At least the skunk is off .... [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: At least the skunk is off ....

jalthoff
05-02-2011, 03:10 PM
38 degrees when I got in my car west of Boston at 5 am ... not much warmer when I waded into the water of a south side estuary on the Cape 90 minutes later .... water warmer than the air, and water not exactly tepid!

Beautiful, clear morning. No one else around. Saw lots of bait - all about 2-3 inches and pretty fat. Tried various flies (clousers, small flatwings, etc.) and various retrieves. Only had the one hit all morning ... fished for 3.5 hours and managed one schoolie dead drifting the fly. Not exactly stellar, but the first fish of the year is always a reason to celebrate!

Tons of ospreys around too ... and saw one very strange looking fish hugging the bottom. Fat, almost ball shaped body - about 14 inches. Swimming very slowly, and as I moved toward it it just dropped to the bottom and just sat there motionless. Very dark, with kind of a mottled back. Not a tog - really know idea what it was.

bonefishmon
05-03-2011, 04:33 AM
Thanks Jay. Very fishy weather coming.........if you don't mind feeling a little damp and cold. Perhaps a visit next week.

Phil

boatdrinks
05-03-2011, 07:59 AM
that's awesome, way to go!!