Monomoy Excursion - Spring Clave [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Monomoy Excursion - Spring Clave

juro
05-15-2011, 07:41 AM
Rip Ryder is open for the 2011 season and I'm going to do a full day on Monomoy to intercept the migration.

South Beach gives both sides, North Monomoy gives more flats opportunities.

Let me know if you're interested and we can meet up at the parking lot.

martinc
05-15-2011, 09:39 AM
I'm interested.

Martin

sickb4st4rd
05-15-2011, 12:40 PM
If this is Sat 21 or Sun 22 I (we) are interested!

Harold

PopnesetBay
05-15-2011, 01:23 PM
Count me in for Sat and maybe Sunday. What time do we gather at the "Refuge"? Really want to do the 'flats" and shadow someone experienced as I have never fished there.

Pete R
PopnesetBay

titleguy
05-16-2011, 01:50 PM
We'll wave to you on beach.:tongue:

fishfeetish
05-16-2011, 11:23 PM
I'm interested for Saturday. What time do we leave?

Dave

juro
05-17-2011, 12:29 AM
Usually 8am. Keith runs both days. I will do one not sure which right now - maybe Sunday (need to be around for dinner setup)

I will confirm departure time with Captain Keith tomorrow, usually 8am (7:45 assembly) at the Monomoy Refuge causeway.

Kimosabe
05-17-2011, 06:28 PM
how much is a trip? thks

Greg Pavlov
05-17-2011, 09:04 PM
A few more questions..... What time would pickup be? Does Keith still leave from the foot of the stairs at the Refuge station? And....am I right that low tide on the flats should be about 2 1/2 hours after the dropoff (on Sat)?

Thanks!

juro
05-18-2011, 08:24 PM
It's $20 r/t. 7:45a gather at refuge. You can arrange return times but Rip Ryder may be out on a seal tour at your desired time.

Most bring a lunch and stay all day, 4 or 5pm return. Time goes fast out there.

Bring everything you need, and be able to wear it while wading. A small drypack for lunch and lots of water. Safety stuff if you need it.

If it's foggy stick to South Beach and fish the shoreline and the outside ocean beach. If it's clear, we can explore North Monomoy.

Each tide phase has good fishing, just don't fish the wrong thing at the wrong time. Spring fishing is unlike summer fishing - mostly will find incoming schools of bass that come and go this time of year vs. resident (reliable) behavior.

We can stick together if you don't already have your own itinerary in mind. I am leaning toward Saturday vs. Sunday with a 4pm return - need to get lobsters by 6p.

Greg Pavlov
05-18-2011, 09:27 PM
....We can stick together if you don't already have your own itinerary in mind. I am leaning toward Saturday vs. Sunday with a 4pm return - need to get lobsters by 6p.
That would be great, since I've been out there only 4 times, but Sat I'll be driving 350 miles and 2 of the guys I'm fishing with for the first 3 days aren't flyfishermen.

juro
05-19-2011, 06:27 AM
There are plenty of places to fish and that's primarily a flyfishing situation out there. If the weather is bad the ferry will probably not run this early in the season anyway - we'll see how it shapes up. Doesn't look to bad... good fishing weather :)

http://www.wunderground.com/US/MA/Chatham.html

juro
05-19-2011, 04:18 PM
Please confirm your attendance for Captn Keith's sake, it's still pre-season and he would be making an accomodation for us.

sickb4st4rd
05-19-2011, 09:06 PM
[QUOTE=juro]Please confirm your attendanceQUOTE]

Got 3 here.... Harold, Brian, Ian

I've never been on the rip ryder, are wading boots with cleats allowed on the deck?

cheers!
-Harold

juro
05-19-2011, 09:09 PM
Keith's a big guy and the cleats might get you tossed over the rail. No need for cleats out there, but if thats all you got maybe he will let you hang the feet over the gunwhale :)

sickb4st4rd
05-20-2011, 04:49 AM
Keith's a big guy and the cleats might get you tossed over the rail. No need for cleats out there, but if thats all you got maybe he will let you hang the feet over the gunwhale :)

Ah, no that's not what I was asking... Sorry you missed my point - I was asking: what do fly fishers wear on the rip ryder on the way out. If you have soft boots does that work. If you have boots with cleats, what's a good way to work with that.

Obviously any type of cleats/studs are not needed on Cape Cod. That's not what I was asking about..

That's ok, I'll figure it out myself, thank you

juro
05-20-2011, 09:25 AM
Likewise, I was being playfully sarcastic (no intent).

