Wonder how the latest wave... [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Wonder how the latest wave...

06-02-2011, 04:06 PM
of the British invasion is going in the post-storm splendor? Reports?


06-03-2011, 02:55 AM
I have heard through the grapevine that a couple of Brits (I don't personally know) have had a good time so far with plenty of keepers landed.
I'm afraid that's all the details I know.
I take it that the lack of posting means the fishing is top notch at the moment.
Let's hope the good fishing continues into next week.

Paul J
06-13-2011, 03:09 PM
It was a pleasure meeting many of you and an honour to fish with some of you guys.
I've just arrived back to the Uk and will put a series of reports and pictures up once i've had some sleep. Im sure my buddies on team UK will do the same.

Heres a couple of photo's to kick off with:

Pete Gray leads the charge:


Team UK



Mike Oliver
06-13-2011, 10:20 PM
Rough looking lot PJ.

Post storm and actually in it Stuart Mark and Gary did well in a certain channel. The rip Trip on Friday was good with a few fish caught sight casting.
I am personally struggling to find fish. drove for 5 hours today and only managed one weeny Twinkie. I am just so tired now. One full day left and panic and despair are looming just over the horizon.
Had a great Steelhead Dinner last night with Peter Petracelli and dinner tonight in PT with Herb and his wife. Both dinners were fantastic so thanks to Herb and Peter.
12 days of long hours of fly cazsting have done my wrist in. But I hope to hold on until Weds.

06-14-2011, 01:15 PM

I see you found those shirts Pete? It looks very phishy on you!

Mike Oliver
06-17-2011, 01:40 PM
This post deleted as I duplicated it by accident. Jet Lag old age and getting past it are my best excuses.

Mike Oliver
06-17-2011, 01:40 PM
Ok got back to Blighty 18.00 on Thursday tired but content. I had much fun trying to catch the 22:50 flight back to Heathrow I was on good time when barely 3 miles from Logan I took a wrong turn lets just say that wrong turn was repeated several more times and meant I was at the airport only 40 minutes before my flight was to leave. I turn up at Delta check in and it is as busy as the Mary Celest. I have missed the flight , but wait a lady shows up and just calmly books me in including my overweight bag and for no surcharge. Over the top because my wet suit had not dried out or my waders. To top this I left a knife in my carry on bag which the 3 TSA Guys took a great delight in discovering. I got the 3rd Degree. I was the only passenger in security so they had nothing to do but enjoy giving me a hard time. I cursed silently, after two hours of intense stress I was going to be denied my flight by these guys as it was time to board and I had a hell of a journey yet to go to get to the gate. Freed up at last I ran making sparks as I ran on the tiled floors in my studded wading boots. I make the desk at the gate. A lovely young Agent smiled at this Derelict and sweetly said no rush Sir we are delayed by 2 hours. What luck the delay had meant they could book me in with only 40 mins left to depart time. I was soaked in sweat and God knows how bad I must of smelt I certainly had a no go zone around me when I found a seat. I would be the one talked about when some poor unlucky individual got to sit next to me at some sad dinner party.
I boarded the plane but Satan had decided to throw in one last hand as a Nanny with two young kids were seated behind me. The youngest decided to scream for the next two hours before sleep finally took me out of my distress.
Lady luck returned when I landed at Heathrow as my Coach back to Birmingham was set to leave at 13:35 as for once my bag was waiting for me on the carousel, imigration was straight through and my innocent face face convinced Customs not to search my bags for imported American made fishing tackle. I ran to the information board in the Terminal building which informed me my coach stop was no 14 which was practically straight out the door. I ran with the wonky luggage trolly going all over the place and made my coach with 60 seconds to spare. It gets better I arrive in Birmingham coach station and my mobile rings it is the wife and she is parked up outside with our Dog Toby. I may do the Lottery on Saturday.
This kind of stuff was reminicent of my trip to Cape Cod. Stopped by Police at 01:30 and trying to convince them I am going fishing decked out in my wet suit and hood, having my car almost towed away in PT still cost me $50 plus a violation fine and the big Lady Traffic Warden reckoned it was my Lucky day. I blanked that morning fishing with Herb just to rub it in.
Worst incident was fishing Coast guard N. Turo when a huge wave knocked me off my feet and dragged my brand new 10 wt gifted by Herb right out of my hand. The surf went over my head and when I surfaced as luck would have it I still had my fly line in my line hand and managed to recover my rod. No fish that session either.

