What's in your fly box? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: What's in your fly box?

JonC
05-09-2011, 07:30 PM
As a continuation of what Paxton began I thought if people showed us what flies they rely on most it would be of benefit to all. This is not meant to be a gallery of flies that can be displayed in shadow boxes, rather it should be the flies that catch fish, be they simple things or complex, let's see them and learn. There is an old tradition of secrecy about flies, I hope it's dead, there is absolutely no correlation between how many fish you catch and whether the guy down the way knows what fly you are using, but there is a possibility that you will catch more fish if you know what he's using, I hope you can follow that thought.

So here are a few of the flies that I pick from, since I'm mostly a daytime fisherman there isn't much flash. The sand eels, crab and flounder are weighted with wire and I add spit shot on the leader if needed.

http://i917.photobucket.com/albums/ad15/Jonrconner/0bde97d8.png

Paul J
05-10-2011, 11:26 AM
Very useful post Jon

Thanks for sharing

PJ

Paxton
05-10-2011, 05:34 PM
Thanks Jon...great idea and addition to our members' recent activities/sharing.
When I get a chance, I will "discribe" what I use and why, until I get up to speed re posting pics.
Ron

bruce.campo
05-12-2011, 06:21 AM
thanks so much for sharing. you guys have givin me some pause and re-consider the flies I'm going to use on the flats. I generally put flash on my flies as I'm either fishing at night or on the beach in rough surf. I think I need to re-consider my approach on the flats. I haven't had great success (OK, very LITTLE success) on the flats, even though I've seen fish and put some casts to them. I'm heading up June 8th-10th and just chomping at the bit to get on the flats. I'll post some pics too when I try some other options. thanks again. I REALLY need to meet you guys. I'd say the most informed and innovative tyers/fishers I've seen.

bruce.campo
05-12-2011, 06:22 AM
And how do you tie that crab fly...

JonC
05-12-2011, 02:03 PM
And how do you tie that crab fly...

I'll put instructions up on the striper flies section.
Jon

Penguin
05-12-2011, 02:45 PM
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa176/Phracas/IMG_0252.jpg

JonC
05-12-2011, 03:57 PM
Pete,
Thanks tons, maybe we'll get few more on board now. BTW nice flies, you can ignore the shadow box comment!
Jon

FredA
05-12-2011, 06:53 PM
Well I checked my chest pak to see what was in my box.

If Pete's are the seafood buffet mine are the busboy's delight!

I tried to capture the well stained patina of the chest pak but I don't have the foto skillz of youz guyz.

JonC
05-12-2011, 08:53 PM
Well I checked my chest pak to see what was in my box.

If Pete's are the seafood buffet mine are the busboy's delight!

I tried to capture the well stained patina of the chest pak but I don't have the foto skillz of youz guyz.

Looks like it just came from the Orvis store, maybe you can give us the order code?
JC

bruce.campo
05-14-2011, 12:28 PM
Go-to flies... Note, no crab files :Eyecrazy:

http://i56.tinypic.com/qs9k53.jpg

Jim Miller
05-15-2011, 07:20 PM
Box that I'm filling for the clave. :D

Spring Flats, ocean surf and canal
Leaf One
http://i1114.photobucket.com/albums/k529/nfdesign1/box1.jpg
Leaf Two
http://i1114.photobucket.com/albums/k529/nfdesign1/box2.jpg
Small Stuff
http://i1114.photobucket.com/albums/k529/nfdesign1/box4.jpg

Paxton
05-15-2011, 08:02 PM
Bruce, those white/red necked (no pun intended :) ) flies would work real well on snook as well!
Ron

JonC
05-15-2011, 08:02 PM
Bruce and Jim,
Thanks for putting up your flies, all really nice. Think you got enough there Jim, I'd be nervous! Anyway, great to see what you rely on, interesting to see the predominant colors. Can't wait to get on the water.
Jon

Paxton
05-15-2011, 08:17 PM
Jim...those are impressive and creative!!!!....like all of them, esp the 1st box - olive deer hair over olive hackle...interesting tie. Question: 2nd box...the 2 tan ones in upper left hand corner....sandeels or silversides or????? I do believe you are prepared...may the fish reward your obvious efforts and time!
Jon.......great thread!!!

Ron

Jim Miller
05-16-2011, 05:07 AM
Thanks Ron
this box contains mostly sandeels, herring and mackeral. there are some silversides in the mix. upper left: hackle body sandeels.
Most ties are made from feathers, bucktail and polar bear. (some Farrar blend)

bruce.campo
05-16-2011, 05:49 AM
Hum... Looking at Jim's flies, I think I over-dressed mine for the flats. Might need to head down to the vise and tie some SPARSE flies...

really Jim - that sparse :Eyecrazy:

OK - I'm failry new at this flat's fishing. Interesting eyeballs too...