Serious answer: In general boats and cleats don't get along. I've had hosts make me hang my feet over on whitewater in the pacific northwest, that's where the reference comes from :p

If you have soft boots, wear them for the ride and carry the others if they're what you want to use for walking / support once out there. You can leave anything at the landing point and other than a sniff or two from a coyote no one will bother them.

Hope that's a better reply!

BTW - best thing to do is call Rip Ryder and/or check out the sponsor website (see link at top of page).

sickb4st4rd
05-20-2011, 01:52 PM
Juro, apologies, I totally missed your point!! Thanks for the info. I'm at the Shoals now removing cleats from all boots:)

UPDATE, Tim and Al are not on the forum but want to join in the morning, so add 2 more please !

Thank you.
PS- we are psyched!

Likewise, I was being playfully sarcastic (no intent).

Serious answer: In general boats and cleats don't get along. I've had hosts make me hang my feet over on whitewater in the pacific northwest, that's where the reference comes from :p

If you have soft boots, wear them for the ride and carry the others if they're what you want to use for walking / support once out there. You can leave anything at the landing point and other than a sniff or two from a coyote no one will bother them.

Hope that's a better reply!

BTW - best thing to do is call Rip Ryder and/or check out the sponsor website (see link at top of page).

Kimosabe
05-20-2011, 05:37 PM
WTF!

AL & Tim back on the Cape again??? without me??????????:( :biggrin: :biggrin:

Mike Oliver
05-20-2011, 06:40 PM
Its no big deal. I have taken several rides in Rip Ryder. My clomping great wading boots have cleats in them. So I just wade out to the boat take em off at the stern and climb in, I stick me boots in my stripping basket.

Mike

JonC
05-20-2011, 09:48 PM
Mike
What I want to know is what the TSA says when you get on the plane wearing those boots, I'm surprised they don't suspect that they're part of a plot.
Jon

Mike Oliver
05-21-2011, 08:03 AM
JonC

The TSA did not give a fig. It was security in Heathrow on the outbound. I got stopped and practically strip searched in public. Now so the boots fit I had to wear three pairs of thick socks me being me I did not care what order I put them on. So when ordered to take off my boots there I stood in odd socks. My Buddies were falling around laughing. I am used to that so no bother. They then put the magic wand over my feet and of course it went off. So I was asked to remove my socks. Of course they did not know there was another two layers. So over goes the wand and again it bleeps. So off come the next layer and the next so I am stood with white crinkly feet . My mates by now are doubled up. My boots get the third degree but to the intense dissapointment of security no explosives or arms to be found. So now I am stood there hoping I don't have to start taking my kit off. I mean one set of underware two sweat shirts a fly waiste coat and a fly fishing wading jacket. Look I just can't afford the second checked bag so I wear as much of my heavy clobber as I can. Ok eventually they let me through. But when I get to board the aircraft I come out the hat for anther shake down. Same bloody procedure. I now have some insight in what it was be like to be a Stripper. But I saved $100.
Tip be very careful walking on tiled floors in cleated wader boots. you may as well be on ice.
Mike

Kimosabe
05-21-2011, 08:09 PM
At least the English "TSA" did not touch your junk:biggrin: :biggrin:

sickb4st4rd
05-22-2011, 01:54 AM
WTF!

AL & Tim back on the Cape again??? without me??????????:( :biggrin: :biggrin:

Yeah, Al and Tim are back on the Cape.

So on the way back from the Squire tonight we get pulled over, and everybody gets pretty much body searched. Thank god, Chatham PD has free wireless for people in the holding tank, that 's how I could post this. So Brian is obviously not normal and this is obvious to the officers, but the problem arose when the cops found Al's earlier Gift the BUFFy stealth bomber crab fly in my pocket. It took about 15 minutes before I finally convinced them that, no, I wasn't going to smoke it.. Officer what's wrong with you don't you understand stripah fishing? Cant you see Im a people person ?? You never sawr a stealth bomber crab pattern??

Paul J
05-22-2011, 05:56 AM
I have been warned not to hang out with Mike at airports however entertaining it might be :chuckle:

PJ

Kimosabe
05-22-2011, 06:51 AM
You will love fishing BUFFY:smile:
Just play Eric Clapton's "Slow Hand" in your head while fishing BUFFY:hihi: :hihi:

Yeah, Al and Tim are back on the Cape.

So on the way back from the Squire tonight we get pulled over, and everybody gets pretty much body searched. Thank god, Chatham PD has free wireless for people in the holding tank, that 's how I could post this. So Brian is obviously not normal and this is obvious to the officers, but the problem arose when the cops found Al's earlier Gift the BUFFy stealth bomber crab fly in my pocket. It took about 15 minutes before I finally convinced them that, no, I wasn't going to smoke it.. Officer what's wrong with you don't you understand stripah fishing? Cant you see Im a people person ?? You never sawr a stealth bomber crab pattern??

