Spring Clave Sat Dinner Options [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Spring Clave Sat Dinner Options

juro
05-06-2011, 11:33 AM
How do people feel about a Clam Bake? Chatham Lobster Co will deliver fresh lobster / steamer / corn cooked traditionally with various sides.

Cost will be $30 per head.

Additional options TBD shortly.

Jim Miller
05-06-2011, 12:00 PM
That sounds great! ..... keg of beer too!
Tent if weather goes bad?
As usual, we could bring suppliments, side dishes, dessert....

Guernseybass
05-06-2011, 02:25 PM
clam bake sounds great, but where ?

As an FYI, the Hankie has grills out the back now behind the rooms :wink:

with a lot of people staying there it may be convenient.

Mark.

juro
05-06-2011, 02:33 PM
I spoke with the Hankie Mgmt and they gave us the green light :smokin:

However it's susceptible to rain. Let's keep the options open for now...

PopnesetBay
05-06-2011, 04:14 PM
Sounds good to me but there may be others that would like something else. Other options TBD latter?

juro
05-06-2011, 04:31 PM
I have a call into the Goose (Wayside) across the street from the Squire. They have function rooms and sounded interesting but I need to speak to their function manager before it's an option.

No fixed menu, bar service, etc. You can order just a salad or a filet, and their steaks are excellent.

juro
05-06-2011, 05:02 PM
Wayside pricepoint for groups is ~$50 so I am going to guess it's off the options list. That would be private function room / cash bar inclusive MA tax and gratuity. Opinions welcome.

PopnesetBay
05-06-2011, 09:11 PM
Skip it !!!!!! If we did a 'Bake' could they also do steaks on grill for those that might not want Lobster & Clams but all the rest of the fix'ins (Not that I won't do Bake)? I would think that you could get a pretty good steak instead of Lobster & Clams and keep the price the same. Just thinking for those that might not want clam-bake. Price for the "Bake" is outstanding, much less than I thought it would be!

Pete

juro
05-06-2011, 10:14 PM
Pete -

I truly appreciate your opinion and I'm open to anything if people want to belly up to the barbeque.

Keep in mind that for years I managed the event, pre-paid and picked up the meat and fixings, cooked, even cleaned up afterwards. To do a cookout, nothing happens by itself, someone's got to take the bull by the horns and it was always me. Some guys like Dave Kopij directly contributed (the seared tuna was amazing) and people like yourself contributed wine which I savored thank you - but I am talking about General Management of the entire event.

Tell you what, if I am overwhelmed by volunteers (and I don't mean people asking at the time of the cookout if they can help flip burgers) then I would be willing to consider that option again but otherwise the extent of what I have time to offer is arrangement for a third party as above.

I surrender the floor to all volunteers....

PopnesetBay
05-07-2011, 08:24 AM
Juro, I was not saying that we should go back to the "old time BBQ' but wondering if the people that would put on the "Bake" could also have a grill available for cooking a steak, instead of the Lobster & Clams, for those that might want to go to the dinner but are not Lobster/Clam eaters. I personally am in favor of the "Bake". Sorry if my previous post was confusing. Let me know if there is something that I can help with.

Pete

juro
05-07-2011, 11:17 AM
Oh I see - absolutely, if we do the hankie outside thing anyone is free to fire up a grill and cook something they want for themselves definitely! The clambake thing is an idea for whoever wants to order it.

No rules just something that's local and memorable / opt in or out.

PopnesetBay
05-07-2011, 07:37 PM
Count me in for the clambake....as long as I don't have to sit on the side of the road I take it!!!

Pete

vtloon
05-07-2011, 08:08 PM
I'm in for clambake. Having it at Hanky is a good idea.

flydoc
05-07-2011, 08:56 PM
(Channeling Homer Simpson)- "MMMMMMMMM......CLAMBAKE........":p

Dave17
05-08-2011, 01:43 PM
Perfect! I'm in for the bake. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help out.....

artsaw
05-08-2011, 02:46 PM
Count me in for the bake. Then can we go to the SQUIRE ?

tight-lines
05-08-2011, 08:55 PM
Juro,
It wasn't looking good but the stars came together for the clave, sign Joe and Lou up for the Bake.
And the Squire!

juro
05-08-2011, 09:58 PM
Quite a gang - this is going to be a blast!