Love the crease flies...

bruce.campo
05-16-2011, 06:06 AM
I keep on admiring these flies.... good thing I don't know you guys or I'd be following each of you around like a lost puppy dog hoping you'd throw me a crumb of a fly... Excellent ties guys! I can see the difference fishing down here (NJ) vs. the flats up north. I need to re-think....

Jim Miller
05-16-2011, 07:25 AM
Bruce
sometimes the flats sandeels are pretty skinny. You look down and see the darker eyes first....then the camo body. Most times like a pencil thickness (or slightly less). I prefer less than more. (except come supper time! :razz: )

Out in the open ocean or CC bay...they can be like cigars... long and chunkier.

bruce.campo
05-16-2011, 03:20 PM
Jim - that's what I'm used to here in NJ. They are big and can be up to 9 inches long. I'm beginning to understand why the fish scatter when I cast my flies on the flats ;)

Thanks so much for the feedback. I'll post a few "new" flats files PICS soon.

JonC
05-16-2011, 04:30 PM
Bruce,
Here are my sand eels for scale. The one I use most of the time is the middle size, #4 hook and about 4.25", most of the time fish will eat it without hesitation. It's made of buucktail, slinky fiber and one or two saddle hackles, .020 lead sub wire under the floss body and UV acrylic to weld the thing together. Hope this helps.
Jon
http://i917.photobucket.com/albums/ad15/Jonrconner/f69372c7.png

bruce.campo
05-16-2011, 07:43 PM
Jon,

Great stuff - thanks so much. I'm looking at your flies and the ones I tied and once again, too much stuff on them... I really appreciate the guidance guys!

Hope to see you on the flats - 6/8-6/10

bruce.campo
05-17-2011, 05:34 AM
OK - still too much stuff on them again... ugh....:Eyecrazy:

Jim Miller
05-17-2011, 08:20 AM
Bruce
another thought is flats sandeels burrow in the sand. Something with lead eyes (hour glass or cone) will put the fly on the bottom and kick up puffs of sand. Or fish on a sinktip. :wink:

You will see guys "raking" sandeels for bait....kinda like clamming.

Ohh.... just a little flash...a strand or two. I prefer long thin hackles versus polar bear or bucktail.... just moves nicer.

PEC54
05-17-2011, 08:27 AM
Some where over the rainbow:razz:

bruce.campo
05-17-2011, 12:26 PM
OK guys, let's have at it here.... would you fish these flies on the flats? If not, tell me why. this is going to be my personal challange this year. I WILL get a nice fish on the flats....

#2 hook - 3-4" long

http://i55.tinypic.com/2nkho60.jpg

JonC
05-17-2011, 12:39 PM
Bruce,
Those should work, just put them in front of some fish without scaring them and they will give you definitive opinion.
Jon

Jim Miller
05-17-2011, 12:39 PM
looking good!
I like the hackle clousers.

bruce.campo
05-17-2011, 01:43 PM
Thanks guys for the feedback. now you got my heart pumping... Just imagine what I'll look like when I site a bass heading at me on the flats :whoa:

If you guys are around 6/8 or 6/9, I'd love to buy the first round!

Paxton
05-20-2011, 12:25 PM
Bruce...flys will work. This time of the season, most stripers will be on the edges of the flats and drop offs....when you first apporach the edge...stand back to see if they will be coming up on the flats about 3 to 4 ft from the edge...that is their usual behavior with present water temps. They seldom come way up on the flats until the water is a little warmer and the sand eels are upon onto the flats....what you will most likely see are all the sandeels on the edges of the drop offs at this time.
One suggestion re your deer hair clouser...make a few in the 2-3 inch range, even sparser than what you have tied....make some olive over white and chartreuse over white....for those I have found it successful to use micro barbell eyes on # 4 hooks...wrap the shank with a few strands of flash and tie off (no other flash needed)........use no more than 10 to 12 strands of deer hair for the top (if it makes you say..."that ain't right...it is" :smile: , and if you have some, a tich of white maribou on the bottom (alternatively, use no more than 8-10 strands of white deer hair)...keep it as sparse as you can...at this time of year, the sandeels and only 2 to 3 inches long at best near the flats. These flies will be useless fishing the drop offs unless you are using a fast sink line...but for the flats and egdes, they are great....they won't spook anything.
Keep them in reserve in case the larger ones are not getting hit.
Ron

bruce.campo
05-23-2011, 05:49 AM
Ron - thanks much for the reply and advise. I'll need to do a bit of shopping today and will tie some up and let you take a look. Man this trip can not come fast enough...

bruce.campo
05-27-2011, 01:14 PM
Iíve been having this recurring dream (nightmare) where Iím on the flats and frantically looking through my fly box to find ďthe right flyĒ and canít find it while big bass continue to swim by. Letís hope it doesnít become a reality.

OK Ė tried to get a bit sparse and smaller with my flies. I can see from the pic the bottom right fly is still dressed too full (IMO). Mostly bead-chain eys except for the middle fly.

http://i51.tinypic.com/4tonew.jpg