Stevo
05-23-2011, 10:18 AM

I remember the first time I went on Rip Ryder wearing my old Simms guide boots (with studs) - I tip-toed carefully onboard but the' click-clack' gave me away... Keith just frowned at me - I took them off after that! :eek:

Felt soled boots will do fine and are much lighter to walk around on the flats all day in as well.

sickb4st4rd
05-24-2011, 03:11 AM
Astonishingly, no one in this photo got themselves kicked out of the Hanky Shoals, but not because they didn't try!
http://fishermanstrail.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/ianct-choppahct-alfrommaine-timfrommaine-cropped-300x225.png (http://fishermanstrail.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/ianct-choppahct-alfrommaine-timfrommaine-cropped.png)

Being out on the flats was amazing, I put some more photos at http://fishermanstrail.com/?p=410 (http://fishermanstrail.com/) and although we did get into a few fish it wouldn't have mattered anyway!

-Harold

juro
05-24-2011, 06:58 AM
Glad you guys enjoyed the day!

boatdrinks
05-24-2011, 10:17 AM
have they made their way down to the rips/rogers shoal yet? or has anyone been down there? I would usually be looking for them down there this weekend but with the colder spring I'm not sure. The buoy in the sound was only saying 52 degrees or so.

Mike Oliver
05-24-2011, 02:52 PM
boatdrinks
Whats really stopping you. I am not convinced that a colder spring will slow down a migration. Why not make the news and you find them rather than wait on others to do the scouting. Hell you may end up doing chores if you stay at home.
Being first on the bite is very satifying.

Mike

juro
05-24-2011, 03:38 PM
Mike -

When are you coming across the pond? You just might hit it perfectly.

Mike Oliver
05-24-2011, 05:04 PM
Juro,

I arrive on the Cape 1st june and leave on the 15th. The intel I have been getting from my friend who had a 9 day trip just ended is very encouraging. He fished all over the Cape and very hard getting little sleep. But he did well very well on the fly. The tides around the 1st to 4th look very interesting. I will be hitting the flats twice a day for first 4 to 6 days, then the big beaches. Sleep will be low on the agenda.
I have very positive vibes but then I always do. Hope to meet up if its possible.

Mike

juro
05-24-2011, 05:34 PM
Good timing, you'll do well! I understand you have been invited by a client, so we shall indeed "hook up". See you then and safe travels.

Mike Oliver
05-24-2011, 06:50 PM
Juro,

Lets not tempt providence. LOL. Yes I am very lucky to be asked to join HL running the beach with you. Looking forward to that. I usually have to walk and walk and walk. LOL.
Finished building my half of a fly rod that has been gifted to me today. Starting to service my reels tomorrow and get those last few flies tied up. Then its a case of trying to keep a lid on expectations and hope. Yes some hope of that.

boatdrinks
05-25-2011, 09:06 AM
boatdrinks
Whats really stopping you. I am not convinced that a colder spring will slow down a migration. Why not make the news and you find them rather than wait on others to do the scouting. Hell you may end up doing chores if you stay at home.
Being first on the bite is very satifying.

Mike

Yeah I'm probably going to hits Rodgers Shoal on Saturday as I think that will be a little warmer. Depends on what the wind does though. I also want to see what the water temp in the sound does. I don't think the colder spring will slow the migration down but it may make fish hang out in different places if the water's cooler than normal. The sound water was only 52 the other day which doesn't preclude them from being there but it might stop them from hanging out and eating.

Mike Oliver
05-25-2011, 04:52 PM
boatdrinks,

I hear you. If it encourages you a bit more a Brit mate has just returned from a 9 day trip to the Cape, fly rodding only from the shore no boats at all. He caught fish from Buzzards Bay side to the big east facing ocean beaches. Take a look at the Canal tides and the opportunity that will be here very soon.
I am going to be torn between the Canal and the flats.

Mike

Stevo
05-25-2011, 06:03 PM
It's a total no-brainer, Mike... the flats win, hands down, every time. There is nothing like the adrenalin rush of seeing the fish you hope to catch and then setting about achieving that objective with nothing but a bit of fluff, fur & feathers! Blind casting into a "drainage ditch" is for people who can't see fish! :p

Mike Oliver
05-25-2011, 06:29 PM
Stevo,

But you know me I have no brain. My plan is to flats fish first 4 to 5 days twice a day. But I know and have exprienced what can happen in early June when slack water arrives at day break and the tide then travels east in the CC. Now in reality the best shot is going to the Guys who can cast 3oz pencil poppers when the fish come on top for a short period of time, but there are spots on the CC where Fly Boys can make a cast with SH rods. I don't mind blind casting if a 30lb fish will eat my fly. I don't see many if any yet 30lb fish on the flats.
But for me these days it is not about the size although I like big fish its how I catch them that is important. First time ever on the Cape that I am Fly Only. Not taking any spinning gear at all.
You got to get back here next year.