These were minor negatives in a fantastic trip made not by the fishing which in spite of being good at times was also very very hard but by the great friendships made in the past being re-visited in person plus all the new ones made along the way. Rip trips there were two and I got to eat dinner with Herb and his wife in PT plus a great Steelhead dinner with Peter Petracelli and his crew of 12 Guys.
There were a few memerable fishing moments my favourite was a morning on Coast Guard when I had arranged to meet up with Herb at HT but I was so tired from the night befores fishing that I was an hour late turning up. Herb had already taken 3 fish in the wash at dawn, I was so mad at myself but heh 3 rd cast using a D8 and a floating fly I get whacked by a 32 inches fish. This was great, and half an hour later on a fast dropping tide I get another hit. I lose this one after a short fight. By now I can get into the slough and edge my way over to the first bar. I make a cast to the bar and the fly is absolutely hammered with the take taking the Bass right to the surface in an explosion of spray. No chance or thoughts of hook setting, it was fish on and first away goes the fly line plus umpteen yards of backing. Herb at this time is just leaving the beach already having stayed too long and risking the wrath of his wife waiting for him in PT. After a spirited fight I slide the fish up onto the beach with the help of the rolling surf make a rugy tackle and she is mine for a few precious seconds whilst I unhook her admire her from for a few seconds before cradling her under my armpit and returning her to the surf. It was great to see her power her way under the foaming breakers.
I was now done and decided to leave for Nelsons Tackle and get breakfast at the Deli next door and make the PT flats for 2 hours before LW. The breakfast at the deli was aweful, plastic plate and plastic bacon and eggs and all for the bargain price of $9.29.

Other highlights was fishing with Herb who has been so instrumental in helping me return to health after a year of severe mental illnes of depression and anxiety.
The whole trip was a test of resolve and how robust my recovery had been. There were some jittery moments and plenty of testing going on but heh I got to the line.

Heh Jon C so sorry your post below reminded me of our morning at Nauset Inlet with a sea full of sparkle and energy and you catching a decent keeper off the sand bar by sight casting. It was great zooming around the marshes in your self built custom boat. Its a new dimension for me and I enjoyed my time with you immensely.

It was great to get onto the Rip trips and fish again with John Morin and Jim Sims and the irrepressable Peter Gray ( Penguin) and Bob, and Doug who handed me a much needed cold beer once back at the refuge. I got my first ever sight caught Striper and Blue fish. One of them was a single fish and Bob was a great help spotting fish for us Brits and Esa the crazy Fin. None of us Brits waste one precious second of these trips. Eating is a waste of fishing time so sandwiches are eaten after being snatched out of our rucksacs whilst walking back down to the water or for the slow eaters whilst casting. Esa from Finland spent 6 days and nights, with the Brit Team and he has a great sense of humour which is very necessary due to the number of wrong turns I took trying to find my way to marks new and Old. He is a very entertaining Guy to have around and I hope that you can make it out with us agin next year ESA.
My most successful fly this year was one developed in the UK and it was very boyant pattern fished on a very fast sink line with varying leader lenghts to match water depth and current. In the Rip it was deadly and once I had the technique down it totally out fished the std Clouser. I even had Bass take it off the surface when it was static just like a dry fly for Trout.

When I get a bit of time I will try and post up a pic and tying details. You ignore this fly at your peril.

Ok I am done prattled on long enough. In case I missed anyone and I am sure to have in my worn out jet lagged state sorry.

I am working on finding enough work to make my return next year . Its mandatory.

Thanks Guys for making it such a great trip for me and my Brit mates.

Mikey. O

06-17-2011, 02:29 PM
So thats it my first fishing trip to Cape Cod is over and what a fantastic trip it was.

My thanks to all who offered help and advice along the way and in particular to Mike Oliver, John Morrin and Pete Gray for a brilliant Rip Trip.

