Looks like my driftboat will go unused for another year [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Looks like my driftboat will go unused for another year

teflon_jones
04-21-2011, 05:51 PM
Two doctor visits today, one to a shoulder guy and one to a wrist guy. I slipped getting back into a boat in the Bahamas last month and came down hard on my left wrist. I thought it was something minor but it sounds like I might have broken a bad bone to break that would require 3-6 months in a cast. My left shoulder is just coming apart with age and needs arthroscopic surgery to clean things up. I'm going to have both surgeries done at the same time to minimize the down time of my arm.

The last 2.5 years have seen a lot:
1. Major surgery to repair my left hip including a microfracture and a lot of bone being ground off. I was in bed for 3.5 months, lost 90 pounds, and the recovery took about a year.
2. Major surgery to repair my right hip including a lot of bone grinding. I was in bed for 2.5 months and the full recovery took about a year.
3. Fell and broke my right wrist in two places. Arm out of commission for 3 months.
4. Wrist wasn't getting better and turned out I had a torn TCF ligament requiring surgery 6 months later.
5. Now the left wrist needs surgery, and
6. There's the shoulder too.

Anybody want to buy a drift boat? Only used twice..... :(

FLGator
04-21-2011, 08:47 PM
Wow...sorry to hear that. Know how miserable it is to be laid up first hand and can totally relate. There's got to be a way to get out and keep your sanity during this process! Perhaps find an understudy and pass along the passion? Anyway, best of luck on the journey and hope you're back to full speed soon.

Dble Haul
04-21-2011, 09:31 PM
Holy crap, what a string of bad luck. Best to you during your recovery!

fredaevans
04-22-2011, 07:45 AM
Holy crap, what a string of bad luck. Best to you during your recovery!

+1 to what DH said. No where the issues you've experienced by taking a two story 'Swan Dive' off my roof years back was a bummer. Fall didn't hurt at all ... the sudden deceleration at the end .... another story.

Mashed up all the bones in the heel of my right hand and the bones in the forearm. Still have two slabs of stainless steel plate and 8 screws holding me together. To repair same the 'Cutter' took chunks out of my right hip for replacement parts.

To this day I still have a 'grip issue,' but for casting a 2-hander it actually improved my casting stroke. All things considered .... I'd still take a pass on that. Even more interesting Post 9/11 when you get 'wanded' at the airport. That close and BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!
:Eyecrazy:

fae

OC
04-22-2011, 09:27 AM
Jesus, Tef, Good luck on the surgeries and get healthy soon. Drink lots of G&T's this summer to make up for not fishing.

acklinsboy
04-22-2011, 10:37 PM
Best of luck & a quick recovery!

juro
04-23-2011, 05:22 AM
I didn't realize you were the 6 Million Dollar Man!! Get well quick

teflon_jones
04-25-2011, 12:18 PM
Thanks for the kind thoughts. :)

I'm only 33 so all of these things are just killing me. I have the body of an 80 year old thanks to growing up on a farm, years of football and weightlifting, and just being a big guy (6'4 260+).

I'm glad I did the 2 weeks in the Bahamas this year since it'll probably be the last time I can do a trip like that, which I kind of figured and why I did it.