First time out [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: First time out

juro
05-15-2011, 06:12 PM
Hit a number of spots today, first outing 2011.

Saw a big school immediately, relaxed and strung the line through the guides. Water turbid, seals patrolling and the wrong tide. Didn't see another fish on a 4-5 mile tour until I got back to within sight of the jeep... an absolute cow, swimming solo. Tourists flying kites and walking wondering WTF as I ran to get ahead and it ate the fly on the second shot maybe 12 feet from shore and couldn't get the hook buried in the surf at that angle and she wouldn't eat again.

Bright schoolies here and there all the way down to Bass River but all I could think about was that oceanside submarine... to be continued.

highway61
05-15-2011, 07:11 PM
Yesterday was my first time out in saltwater too. I started out on Morris Island working my way to stage harbor. A few guys were there catching schoolies and I had no luck until the bottom of the tide when I caught a few schoolies. I was heading back to my car when I gave it one more cast and sure enough landed a
28 " striper. Man, did that feel good. I then took my yak out on the Brewster flats and caught another one measuring 26". A great start to the 2011 season.

Steve

Gseries69
05-16-2011, 09:50 AM
Fished areas to the east on the south side around Cotuit and on the north side in Barnstable. Fishing was very good with a mix of schoolies, dinks and a 1/2 dozen in the 28"-32" range. We fished both from kayaks and from shore. By the number of cars and trucks at a well known early season bluefish spot, the blues are there. With a south east wind we did not launch. Lots of bait in the water.

Jim Miller
05-16-2011, 10:32 AM
Hey Joe
What kind and size bait were you seeing?

Gseries69
05-16-2011, 12:25 PM
Jim,

Small silversides 2"-2 1/2". White deciever was working well for the most part, until I found a large pod a good sized fish and couldn't get them to eat. Guide with sports in a boat throwing big soft plastics getting into them good. They were hootin and hollering for nearly two hours while I struggled. I finally took one on a small bay anchovy in skinny water and one on Jim Bernsteins guitar minnow. For the number of fish I saw I did not do very well. Trying to think of what to tie and try to throw at them next time. Any advice from forum gurus would be much appreciated.

Joe

Jim Miller
05-16-2011, 02:14 PM
Joe
Sometimes they are on something totally different than what is appparent.
Sometimes a change up works. Say ...it looks like they are on silversides, but can't get bit. Try a crab, shrimp or maybe a big A$$ herring pattern or pink sluggo.
:whoa: Why the hell do stripers eat pink sluggos????????

Gseries69
05-16-2011, 03:03 PM
Thanks for the responses here and via PM. I've got some tying to do and will try again with several new tactics this weekend.

Jim Miller
05-16-2011, 03:42 PM
Joe
was this at the same place ...that 2 years ago drove us bonkers?
I'm bringing my Yak and will try again..weather permitting.
(btw: that year I got a 20 lber on a Big Herring pattern!) (trolling from the yak!!!) :eek: :D

Gseries69
05-16-2011, 05:52 PM
No not the same place. I wanted to try that spot but ran out of time. We'll have quite the yak crew this weekend. I'll send you a PM with details.

Jim Miller
05-16-2011, 05:57 PM
Joe
That sounds great.
My ortho doc just told me I am a canidate for both knee replacements. I will get a cortesone shot wednesday......BUT
the Yak is looking pretty good to me! :Eyecrazy:

highway61
05-16-2011, 06:40 PM
Joe,

On Morris Island it took me a while to figure out what they were keying on. After JimS pointed out the very tiny bait, I figured they were tiny sand eels. It turned out that I had a couple of very slender 2" dark olive/white eel patterns in my flybox. Once I switched over to them I began to catch.

Steve

jimS
05-16-2011, 07:03 PM
Steve, Terns were crazy today on the south side chasing small sand eels. Bass were after them too. Good seeing you and glad you you had a good bass on Saturday. It should get better. I've see some large and released a good one today.

juro
05-16-2011, 07:08 PM
Isn't this time of year AWESOME??? :smokin:

JonC
05-16-2011, 08:15 PM
Isn't this time of year AWESOME??? :smokin:

It's when time accelerates to a dead run, it's just over too fast!
Jon

Eric
05-16-2011, 08:27 PM
Wish I were there. Kinda boring, fish-wise here.

Fun reads, you guys!

Cheers,

Eric

juro
05-16-2011, 08:45 PM
$369 non-stop on Alaska mid-June round trip

DO IT!!

Eric
05-16-2011, 10:22 PM
Love to, but Big Band gigs and a trip to Alaska (itself) happen about then.

Sigh.

One of these years!

Eric

FredA
05-17-2011, 08:16 AM
I got to do a 45 minute leak test on my waders sunday. No fish though, even though it was prime tide time at the the location I was at. Latest start for me in 10 or 11 years :frown: . Good news is that the range of motion issues that have developed in my shoulders don't seem to impact my casting.

Paxton
05-20-2011, 01:39 PM
Did well yesterday south side...one keeper at 29 inches (not kept)...one of the 9 caught was a "stripet"...about 10 inches long...think it only had one stripe :D
The rest in the mid to upper teens.
Fished 8 hrs..all fish caught in a 2 hr window.........they are here, but not as of yet the whole day or at least for 4 to 5 hrs............at least that has been my experience the last 2 times out. Of course they appeared at a different stage of the tide than last time...the secret is to stand there looking for 8 hrs and at some point, they will appear...next time will bring 2 sandwiches and a book:smokin:
Only sighted 2 fish the other 6 hrs..........maybe they were doing the shops in town . :whoa:
After 6 mths of winter....standing at the water's edge, looking for fish that are not present is a good thing!
Ron