Spring Clave - Open Discussion [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Spring Clave - Open Discussion

juro
05-25-2011, 09:26 AM
Hey all - I'd like to get some feedback from participants on the Spring Clave.

Over the years each event I instigated was done for a certain rationale... for example:

Boneclave - albies and bones on flies, camping right where they are

Rip Trip - overcoming the Dog Days of summer by going down to the flush point

Big Brother Day - share our passion with inner city kids missing a complete parent influence in their lives

Rhody Clave - stretching the season into October, post-season lodging rates and meeting with guys like Art Burton

Outer Limits - learning to fish the outer beaches with guys like Harry Koons

Big Girl Clave - she didn't last but we landed several over 40" from the beach before the parking curfew of 9am in one morning on flies! Hope she comes back soon, the Big Girl.

Monomoy Clave - sight fishing 101

Fly shows - promote awareness, break up winter doldrums

The SPRING clave is scheduled for the last weekend before Memorial Day each year and it's intended to be:

- a kick-off point for the striper angling season
- making new connections and reviving old
- taking advantage of the off-season rates
- intercepting the migration

Some years have been cold and miserable, and some have been warm and stellar. This weekend is on the edge of seasonal variance and is susceptible as such.

What are everyone's thoughts? Should we kick it off later when the season is sure to be in gear, and lose the pre-season advantage?

Kimosabe
05-25-2011, 01:07 PM
I like the Spring kick-off...fishing maybe spotty but after a long winter...it is good medicine for the soul.

Love to participate these in the future.

Big Brother Day
Rhody Clave
Outer Limits
Big Girl Clave
Monomoy Clave

Thanks for all you do!!!

Quentin
05-25-2011, 10:17 PM
I'd like to see the spring striper clave continue to be held prior to the memorial day weekend. It might not always be prime time, but it's not supposed to be prime time -- it's supposed to be the opening kick-off.

Q

sickb4st4rd
05-25-2011, 10:37 PM
Although this was my first Clave I like the pre-season advantage, and the lack of tourists.

Of course, if you follow up on your plan to have someone open up a nice breachway with a missile for us, the actual Clave date won't be so critical!

juro
05-26-2011, 04:55 AM
HAHAHA - get that NYC street painter to do a MIG fighter on the new land bridge...

pilot: "firebird to base - verify sighting of bogey at 05 hundred"

Otis AFB: "say again 0 FIVE hundred, as in 'on the ground' 0 five hundred?"

pilot "affirmative, arming weapons"....

Jim Miller
05-26-2011, 05:01 AM
As one who can not get away more than once in the Spring....I vote for having the clave in June when the fishing is hottest. A sure thing works for me!
(froze my A$$ off monday...50 degrees, fog rain,wind....yuk!) :Eyecrazy:

FredA
05-26-2011, 06:44 AM
I like it between Mothers Day and Memorial Day Weekends. But I don't have to travel, I'm here anyhow. Two years ago we had it the weekend after Memorial Day and that seemed to work out well. Note that the same year it was absolutly miserable the last two weeks of June so nuttin's ever a sure thing. I would defer on my preference to those (many) who travel to attend.

dudley
05-26-2011, 08:05 AM
I've never been to your clave, but for the last 16 years my buddy and I have always come up the week before the 3rd Saturday in June. Just before school gets out.
Most years we camp so the weather is a big consideration, and even then it's not always the greatest. I remember just a few years ago when a north wind never dropped below 20mph all week, gusts to 40
Besides the possible better weather, I don't think you're missing much. Numbers are down and little matters if it's at the start or the middle of the migration.

sickb4st4rd
05-26-2011, 08:42 AM
Otis AFB: "say again 0 FIVE hundred, as in 'on the ground' 0 five hundred?"
pilot "affirmative, arming weapons"....

http://vicente.hastek.net/stripah.png

Gseries69
05-26-2011, 10:19 AM
I haven't always been involved with the dinner but I am always down the weekend of the clave. The past several years the fishing has been very good, but I'm almost always fishing in Barnstable county to the east that early. This year the fishing was actually very good the weekend before the clave.

June would be great but I think it may be more difficult in terms of scheduling. Once school is out it gets harder for some, and the locals seem to get a bit more serious about the parking rules and having parking stickers. I'm usually done by mid June just because I can't find a place to park and it's quite a bit more crowded ie traffic, parking, other fishermen, etc.

At any rate I had a great time and caught some nice fish. I'd really be interested in the camping/fishing outing and hope to make the Big Brother event (though I'm not sure I will be able to make it). Please let me know if you need any help in the future. It's never fun to have to organize everything on your own.

GMflyfish
05-26-2011, 10:37 AM
Managed to attend the Clave this year, and enjoyed the affair and caught just a few fish. The lobster dinner was good, if messy.
I prefer the time before Memorial day, since there is likely a bit less traffic, and less parking hassle. The fish can be there usually. One takes a chance on the weather, but that can also be poor later on.
GMflyfish

PopnesetBay
05-26-2011, 08:14 PM
The weekend before Memorial Day works best for me and after attending the last 5 or 6 "Striper Claves" cannot say that later would be much better. As has been said, the 'Clave' is not about just 'catching' but more of sharing and knowledge. Meeting old friends and making new ones. Clambake was excellent but it was "messy". Would be interested in attending something along the same lines in RI/Conn in the fall to catch the return trip migration.
Look at the number of attendee's, don't fix what ain't broke(like my rod tip)

Pete Readel
PopnesetBay

Nu email: petereadel@gmail.com!!!!

fishfeetish
06-02-2011, 09:51 PM
As this was my first spring clave, Iím obviously no expert, but I enjoyed it immensely; what a great group of guys. And being my first time with fly rod on the water, I appreciated the seasoned advice I got, especially the patient mentoring from Al from Maine. That I was successfully casting into a strong breeze on Monomoy by the middle of the first day, and landing my first two stripers on the 2nd day was more than I expected. The early date seems perfect to me for avoiding the crowds. From my years of going to the cape, you can never predict what the weather will be at any time. I would suggest one or two more organized group outings during the clave especially for the newbies and solos