Fridays JFBasser 2 hand canal day striper clave kickoff [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Fridays JFBasser 2 hand canal day striper clave kickoff

PEC54
05-17-2011, 09:15 AM
Hows that for a title ? Meet at the public fishing pier off the road to Scusset beach,(mainland side) go to the service road along the canal and turn right,I'll be about 200 yards down. Anytime after 5:00 am or earlier, low tides at 7:51 am.

Adrian
05-17-2011, 09:25 AM
See you there Paul :smokin:

flydoc
05-17-2011, 09:28 AM
Count me in- I think Steve (highway61) might be interested as well.

Jim Miller
05-17-2011, 09:35 AM
Paul
not being familiar with that area, I did a mapquest. Did not see the fishing pier???
is it on the canal or CC Bay beach side.
Thanks

ps. will colorful flies work up there? :Eyecrazy: :tsk_tsk: :hihi:

Gseries69
05-17-2011, 10:14 AM
See you there.

Adrian
05-17-2011, 10:30 AM
Here's a link to the Army Corps of engineers map:

http://www.nae.usace.army.mil/recreati/ccc/recreation/recmap.pdf

You'll see the fish pier on the mainland side - "East End".

Jim Miller
05-17-2011, 11:17 AM
Got it...thanks Adrian

Sooo.. tide moving right to left
A LEFT Handers setup?
(I am a lefty :D ) and need all the help I can get! :whoa:

vtloon
05-17-2011, 11:44 AM
I'll be there.

Adrian
05-17-2011, 11:49 AM
Got it...thanks Adrian

A LEFT Handers setup?
Jim,

The great thing about two handers is it doesn't matter which way the current is flowing, which way the wind is blowing or which hand you pitch with. :smokin:

The only problem with the Canal is when fish are breaking on the opposite bank - which they are inclinded to do - its a tough wade getting across :hihi:

PEC54
05-17-2011, 12:03 PM
Depends on when you get there. About an hour and ahalf before 7:51,roughly6:30ish, tide will be going slack getting ready to switch east this will be a right to left current flow from this local.If you arrive early tide will be running west left to right.

highway61
05-17-2011, 12:21 PM
Yes, Ill be there too.....now if I can figure out how to use my 2 hander I'll be all set!

Steve

Jim Miller
05-17-2011, 12:24 PM
OK!
So I have a Skagit setup on a 13' 8/9 rod that can have a floating MOW tip or 10' MOW t-14.....or a 15' section of leadcore that I made up. (total 740-780 gr.)
What do you regulars usually start with?
On top....or lower in the water column?

PEC54
05-17-2011, 12:41 PM
Here I am devulging all my canal 2 hand secrets on the web:Eyecrazy: ,but here goes:if the fish are showing on top use a floater:chuckle: ,if you don't see em use sink tips :devil: 5-10-15 foot will be fine.

PEC54
05-17-2011, 12:43 PM
Got it...thanks Adrian

A LEFT Handers setup?

There's no such thing as righty or lefty in 2 hand casting,there's just right shoulder or left.:D

flydoc
05-17-2011, 12:59 PM
According to the tide chart on the Army Corps of Engineers website for the Canal (Paul probably knows exactly how off the tide charts really are), at the "Sandwich" end the low this Friday AM will be at about 8 AM, with a good "negative" tide- slacking to high tide around 2 PM- with East flowing current (right to left as you stand along the mainland side of the Canal) beginning around 6 AM and shifting back to West flowing (left to right) around 12:30 PM- again, this is based on the info in the tide chart on the website, not on any personal info/experience on my part.
Will be a good idea to check the wind direction for that morning, as it will obviously factor into cast selection as much (if not more) than the current direction.

Jim Miller
05-17-2011, 01:01 PM
agreed in concept Paul

But there is a HUGE difference in how I perform a left or right shoulder cast!

no kidding....some good....some not so good. :Eyecrazy:

PEC54
05-17-2011, 01:13 PM
Good catch Doc ,I was looking at Saturday,low tide for Friday is 7:51am this means the tide will go slack roughly 6:30ish,oops my bad yo!:roll:I've gone back to previous posts and corrected my fopa.

vtloon
05-19-2011, 07:38 AM
Any suggestions for a basic but clean hotel close ? DISREGARD, I'm all set.

PopnesetBay
05-19-2011, 12:24 PM
See ya all there. 5AM ish. Should be fun!!!

Pete Readel
PopnesetBay

juro
05-19-2011, 04:33 PM
We miss you Basser.

PEC54
05-22-2011, 08:23 AM
We had a good turn out and some fat mid 30" fish were caught,the fish showed sporadically,with lots of large pods of bait,at one time we had sea herring ,mackerel,alewife's and one very badly beaten up menhaden mixed in.

juro
05-22-2011, 04:50 PM
Paul - we heard about the nice fish you got the guys into and also your skills casting the two-hander in tight quarters. I was pissed I had to work, last meeting was 3:30p that day so no chance in hell.

Let me know when the next workable tides are coming and if I can't play hooky I will burn a vacation day if I have to.

vtloon
05-24-2011, 08:17 PM
Paul, thank you for setting this up. It's going to become a regular stop.

JeffSod
05-25-2011, 10:18 AM
Wish I was able to meet up with you guys at the canal. One of these days I will make it down to see the two handers in action on the banks of the canal.

