Saltwater licence [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Saltwater licence

PEC54
05-09-2011, 09:54 AM
With all our brothers coming over from across the pond and from other compass points;I just want to remind you of the need of a saltwater licence,this is new this year for all of us.You can obtain one by going to the Mass. Division Marine fisheries web site ,pay your $10.00 plus handling fee then down load a copy.Don't get caught without one,I know of several folks already been checked for one.

juro
05-09-2011, 11:35 AM
http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dmf/recreationalfishing/rec_permits.htm

Mike Oliver
05-10-2011, 05:11 AM
Thanks Pec54,

I must get and do this very soon. I know PJ is aware to.

mike

bruce.campo
05-10-2011, 05:56 AM
thanks for the heads up guys - i'm heading up (from PA) June 6th - 10th. Completely forgot about the license.

Bruce

dudley
05-10-2011, 11:02 AM
For anyone that fishes in Jersey, I just saw this today

Asbury Park Press link (http://www.app.com/article/20110504/NJNEWS/305040098/-300-fine-awaits-anglers-who-don-t-sign-up-for-free-registry)

Paul J
05-10-2011, 04:35 PM
yep,

Got mine thanks

PJ

Now the next thing and biggest challenge is getting round all the parking permits and restrictions

Greg Pavlov
05-11-2011, 12:01 AM
With all our brothers coming over from across the pond and from other compass points;I just want to remind you of the need of a saltwater licence,this is new this year for all of us.You can obtain one by going to the Mass. Division Marine fisheries web site ,pay your $10.00 plus handling fee then down load a copy.Don't get caught without one,I know of several folks already been checked for one.

I went to the site. When I got to the checkout for the license, the price listed for the "Recreational Saltwater Fishing Permit" was $0.00 with a "Convenience Fee" of $1.55. I also had the option of making a donation of $9.71 or $24.27. Is this the right license and what is this about? Thanks for shedding some light...

starsky
05-11-2011, 03:38 AM
Thanks for the reminder for the licence. I now have one printed off.

PJ had raised a issue which I was going to post about and it's to do with parking permits.
I have tried a search online but it seems it's a complicated matter.
Can anyone give me some pointers on what needs to be done to avoid any fines/car being towed away ...
Any help appreciated.
Mark

flydoc
05-11-2011, 05:34 AM
Greg- you must be a "man of a certain age"- "seniors" get the saltwater license free of charge, but still have to pay the "convenience fee" for processing/mailing.

starsky- unfortunately, there is no "one permit" parking permit here on Cape Cod- each town has its own permitting system for "beach" parking- most towns do not start enforcing/ticketing until the weekend of Memorial Day (the weekend AFTER the spring clave), but you will have to check the official websites of EACH individual town you are thinking of fishing in (ie Dennis, Brewster, Chatham, Yarmouth) to determine what their individual beach parking policies are and when exactly they start enforcing them. There are also certain areas that are NOT covered by town "beach" parking permits, such as the parking area in front of Chatham lighthouse, which requires no permit but has a time limit on how long you can "legally" park there before the Chatham police slap a ticket/have you towed (whichever they are in the mood for at the time), so parking there past the allotted time limit is AT YOUR PERIL. Most of us who want to fish there park further down the road along Bridge Street, then hike from there to the beach in front of the lighthouse (Juro's "Big Girl Bar" area).
Hope this helps.
Flydoc

Kimosabe
05-11-2011, 06:45 AM
AARP members get free licenses but pay an "inconvenient" fee:chuckle: :chuckle:

starsky
05-11-2011, 06:47 AM
FlyDoc,

Thanks for the info. It seems it's as complicated as I first thought. It's like some parking restrictions in the UK, they are so complicated at times you wonder if it's a ploy to get some extra money for the government.
I'll speak to PJ and see what he normally does when he visits.
Cheers,
Mark

dudley
05-11-2011, 07:09 AM
PJ had raised a issue which I was going to post about and it's to do with parking permits.
Can anyone give me some pointers on what needs to be done to avoid any fines/car being towed away ...
Any help appreciated.
Mark
Most beaches begin checking for permits on the 3rd Saturday of June.
There are exceptions. Last season Paine's started a week earlier.

Greg Pavlov
05-11-2011, 11:10 AM
Greg- you must be a "man of a certain age"- "seniors" get the saltwater license free of charge, but still have to pay the "convenience fee" for processing/mailing.

EHHH? WHAT'S THAT YOU SAID?? Guilty as charged. I did decide to make a "donation" of $9.71. That caused the "processing fee" to drop down to $.29 and presto, I ended up with a nicely rounded charge of $10 that just happened to match the fee. Amazing coincidence, no?