It was good to meet everyone and I found you all so welcoming.

Highlight for me my first fly/shore caught striped Bass


06-17-2011, 04:40 PM
Good to hear you made it back, with you, everything is an adventure.
Mike, searching for striped treasure in the shining sea.

06-17-2011, 05:33 PM
Great recap Mike I feel like I just lost 5 pounds just reading this!

Paul J
06-18-2011, 01:13 PM
I had a great time and caught a few fish but had to work hard for them. It is a labour of love and not really work at all
Thanks to our US brothers for making us feel welcome and for hosting the two rip trips at the sacred grounds of south monomoy.
I got two trips in and feel privillaged to have met and fished with you guys.
A special thanks to Saltfly who took time out to give me some coaching which resulted in some decent numbers of fish.He also took lots of photo's which i'd love to see if they are available? My new email address is pauljennings27@virginmedia.com.

all the best


06-18-2011, 01:48 PM
Hi all ,

I had a great first trip to the Cape made all the better by the people I met.
As previously mentioned we had to work for our fish which is something I'm more than used to in the UK but we still managed some great fish.
I really enjoyed the Rip Trip and a special thanks to the guys that organised it.
Hopefully I will make it over again sometime in the near future.
A special thanks to Mike for his advice on marks and tactics etc. His dedication and stamina for fishing is something else.
And a final thankyou to the people on this site for the pre-trip advice.

Mike Oliver
06-18-2011, 07:44 PM
Mark you and Gary did fantastically well by any standards but by first timer standards you were both awesome. Facts are you both caught more keeper sized fish from the shore than I did and in less time to. You both put your time in when it hurt and it paid off.
I just hope we can meet up again on the Cape. I appreciate that is going to be very tough for you as you now have a young family to bring up. Mine have all but flown the coop.
It would be great to fix up some fishing in England this year if we can manage it.
We have to try this boyant fly technique on home waters.



Paul J
06-19-2011, 08:30 AM
A couple more shots

Bob ( saltfly) sharing his knowledge and passion with Eesa and Mike


rip ryding away


06-19-2011, 08:55 AM
I had a great time and caught a few fish but had to work hard for them. It is a labour of love and not really work at all
Thanks to our US brothers for making us feel welcome and for hosting the two rip trips at the sacred grounds of south monomoy.
I got two trips in and feel privillaged to have met and fished with you guys.
A special thanks to Saltfly who took time out to give me some coaching which resulted in some decent numbers of fish.He also took lots of photo's which i'd love to see if they are available? My new email address is pauljennings27@virginmedia.com.

all the best

I'll send them off to you today.feel free to post them here if you'd like.I'm a little "challenged" in the computer side of things.I hadn't been down there in many many years even though it's in my backyard so to speak.As far as taking the time to help and take shots I've learned that friends mean way more than the fish.Too bad we couldn't run the world like we do the trips.We'd all be better off.Even Gary had a great time after he dried off from his disembarking'swim'[sorry gary,had to throw that in].A classic day with classy people.

Paul J
06-22-2011, 11:36 AM
Thanks Bob, here goes:











Paul J
06-22-2011, 11:37 AM









Paul J
06-22-2011, 11:38 AM

06-22-2011, 01:22 PM
great pictures guys! Saltfly, that's an awesome looking wrangler! Love the fly rod racks.

06-22-2011, 09:25 PM
well done Paul.I'll figure out this posting/attachment stuff sooner or later.Boat dinks.....That's my "91" beach bomber.It's great running the beach[when they're open],pulling my tin skiff[16'] in tight places,and pulling the drain plugs inside to run the hose washing the salt sand debris off the floor.There's also a rack on the front bumper to accomodate 4 conventional/spinning rods and 3 flyrods.Also there's a sling rack inside the hardtop to accomodate 6 broken down rods if needed.Just like a fully loaded"bomber":chuckle: :hihi: The only thing I don't like about them is if you get hit while driving one it's like being in a beercan[crunch:hihi: ].

06-23-2011, 08:07 AM
Yeah I thought it was a "YJ" but I couldn't tell from the picture. Every flyfisherman needs a good fishing jeep.