark, you are such a brute...go easy on the reels...

Steve

Stevo
06-09-2011, 10:58 AM
Nice fishing Mark and beautiful clear water from what little I can see... although I still can't quite believe you've got that horrible plastic reel! Time for a trip to see Scott at the Bears Den perhaps? :devil:

Guernseybass
06-09-2011, 03:05 PM
Nice fishing Mark and beautiful clear water from what little I can see... although I still can't quite believe you've got that horrible plastic reel! Time for a trip to see Scott at the Bears Den perhaps? :devil:

Wotcha Steve, well they've lasted me good for trout, salmon and bonefish so far.

but I did pick up a Loop CLW Evotec 8-12 last month for the T&T double hander, so i may switch my reels over to that for bass. I just prefer the composite reels for the salt - rust and grit doesn't effect them as much.

Thanks for your comments folks, I did go back yesterday but alas it was a more typical flats day for me - flat calm & sunny but flat light due to the heat haze.

A lot more bait was around, and I saw a dozen or so single small keepers but only got three good shots and got three spooks/refusals.

I did land one 20" blindcasting to avoid the white stripe, but the fish had either moved on or out - bait & fish were breaking off the beach all day (the Kayak guys would have cleaned up...)

back tomorrow to see if the migration brings any more in.

cheers

mark.

quinn_canfield
06-10-2011, 09:25 AM
Jim,
Sorry for the delayed response. The Battenkill was at a medium level over Memorial day. Certainly fishable. I picked up a couple of brookies so I consider it a good outing. These days I consider the Battenkill a brook trout fishery with an occasional brown thrown in as by catch. I've never fished the NY side.
Picked up a Wolff Ambush 4wt line to play with up there. Makes fishing nymphs on the swing much easier since there is so much brush along the banks and the rivers is pretty narrow.
Drop my a line if you are up there again. Perhaps we can get together.

Quinn