New Zealand Fly Fishing [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: New Zealand Fly Fishing

wmcfall
05-19-2011, 08:37 PM
Just got back from my annual trip to the South Island of New Zealand and I'll post a few pictures if I can figure out how to do it. Fishing was great this year, topping the list of memories was a 9 lb Brown on my 5 wt St. Croix Legend rod taken on the Ahurriri River. He fell for a size 14 parachute black gnat. My net was a bit small for the critter!

Another nice one was a 7 lb Brown on the Waikaia River, followed by a 6 lb just a little further upstream. These were fooled by titanium beaded hares ears, size 18. Such fun! Many more rainbows and browns were taken in the 3 to 5 lb class on several other rivers during my stay.

Regretablly, we must sell our place and the campervan due to changing priorities in the grandkid department. If you know of anyone interested, check out my website (http://www.mcfallrentals.com/nzfishhaven) at or call me in Boise at 208 342 4530.

Eric
05-22-2011, 11:00 AM
Looks and sounds like a wonderful trip. Thanks for posting up the photos -- very handsome fish.

Any new hassles regarding what equipment you can and can't bring into the country?

Cheers,

Eric

wmcfall
05-22-2011, 12:43 PM
Mainly that you are not allowed to use felt soled boots any longer. Other than that it's pretty straight forward. I like to take my 5 piece St. Croix rod so I can put it in my suitcase. I have had a friend lose a rod in the transport process, so I am a bit cautious that way. Good luck!!!

juro
05-23-2011, 09:15 AM
Looks like trout heaven. Have you tapped into any of the searun populations I read about?

wmcfall
05-23-2011, 11:56 AM
I caught 1 - 7 lb brown that I think may have been a sea run because it was absent any coloration except for the black spotting. I did spot a 10 - 12 lber under the willows in the Pomahaka about 2 miles from our house that had to be either a chinook or a sea run brown. He slipped away before I could get a fly to him.