How Much Flash [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: How Much Flash

starsky
05-06-2011, 02:27 PM
Hi guys,
I'm just wondering how much flash you tie into your standard 6 inch Clousers ?
I look forward to your replies.
Cheers,
Mark

JonC
05-06-2011, 03:24 PM
Depends on light level you're planning to use them, bright sunlight, none, for reduced light or darkness, a few strands, like 5 or 6, this is assuming a fairly sparse tie, more if you're making them denser. In bright light you can substitute with several strands of one of the sparkly synthetics like slinky fiber which reflects light in small bits rather than large flashes.
Jon

Guernseybass
05-06-2011, 04:27 PM
Standard clousers - like olive over white, blue over white , I use four strands of pearl Krystal flash.

Flats clousers - like all tan or olive over white, none.

Paxton
05-06-2011, 06:07 PM
Mark...ditto for me re the above...this yr I am experimenting with a darker color flash...a bluish/green......I personally don't use it for an attractant (never on tan/flats flies although that is a choice), I use it to mimic the latteral line than a sand eel has.
Talking 6 inchers..my guess is that your are planning on fishing rips/beach and or shore. 4 inchers will work too. In those situations...color is something to consider...I tend to use brighter colors...chatreous for those situations (darker more turbulent water) with one exception.......Bay Side....I was once advised by Craig I think, to use dark gray over light gray...5 inch sand eels....he was right.
Walking bay side flats...you will almost always push up very gray/fat sand eels.
Then again, my fishing bud uses chartreous on the flats and out fishes me almost every time. he feels...when there is a lot of bait...his stands out. So sometimes, breaking the rule helps. that should clear it up :smokin:
.Ron

starsky
05-07-2011, 12:47 AM
Thanks for all your excellent advice.
When I come over im going to be fishing a variety of marks so have been tying a variety of flies.
There are a couple of varieties you mentioned that I haven't tied up yet.
I must admit I have never enjoyed tying that much regardless of the type of fly that I'm tying. It's a bit of a slog having to tie this many up for a trip and I keep making excuses up not to do it. I can see sone frantic sessions coming up over the next few weeks.
Cheers,
Mark

juro
05-07-2011, 10:19 AM
I hope to meet all you international visitors if not on the water then definitely at the Squire :)

Couple thoughts come to mind...

- you can always remove flash but you can't add it. I often adjust on the spot

- if you can pack a basic tying kit you can use what you see to tie something for the next day too

starsky
05-07-2011, 02:06 PM
Juro,
I'm sure we will meet at the bar sometime on our visit.:wink:
Thanks for the couple of points you mentioned. It did cross my mind to bring some basic tying stuff. If I carry on tying flies at my current rate I won't have an option.
Good point on the flash, thanks.
Not long now.

Penguin
05-07-2011, 02:18 PM
Bug-Bond and Tuffleye FLEX...
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa176/Phracas/IMG_8389.jpg
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa176/Phracas/IMG_8392.jpg
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa176/Phracas/IMG_8176.jpg
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa176/Phracas/P3180694.jpg
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa176/Phracas/IMG_8420.jpg
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa176/Phracas/IMG_8422.jpg
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa176/Phracas/IMG_8426.jpg
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa176/Phracas/IMG_8427.jpg
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa176/Phracas/IMG_0227.jpg
Caution: professional driver on a closed course... results may vary

starsky
05-07-2011, 04:21 PM
Penguin,
Are you trying to send me to an early grave !
I have enough problems tying up enough Clousers let alone trying to copy your excellent patterns.
I must admit though that Bugbond stuff makes some nice looking patterns.
I'm going to stick to Clousers and Half and Halfs(for night fishing)in my own hand. I might buy a few crab and popper patterns as I can't be bothered to try tying them up. I know I sound lazy but it's tough finding time at the moment with a young family etc..
Either that or I will nick my fishing partners flies instead :devil:

Sparks13
05-07-2011, 04:46 PM
Penguin,
Either that or I will nick my fishing partners flies instead :devil:

What makes you think I have been tying flies I was planning on nicking yours:chuckle:

starsky
05-07-2011, 05:08 PM
Ha,ha caught red handed.