So I spoke further w/ Chatham Fish and Lobster Co. They prepare the lobster, clams, corn etc and deliver it cooked. Choices of sides, etc. ready to eat.

This gives us a ton of flexibility. We could do it at the hankie if the weather is good. They also have grills for anyone who prefers to have a steak, etc.

We can have the clambake delivered anywhere... I'll ask them if we can use the old Stone Horse dining room in case of rain, but the septic is dead so we won't be able to use the bathroom. You'll have to go back to your room for that etc.

I have a couple more ideas for rain alternates, will let you know.

Jim Miller
05-09-2011, 06:01 PM
Hey Juro
please post up the menu and options for clam bake ordering. Also what their pricing is for the individual items or what one gets in a "clam bake" order portion.
Will they give us a break based on quantity or "family style serving".

(I may want to order extra portions...maybe even an extra lobster or clams! :eek: ) I DO get hungry ya know! :D

Quentin
05-10-2011, 10:39 PM
Sign me up for the clam bake if that's the plan. I'll have the lobster and corn, but I'm not crazy about clams so Jim can have mine if he's still hungry :chuckle: .

Q

boatdrinks
05-11-2011, 09:12 AM
make sure you get some of their coleslaw.

Jim Miller
05-11-2011, 01:33 PM
Sign me up for the clam bake if that's the plan. I'll have the lobster and corn, but I'm not crazy about clams so Jim can have mine if he's still hungry :chuckle: .

Q Nice! It's good to know who your friends are! :D

tight-lines
05-11-2011, 09:10 PM
make sure you get some of their coleslaw.

Absolutely, got to have the slaw!!!

juro
05-11-2011, 10:34 PM
Consider it done :) Have you ever tried their homemade macaroons fresh out of the oven?

BTW - the cut off will be a week prior to the Sat Dinner - this Saturday. People can of course attend after that, there will be grills available, and CF&L Co might accommodate additional peeps but they asked for a week's notice so that's the protocol per their request.

highway61
05-12-2011, 07:40 AM
Juro,

I'm a bit confused. Yes, I am one of those damn land lubbers who is not fond of clams or lobster. It had something to with tequila and raw clams...it wasn't pretty. But I digress. There will be grills available for steaks, but are we able to partake in the other side dishes or do we have to provide those as well?

Steve

Gseries69
05-12-2011, 09:01 AM
Clambake sounds great. I'm for anything that is easiest on those who are coordinating.

boatdrinks
05-12-2011, 09:32 AM
I love just about everything in that place. They have something called a "chocolate bomb" or something that I get for my fiancee that she likes. I wish I could make that dinner I'll be up the following weekend not that one.

GMflyfish
05-12-2011, 10:35 PM
Please sign me up for the Saturday night clambake. As with a few others, I will completely avoid the clams part, and hope there is sufficient other stuff to make a decent meal.
Will be staying with Pete R. at Hanky Shoals; maybe the festivities will be held there?
Thanks.
GMflyfish

juro
05-13-2011, 07:22 PM
Jim - sounds like you will eat well!

I'm going to put the order in tomorrow.

Satisfaction
05-14-2011, 06:48 AM
Count me in, I'm coming down with the 3 from Western Mass.

juro
05-14-2011, 05:37 PM
Reply with your order here.

1 1/4# Lobster cooked fresh cracked and split, melted butter, pound of clams per person.

Double lobster add $10. No clams subtract $5. This should work out because - preparation fee and sides factor into the pricing.

Sides:
- potato salad
- traditional slaw
- summer slaw
(BYO)

Dessert options:
- coconut/chocolate macaroon $3 highly recommended :)
(BYO)

Planning on Hankie but will watch weather report and cross fingers.