Fishing on the Cape 6/5 - 7 [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Fishing on the Cape 6/5 - 7

quinn_canfield
05-23-2011, 12:37 PM
Forum,
I am heading down to the cape (Orleans) for a couple of days in early June with a couple of friends. In the past, we have fished in Pleasant Bay (around Strong Island), Hardings beach out to the light house and a little on the canal mouth (bay side). We are on foot using fly rods but normally carry travel spinning rods as backup. Normal fly, switch and spey rods are all available. So here is my question....

Any suggestions of where to fish? We are open to anywhere on the cape. Also if anyone would like to join us please let me know.

Thanks,
Quinn

Mike Oliver
05-23-2011, 06:06 PM
Quinn, Thats a big question. I find it best to go with your own intuition. So many marks on the Cape to chose from.

Your choice is going to be effected by wind and potential weed and tide. I would hit my favourite spots and fish em hard if no joy move on and search. Wind in face is not much fun casting wise but fishing a lot better than when at your back. I have a Brit Buddy who has just left the Cape. He has done very well on fly fishing structure on big ocean beaches with the fly rod.

Mike

juro
05-23-2011, 07:03 PM
Those are good tides for sight fishing if the conditions allow. Best thing to do is ask again just before you go.

As Mike points out, conditions are a big part of the equation so the more current your information the more accurate it will be.

Also call Rip Ryder and get the scoop on how anglers are doing out on South Beach and Monomoy that Saturday. There's a really good northward flow on the upper west common flats on the flood that tells all the migrating fish which way to go, it also shunts bait (when it gets thicker) right into their feed lanes. Look for the sand bar island covered with birds, but don't walk out there - just a landmark. Gorgeous out there, like nothing else in the area.

Contact Capt. Art Sawayer (fin fun charters) to be put right on top of the fish all day on his Jones Bros.

I also like that tide for subdued oceanside surf unless you have an "E" in the wind direction.

Bottom line, ask again nearer the date for best results.