I thought you was having problems posting on here Gary?
One of us is going to have to tie up some extra flies and it ain't looking like me :smile:

It's either that or we 'borrow' some flies from the locals when we come over :wink:
Mark

Sparks13
05-07-2011, 05:54 PM
Mark,

I was having a problem posting but that is resolved.

As to flies I' have tied a few there,s not much else to do down here in the winter
about 300 on the last count whether they will work is another matter.

Penguin they are some really nice ties, must admit I have used a fair amount of BB
recently but my results don't compare.

Gary

Mike Oliver
05-09-2011, 03:42 AM
Mark and Garry,

What ever you bring over you won't have enough of the single pattern that catches. PJ brought over his fly tying kit last year. Your clothes packed in the same bag smell great of moth balls and Buck Tails.
Me after long days and night fishing I can't see my hands let alone see well enough to tye flies. But you have youth on your side.
FWIW I slap about 4 to 6 strands of Kyrsyal flask or the DNA stuff if its to hand.
Those flies Penguin tyes are sick and they just made me sick as yet again my lack of skill as a Tyer has been exposed.
Now I am an unemployed retired Bum and I have so little time. How you Guys manage with a wife, kids and a job beats me. I used to but I don't know how thinking back. mind age helps here as you can't remember very much about what happened yesterday let alone a year or two back. I try and tye about 6 flies a day. It would not be such a chore if the materials were of better quality. It is annoying spending precious time tying and having to work with Buck Tail that is only good enough for surf casting jigs. Just where can we get long, slender and soft buck tails from.

See you Guys at The Old Landings.

Mike

Paul J
05-09-2011, 03:58 AM
i'll be bringing the flytying kit again this year- it helps with the OCD.

it only usually comes out if the weather blows up or Mike harps on about a must have fly of the day

PJ

starsky
05-09-2011, 09:32 AM
Mike,

Thanks for the info,much appreciated.
We will indeed be seeing at the OLd Landings soon.

What with Gary already tying up 300 flies and PJ bringing his kit i won't be needing any more flies anyway :D

Cheers,

Mark

Mike Oliver
05-09-2011, 10:45 AM
i'll be bringing the flytying kit again this year- it helps with the OCD.

it only usually comes out if the weather blows up or Mike harps on about a must have fly of the day

PJ

Paul,

Don't waste fishing time tying flies. You can tye flies anytime back home. Go sick for a few days. We need to treat this trip like it maybe our last. I did not think I could make this one even. You have three weeks left do, 6 a day and you have over 150. I know that 149 will be the wrong pattern that's a given. You could use the planned tying time for sleep periods. If Allan Hughes shows up we can raid his box.
Dam just remembered my waders have not been fixed yet and currently compete with the wifes colander as to which lets in water fastest. Too much to do mate.

Mike

Paul J
05-10-2011, 04:39 PM
Paul,
We need to treat this trip like it maybe our last. I did not think I could make this one even.
Mike
Me neither and youre right, it's going to be full on

PJ

starsky
05-11-2011, 03:31 AM
This is my first trip and also could be my last if I believe what the other half is saying..
We shall see but I knew this trip was going to be more full on than my usual week in Wales, hence the reason why I have taken up to swimming 4-5 times a week to try to improve my fitness. Hopefully it won't be used to swim my way out if trouble :)

Mark

Mike Oliver
05-11-2011, 06:02 PM
This is my first trip and also could be my last if I believe what the other half is saying..
We shall see but I knew this trip was going to be more full on than my usual week in Wales, hence the reason why I have taken up to swimming 4-5 times a week to try to improve my fitness. Hopefully it won't be used to swim my way out if trouble :)

Mark

Mark,

Does this mean you are a wet Suiter as well. I feel so conspicuous being the only Fly Guy on the flats wearing a wet suit. It has come in handy twice. You won't get me on the flats in chest waders far to limiting.

Just let the other half think you believe her. That should do the trick so we will be seeing you this year and next then.

Mike

starsky
05-12-2011, 10:00 AM
Mike,
I'm afraid that you will still be the only one in a wet suit. Saying that I did once hear Gary say he was debating bringing his over. Given his ability for getting a soaking it's probably a good idea..:)

Mark