Thanks for the explanation, the site didn't give me a clue.

saltfly
05-11-2011, 11:18 AM
FlyDoc,

Thanks for the info. It seems it's as complicated as I first thought. It's like some parking restrictions in the UK, they are so complicated at times you wonder if it's a ploy to get some extra money for the government.
I'll speak to PJ and see what he normally does when he visits.
Cheers,
MarkIt is a ploy...but for Town government.Most parking lots are free prior to 8or9 a.m. and after 4or5 p.m.Fines can range from$25 on up.Depending on the town.Some lots are closed at dark or alittle later[10pm] due to "issues" from past years.These are usually in the more populated areas[party crowds].Now out on the Lower Cape where the National Seashore has juristiction it gets alittle different.There are Town maintained parking lots and Seashore maintained lots within in the same towns[wellfleet,truro] so each has different fees and slightly different rules.Seashore maintained[Federal Gov.] beaches.Eastham,Wellfleet,Truro,Ptwn. if you want to fish those beaches and use their lot after 11 p.m. to sunrise you will need to get a FREE parking pass to display on your dashboard.These can be obtained at the Seashore headquarters in Eastham,Wellfleet,and Ptwn 8-4 7days a week.The Park Rangers do patrol these lots all night and can/will tow you.Make sure you have your fishing license with you also.They will be checking you even if you're on the beach.The Park Rangers are Federal Officers[not rent-a-cops] so be carefull.I deal with these people frequently so a word to the wise.All the Bayside beaches are Town maintained except for Great I. in Wellfleet and Herring Cove in Ptwn.Both of these are Federal.Great I. has been closed at night the last few years.These new fishing licenses are going to be a great excuse for law enforcement to "check" you so watch out if you've had a "couple".

flydoc
05-11-2011, 01:18 PM
These new fishing licenses are going to be a great excuse for law enforcement to "check" you so watch out if you've had a "couple".

Damn.....so much for that self-refrigerating "beer bladder" I was planning on installing in my fishing pack:lildevl:

starsky
05-11-2011, 03:36 PM
Saltfly,
It's all a conspiracy :)

Thanks for all the info ,much appreciated.

Af least if I get the car towed for a parking offence I will then be able to have a 'couple' or two.

Now I just have to work out where we are going to fish so we can get the permits.

Cheers,
Mark

Mike Oliver
05-11-2011, 05:53 PM
Saltfly,
It's all a conspiracy :)

Thanks for all the info ,much appreciated.

Af least if I get the car towed for a parking offence I will then be able to have a 'couple' or two.

Now I just have to work out where we are going to fish so we can get the permits.

Cheers,
Mark

Mark,

It's real bollocks this parking lark. You would think that Tourists would be encouraged to come and spend real money in local businesses but no we are terrorised by rediculous parking fees and potential fines and tow aways. Joking aside it can get pretty stressful trying to find a legal way to park.
I purchased a Cotuit Town permit and it cost $200 yep 200 smackers.
I met a Park Ranger last year on Marconi beach and he was amazingly kind. I asked him how I could fish after dark and he issued me on the spot with a beach permit which allowed me to use the parking lots at several east facing beaches at night. He told me I could also get one at the Visitor Centre at New Orleans for free. This permit is a Godsend. Brewsters was ok at Old Saints until 15th June but I bet that will have changed. It is the time spent going to the Town Halls to pay that pees me off. I guess its revenge for some political big wig who got screwed in London.
You need to add this additional cost to your budget. Last year Allan Hughes purchased a secondhand bike so he could drop his fishing buddies off near the beach, find somewhere legal to park and then use the bike to join his mates. You got to get cute.
I found it best not to try and joke with the police we tend not to share the same sense of humour as I found out once. LOL.

look parking probs or none you are going to have a fantastic time. We don't let stuff like this spoil our trip.

Mike

saltfly
05-11-2011, 07:45 PM
Thanks for the reminder for the licence. I now have one printed off.

Any help appreciated.
MarkI forgot to ask..When are you actually coming? This could relieve most of the tension.

starsky
05-12-2011, 09:14 AM
Saltfly,

We are coming on the 8th June till the 15th.

I'm sure we can get it all sorted as other people visiting have. It's just good to get a heads up before we come.

Mike,

Thanks once again for the info,much appreciated.

saltfly
05-12-2011, 12:03 PM
You "should " be fine at almost all lots.The National Seashore at Herring Cove Beach in Ptwn and Race Point Ptwn may be charging on the weekends.

starsky
05-15-2011, 06:45 AM
Saltfly,

Hopefully your right (fingers crossed)

Cheers,
Mark

DanD
05-17-2011, 10:27 AM
Anyone know the penalty for ignoring this latest government intrusion?

Mike Oliver
05-17-2011, 12:23 PM
Death by hanging.

waterworker
05-17-2011, 05:37 PM
Anyone know the penalty for ignoring this latest government intrusion?It's in your back pocket and watch your speed on national seashore property.

2nd Mate
05-19-2011, 07:27 AM
If anyone has any specific questions about the new DMF rec license please post it up or pm me and I am sure I can get your questions answered quickly and without any of the BS you might normally expect.