Dean bound.... [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Dean bound....

Moonlight
06-07-2011, 02:04 PM
Heading to the Dean River July 1 there is still time, if you hurry, to tie a dozen or so big King Salmon flys and I will fish them fo you during my week there! :lildevl:

juro
06-07-2011, 04:53 PM
Niiiiiicceee... pictures please. I've been lusting over that fishery for a while now, have to make it happen soon.

Eric
06-07-2011, 05:30 PM
It's been years since I fished the Dean, sigh, but enjoy recalling hooking many large, feisty, albeit somewhat long-in-the-tooth Nookies during my quests for steelhead, usually too late in the season for said Nookies to be prime (late July, August). Impressive, though, how readily those fish took flies. Too bad it isn't a general trait.

Will you be fishing above or below the falls?

Cheers,

Eric

Moonlight
06-07-2011, 10:52 PM
Above and below BC West has a Camp below the Falls and Jet boats for below and ATV Quads for access above the Falls. I did the same week last year it was "awesome". I'm already packing bought a new Berkie that hasn't arrived yet, the 10 wt 12' 9" 4 piece model and a Orvis Hydros Disc Drag VI. Guy said its tough to fish Albacore sooooo. I have well over 100 flies tied and am still thinking I should tie some big suckers on Brass Tubes!!!! I'm Hopeless near Seattle.:cool:

Eric
06-08-2011, 12:42 AM
Brass tubes? When I was there, back in the 90's, weighted flies were not allowed on the Dean. Maybe things are relaxed if you're targeting Springs (as they say in BC).

Jest wondrin'

Eric

Moonlight
06-08-2011, 09:51 AM
Several fellows were throwing very heavy tubes and leeches I assume its legal. After all there are guys chucking Brass Spoons and big chunks of pencil lead with drift gear.

FLGator
06-08-2011, 04:18 PM
Fishing the Dean for spring chinook is a dream trip for me. Have a fantastic adventure and please post a report upon your return.