moderator resignation [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: moderator resignation

striblue
04-25-2011, 08:24 AM
Just an FYI...I have elected to voluntarily resign as a moderator on the boards where indicated. I will no longer post. See you on the water. John

Paxton
04-26-2011, 09:53 AM
109 views...zero responses....doesn't seem right to me
John...if you are still reading this.....I just want to thank you for your work as moderator and especially for your multiple efforts over the years, coordinating Rip trips. Those are a lot of work...usually end in frustration due to weather conditions....BUT...all your efforts are appreciated.
Ron

juro
04-26-2011, 11:13 AM
I immediately felt appreciation upon reading this, Ron glad you broke the ice.

John, you have your reasons even after countless private offline conversations and my pleas to let things go we couldn't see eye to eye on site politics, however it does not mean the fishing changes.

I do hope you continue to participate, as we do not have anyone of such vivid local colour as the mayor :)

FishHobby
04-26-2011, 11:21 AM
Thanks John,

As a newbie to the forum in the last couple years, I appreciated your work. I certainly do hope to connect again on the water.

-Phil

flydoc
04-26-2011, 11:46 AM
Ron- I'm sure many- myself included- have already voiced our thoughts and appreciation to John privately. Not being privy to the details of what brought about this schism, I can only hope and pray for a reconciliation some day between the two parties, as they have both contributed enormously to my involvement and enjoyment of the sport they quite obviously are so passionate about. I plan on remaining close friends with both of them for the foreseeable future.
Flydoc

juro
04-26-2011, 11:55 AM
Hey Doc - thanks for chiming in.

I don't think this development has anything to do with friendship, or fishing. Certainly not on my side.

Moderation is/was an ill-defined and perhaps defunct concept that's in and of itself problematic. I am seriously having a hard time figuring out what it is, never mind how to do it.

If there was one thing that is crystal clear and solid as concrete with no vagueness whatsoever, it's this fact:

The Forum builds lifelong friendships.

As far as I can see, it doesn't destroy them - certainly not over something as silly as website politics. The website just isn't that important, it's just a medium for communication that enables our angling enjoyment. period.

What I'm trying to say is the former is the meat of it, the latter is just a mechanism. I think moderation is mechanism not meaning.

Maybe it's time for moderation to go away.

Dave17
04-26-2011, 01:04 PM
John,

Thanks for all you've done. See you on the water. I agree with everything stated above and I'll leave it at that having no knowledge of what the issue is.

David

FredA
04-26-2011, 02:35 PM
John, empty your friggen pm box before you leave.

Jim Miller
04-26-2011, 02:36 PM
Thanks John for your efforts!

Your input over the years has always been most appreciated. God, it's been a long haul. I believe it was you that got me started with saltwater tying...so many years ago. I sincerely hope you will continue to contribute and post on this site.

All and all, this is a pretty well behaved group. (remember some of the crapola that was on Reel-Time and Jeff's site.) Back when the net was the wild west! This place has always been somewhat civil.

Keep topics to fishing related topics and conservation.....and I think we are good to go! Maybe an off-topic forum to discuss everything else. Tune in or tune out as you see fit.

I hope to see all my brothers in flyfishing on the flats, beach and boats this season!

n1gdo
04-26-2011, 02:54 PM
John ... thank you...

I tend to agree with others that this is a fairly civil site.

It is the one I have on my screen almost exclusively.

Posting to other sites for me is extremely rare but I feel comfortable posting here.

I feel I have made friends on this site and don't want to lose that.

Recently I angered a friend when I sent an email that they took seriously and I was simply joking around. They could not tell that from my email and I was sorry.

Taught me a lesson that this medium is a bit restrictive on conveying your true thought sometimes so maybe it is better to hit the delete button on a post rather than offend someone.

Well I had better stop before I break my own rule and offend someone! Ha!

My best to you all...

tight-lines
04-26-2011, 04:40 PM
Thanks for all the online hours John, and the Rip-Trip last clave really enjoyed it.
Best,
Joe

FishHawk
04-26-2011, 05:14 PM
John you did the right thing. I agree with why you left . This should be a wake up call for the Forum . FishHawk.

Mike Oliver
04-26-2011, 05:55 PM
Ron- I'm sure many- myself included- have already voiced our thoughts and appreciation to John privately. Not being privy to the details of what brought about this schism, I can only hope and pray for a reconciliation some day between the two parties, as they have both contributed enormously to my involvement and enjoyment of the sport they quite obviously are so passionate about. I plan on remaining close friends with both of them for the foreseeable future.
Flydoc

Flydoc,

I can't beat what you have expressed so well above so I would like to echo it. Thanks to john for his work and excellent moderating.

Mike

sickb4st4rd
04-26-2011, 08:05 PM
John,

I am new here so don't realize your history but still thank you for the contributions especially for returning PMs from someone you don't know and take the time to return voice mail and share info last fall. Much appreciated, and do hope to meet you on the water this spring season!

Best
harold

millerbrown
04-26-2011, 09:39 PM
Hmm...a year ago I made the statement that this site had become a clique and was harpooned by a former moderator for it. I still visited and commented on occasion. This must be one hell of a schism to have it turn out like this!

PopnesetBay
04-26-2011, 10:08 PM
I have expressed my thanks in emails but want to echo the public thanks for your efforts. You have devoted a lot of time in attempting to keep this forum on track through your position as a moderator and contributor. Tight lines, see you on the water, golf course and/or The Squire.

Pete Readel

Guernseybass
04-27-2011, 05:06 PM
I never really liked John anyway....kidding !

I am sorry John won't be posting any more, but I hope that doesn't mean I will no longer see him on the beach.

I'd like to add my thanks for his organisation of the Rip trips too.

bonefishmon
04-28-2011, 10:09 AM
Hey John. Please don't leave! One of my all time favorite activities in my fishing career had nothing to do with fish! I was sipping Single Malt from a Chatham Bars Teacup while wearing a silly little hat called a Fezz. All the while bearing witness was the Mayor of the CAC. The Chatham Anglers Club. Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think this cyber website connection would evolve into such great friendships. Thank you StriBlue, John Morin! You are so valuable all the people that appreciate you and call you a friend here.
For some this website has become a way of life and very much a part of our daily rituals. I start my morning with a cup of coffee and open Flytalk before I check my emails! What I thought was a Cyber Friendship thing from the start turned out to be very real. This is "Just a website"?

Phil

Stevo
04-29-2011, 06:48 AM
I guess it's been a long winter!

See you on the water, John.

Penguin
04-29-2011, 08:32 AM
How unfortunate...
Sort'a like watching a train wreck in slow motion... :Eyecrazy:
Lifegoeson...
I suppose this means that we won't be having a booth at the Wilmington Shriner Fly Fishing Show this year...?! :frown:
Those were the DAZE... 'glad I was along for the ride!
See ya' onthewater!

Kieran
05-12-2011, 08:52 AM
For all the visiting brits that you encouraged and entertained

Cheerio fella and many thanks

K