Fly Fishing Forum banner

Update - the 100% sand-free wader project

12K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  JonC 
#1 ·
First phase looks very promising...

The boot has no-laces, no zipper or corrosive parts. It has good arch support (will test on a death march) and durable soles (it's the angler boot from Muck).

The gaiter is stretch neoprene and compresses the boot upper slightly as well as a tight fit on the calf. The foot just slips in thru the stretch collar. This is a neoprene sleeve meant to be worn on the forearms by commercial fishermen. It is available in various colors. Also, I found a US source for all thicknesses and colors of neoprene material in case of further customization.

By attaching the collar permanently to the boot (sewn, sealed) there will be only one possible invasive point - the top of the collar. But there is another component I am working on to solve that, but this already seems very sandless as it is. In addition to a death march test I'm also going to take it out on Nauset on an incoming surf this weekend as it is to see how it does... more to come.

See less See more
#2 ·
Here is the first prototype (sans interlock) under the OS Systems breathable wader cuff which is elasticized. I am pretty confident this is already one of the best setups I have ever used, or seen. Certainly the most comfortable.

And it's only half done...

#4 ·
Man this setup looks awesome (don't think it can withstand Nauset surf though !! :) ), and I really like the look of the OS waders you had on at the clave.. I checked out their site but doesn't seem enough info to make a decision on that vs Simms.

That muck boot looks comfortable but doesn't look too breathable though - have you had those on for longer than a couple hours? Beats the heck out of wearing standard wading boots on the flats though ..

-Harold

PS - if you were testing those OS waders, were you eventually going to post a product review or something?

#5 ·
I started with a couple of hours of incoming at Nauset with the setup. BTW - the piping plovers have closed the trail already :mad:

Then looked at the bayside, whitecaps. Ended up where I saw pods yesterday, but it's still too early in the flood and the fish were busting waaay out.

Came home to get lunch... not a grain of sand to be found inside the boot :)

Looking good so far, but I have not attached the sleeves to the boot yet which will make the lower opening inpenetrable. The upper opening is a little too tight to remove easily so I am going to cut a couple of inches off the sleeve which increases the diameter, it's uniformly tapered.

Pete - np, the product is available at Fisherman's Supply but XL is sold out. If you are using for waders XL is the way to go, of for your arms maybe a L will work (?) The brand name is "Imperial" and they are called "raingear wristers".

#6 ·
BTW I did not find them to be hot and they are comfortable. The OSS waders have goretex feet so that helps. I will give them a try with my Simms Guide waders which have neoprene feet and see how that feels. May be a little hot for long dry death marches.

I would agree that a lighter boot with a harder sole may be more ideal for long walks but they are much lighter and nicer than frankenstein boot foots and the sole is certainly not too soft.

The fact that they slip on and off without any laces or zippers is awesome. You have to be careful to get the right size for your wader setup... 1-1.5 sizes up usually.

I wouldn't get the OSS waders until all they consider all the modifications I am going to submit. Not that they are bad now, but they could be a lot better and they're the type to really listen.

#8 ·
Pete - they are the fisherman's boot from Muck Boot. Fully lined, very very comfortable. No zippers to jam, no laces to come undone - they slip on and the sleeve keeps everything out - I had zero sand after Nauset yesterday, and they aren't even glued on yet.

Recommend 2 sizes larger for neoprene foot waders, and 1 size larger for goretex or other thin foot designs.

I used them for a couple of hours in mild wading conditions over neoprene and they were tight at 1 size over. No sand got in but because the Simms Guide wader has no built-in gaiter to cover the sleeve I would think the stitching and glueing would be important for using with the Simms products, in addition to the 2 sizes over.

BTW the OSS comes with goretex feet, light and comfortable with this boot but I will have to see if the durability is there. I don't walk around bootless on pavement or rocks but I see a lot of fishermen doing it when prepping so durability is a requirement / consideration. Time will tell.

Goretex feet do go very well with this neoprene lined boot though... very comfortable.

#9 ·
One more note... Muck also makes a shorty, which I think will be worth trying given the neoprene sleeve will be sewn on by a cobbler and sealed with neoprene tape at the joint.

Have to test it but I assume it would be easier to put on/off and cooler for long walks in hot sun.

Right now I am going to continue with the mid-height, contacted a cobbler who said no problem sewing the sleeve onto the boot top.

#10 ·
Rather than spending for the cobbler, maybe just glue the tube on with goop or equivalent, should be just as effective and way cheaper.
Jon

#11 ·
I have never hired a cobbler before but I assume one rotation around the sewing machine anvil shouldn't cost me that much. Am I in for a rude awakening? I'll get an estimate before authorizing the work of course.

There is an aquaseal (best product for this application) and tape kit that is meant for sealing seams. This is available from drysuit catalogs.

I would feel much better about stitching beneath the seal/seam, this is a system I anticipate will last for several years. My previous boot lasted approx 4 yrs and had less reinforcement than the Muck, and 2mm neoprene. I am confident this will last much longer.

#13 ·
So I've been on a different path than Juro, but seeking the same destination and I've got the 99% solution, I don't think the last 1% is achievable with what I'm working with. I started out with Patagonia Riverwalkers a couple of years ago, they're light and comfortable but they let some sand in and eventually you had to take them off and clean them out. I figured out that the sand was coming in along the side of the tongue, so my solution was to sew in a gussett where the factory webbing stopped. With waders that have gravel guards this has been a very successful modification, last Saturday I wallowed around on a soft bar in Pleasant Bay with a hard current for quite a while after fishing an hour or so along the sandy edge and took on no sand at all save a few grains that I could have imported just putting on my boots in the parking lot.
Black material is what was added, it's just some elastic.
Jon

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.