What is a good starter rod for this fishing anyway? Brand, model, length and weight?

juro
05-25-2011, 10:31 AM
Jeff - Years ago, I remember a very generous box of beautifully tied flatwings you sent. I'd like to repay that gesture. I have a demo rod in great shape, 14ft 9/10. You're welcome to use it to explore Spey casting but you'd need to get a line for it.

JeffSod
05-25-2011, 10:53 AM
Very generous offer. Thank you Juro!

I can certainly obtain a line just not sure what the best choice would be. The canal is close enough to me that I can get down there after work or mornings and practice.

Gseries69
05-25-2011, 11:11 AM
Speaking of lines for the canal, I noticed that a combination of spey casting and overhead casting was the best method watching Paul boom out long casts with a nice loop. It certainly sparked my interest in fishing the canal more often using that style.

The question is, what adjustments should be made for rod/line combinations. My rod calls for a 550 grain skagit for that style of casting, however using that same line to overhead with 12' of T-14 made the rod feel very soft and mushy.

The steep banks make overhead casting a longer overheadline at say 37' catch the rocks and bushes, while the steep drop off into the canal didn't leave much room to form a D loop for spey casting and would catch the rocks at your feet.

I imagine there is a line and method that would work, but the cost of trying numerous lines to figure out which is best could be prohbitive.

My first though is to try a skagit short head on a running line that is lighter than recommended for a particular rod. Enough to load the rod to change direction but also short and within the grain range for overheading a particualr rod so that it doesn't reach too far back and catch what's behind.

Or, maybe I'm overthinking it?

PEC54
05-25-2011, 12:36 PM
I was using a 15' redington 10 wt coupled with a 700 grain Rio skagit flight head @ 30',I also had a 10' t-14 sink tip,with this set up I'm able to perform spey type skagit casts as well as throw overhead casts well over 100 plus feet at the canal.
The one major thing about skagit casting when attempting to form a D-loop is the 45 degree thrust aspect ,at the canal because of the way your set up ,usually for the most part out of the water and amongst jagged rocks you can't throw a normal back cast D-loop,this is why the skagit works so well here.The 45 degree thrust is kind of a half a$$ D-loop ,where the backcast is not thrown to the rear on the back swing,but on the rear swing the rod is thrust up ,off the level parallel plain throwing the line into a D-loop that travels up rather than out behind.I would suggest getting Ed Wards DVD the Skagitmaster,this will show you all you need to know to fish the canal effectively with the 2hand fly rod. Any time anyone wants to hook up there (pun intended),PM me here,I'm always around.I may also add that the location we were fishing was a good place for what we were doing,but is was also chosen for ease of accessibility for everyone on foot, meet me down there with a bicycle and you will see many,many locations that are perfect for every type cast with a 2hand rod.

juro
05-25-2011, 12:53 PM
Knowing Ed well I'm sure he'd enjoy the results you've achieved. Maybe we can get him out here.

Paul, I'd love to check this out... I'll PM you to coordinate.

PEC54
05-25-2011, 01:10 PM
I was wondering if you knew him,he seems like a pretty cool as well as a knowledgeable guy. I like his approach to fishing and the use of the skagit method,as he says it's not always pretty but it's always effective, emphasis on Effective.This method has most certainly been a big influence in how I approach all my 2hand fly casting and fishing.

Gseries69
05-25-2011, 01:27 PM
Thanks Paul. I'm interested in learning more. I'll track down a bike and send you a PM if I can get one. I'll be on the Cape again next Thursday.

bender
05-25-2011, 03:39 PM
Very generous offer. Thank you Juro!

I can certainly obtain a line just not sure what the best choice would be. The canal is close enough to me that I can get down there after work or mornings and practice.

I like Rio AFS heads and they come many sink rates and weights have very small tolerances. They have very long front tapers so they are easy to Spey cast because anchoring is not too critical. AFS casts and shoots OH very well too with same head weight without rod overload symptoms. But AFS long and thin tip limits fly size some and it does not straighten to head wind the best. Straightening improves when you shoot so that shooting line stops running abruptly. Also if needed you can OH cast big fly just turning thick rear end towards the fly.

Adrian
05-25-2011, 05:55 PM
From the moment when I read about guys fishing live herring for trophy bass in the Canal 10 years back, my mind has been on cracking the code with Spey/Double handed techniques. Thanks to our old friend Basser and now to Paul, we are seeing the idea develop and steadily grow. It was great seeing a couple of quality fish being taken last Friday.

Juro, you have to get down there! You will encounter challenges that will get your brain going into hyperdrive. And there is every chance of hooking up with a 30lb Bass. If I can be there I would love to see the results!

vtloon
05-25-2011, 07:50 PM
Yup, Friday's experience (my first on the canal) made a believer out of me. The spot I was at had a very strong back eddy between me and a seam which screamed fish. Overhead was not an option. Intermittent whirlpools would form in different spots in the eddy, so the anchor positioning phase of the cast was seldom the same on consecutive casts. Likewise the mend portion could be hard right on one cast and hard left on the next or multiple little hops over whirlpools. Only the 45* thrust and forward cast remained consistent. When I could get it right it worked well, but some of my casts had no classic name.
And when pods of big fish crashed through and busted bait on the edge of the seam.......