Nauset Inlet on foot [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Nauset Inlet on foot

Mike Oliver
05-27-2011, 02:02 PM
Guys hope this question is ok. If not stay stum. I plan to stomp my way to Nauset Inlet. Whats the view on should I do this from the North via Coast Guard Beach or is it better to walk up from Nauset Beach. Am I looking to be fishing the last couple of hours of the ebb.

Thanks

Mike

PEC54
05-27-2011, 02:56 PM
Mike I'd keep an eye on wind direction,it's a tough place to fish with a stong east or southeast wind if you come from Coast Guard beach,North or northeast when approached from Nauset.Personally I'd think of another place to go,It's been a very long time since this location has fished well for me.

JeffSod
05-27-2011, 04:52 PM
Fishing qualities aside I think the walk is shorter from the North but parking at the CG station is often closed to vehicle parking in season. Knowing the way towns are hurting I wouldn't put it past Orleans to start charging this weekend too.

Mike Oliver
05-27-2011, 05:06 PM
Thanks Jeff and PEC54.

We are all hurting so the solution is to screw each other got to love the philosophy.

Mike

JonC
05-28-2011, 07:32 AM
Mike, did you get my PM?
Jon

saltfly
05-28-2011, 09:20 AM
Walk some other beaches to the north.Much better structure and much less b/s.Trust me.Fish the flood.

Mike Oliver
05-28-2011, 11:07 AM
Mike, did you get my PM?
Jon

Yes. Just got back and read it. Don't forget we have a 5 or 6 hour time difference.
Will email you as suggested. Thanks Jon.

Mike

saltfly
05-29-2011, 11:59 AM
Mike.....empty your mailbox of some of the junk:chuckle: can't get in.:whoa:

Mike Oliver
05-29-2011, 05:02 PM
Mike.....empty your mailbox of some of the junk:chuckle: can't get in.:whoa:

Sorry Mate just binned a load of old Tosh.

Mike

Greg Pavlov
05-29-2011, 11:42 PM
I've done the walk from Beach Road north to the break 25 or so times but no more: there were a number of spots along the way where there were often fish, so even if the end wasn't productive - and it often wasn't - you could fall back on other spots to make the walk more interesting. We started out on it last week and gave up after the first mile and a quarter or so, since much of the shore line is being filled with sand carried out of the inlet (and down from further north, I would guess). And any time there are fish along that beach there are also seals. I counted 20+ in one pod.

There have been huge changes on that stretch of beach over the last 10 years, including the disappearance of much of the dunes that once guarded it.