Mike

Adrian
05-26-2011, 09:33 AM
Mike, 'breaking tides' at the ditch are a dawn/early morning thing - flats action is later morning/afternoon thing so no excuses - you gotta do both! :lildevl:

Stevo
05-26-2011, 10:17 AM
You got to get back here next year.

I probably will... I miss those big striped fish!

Mike Oliver
05-26-2011, 01:19 PM
Mike, 'breaking tides' at the ditch are a dawn/early morning thing - flats action is later morning/afternoon thing so no excuses - you gotta do both! :lildevl:

Adrian,

I like to start walking out 2.5 hours before low on the flats and fish approx 2 hours of early flood. looks like I need to cut myself in half. I like the big tides on the flats to.

Its a dilema.

Mike

bender
05-26-2011, 04:28 PM
I arrive late at night June 1st so my first fishing day will be Thursday. I am from Finland, 50, bald, 6'4'' perhaps wear a brown felt hat and cast with TH or very short SH rod. I try to keep up with Mike but please come say hi when I get behind :smile:

Esa

Mike Oliver
05-26-2011, 05:22 PM
Esa,

I am losing my conditioning. No sport or bike ride for over a week. I maybe walking in your foot steps. By the time I have negotiated a way through imigration and a detour to West Bridgewater on the way in I will not arrive much before 18.30 so my first fish will be dawn on Thursday to. Hell your only 50 and you have less air resistance with that Bald head. I am folically challanged as well.
Look forward to supping a nice cold Beer with you Wednesday evening.

Mike

juro
05-26-2011, 05:33 PM
If I don't get called back to the city on business I'd enjoy hoisting a frosty mug with you two world travelers. Keep me in the loop.

Mike Oliver
05-26-2011, 05:48 PM
Juro keeping anyone in the loop without an affordable cell phone is a bit of a challange. I have my lap top with me and the owner of The Old Landings Motel will take a message and stick it on my door.
I am a moving target. I can't say for definate where I am going to be as that decision is made by tide, wind and hopefully intuition and any serious intel I pick up on the way. But I am definately having a beer June 1 in the evening on the balcony of my Motel. I just need to find a carry out for the beer. No glasses in room so its straight out the bottle. Be good to see you and any of the Guys who maybe passing that way. Did you set a date with HL yet for the beach run, I could do with putting it into my diary.

Mike

barramundi-uk
05-27-2011, 01:33 AM
Hi Mike

Im packing my bags today , Driving to Heathrow tonight, sleeping in the Van, then flying `11 AM with British Airways (Why is AA so expensive these days ??) arrive MA Saturday luchtime !! 3 weeks lined up this year :cool:

You can buy super cheap pay as you go cell phones in most of the Gas Stations and Supermarkets on the Cape. I got one at the top end of Chatham Gas Station

Its shamefull but you can buy one and then ditch it when you go home

See you and my American friends soon !!

Austen

Mike Oliver
05-27-2011, 05:32 AM
Hi Oz,

Have a great trip. Yep AA have gone through the roof. I am flying Delta this time. Always went with AA before as they used to let you check two 50lb bags. Plus they employed old Cabin staff which made me not feel so old myself. LOL

I got a Network 10 cell phone one year. What a freakin nightmare trying to get it set up or top it up. I think it was $40 to kick off with.
I have not worked properly for over a year so money is tighter than a Duck's a----e. I am only coming to CC this year because I found I had overpaid my tax bill. Mind I still got taxed as the wife found out and wanted her 50%. How do you think I paid for that fly tying stuff you sold me.
If I am still alive in ten years I will be the Retro Dude still fishing his Xi2's.
Mind nothing much will happen in terms of rod technology over that time frame if the last 20 years is anything to go by.

Tight Lines.

Hope your Clients do not drive you to distraction.

Mike

Stevo
05-27-2011, 12:02 PM
Hope your Clients do not drive you to distraction.
Mike

They can do what they like... they paid for his trip! :chuckle:

Mike Oliver
05-27-2011, 01:52 PM
They can do what they like... they paid for his trip! :chuckle:

And some. It is no way to make a living.

Mike