quick trip April 19-20 [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: quick trip April 19-20

Jim Miller
04-20-2011, 09:02 PM
Another business trip in steelhead heaven!

Got to fish tuesday for 3 hours. River was running at 1800....down from 4200. Hiked into a favorite high water spot. FISH ON!!!!!!!!!

Stacked up like cordwood. Aprox. 14 hookups and 4 fish to the net. Fish were between 7 to 18 lbs +/- ???? The steep bank and deep water made netting the fish (w/ the spey rod) very difficult. Lost numerous fish in the end game. One very large just would not fit in the (big brodin steel head) net. 3 tries and I see the hook fall out. Make a grab and have him by the tail.....couple of flips and he is gone! Don't know for sure....but thinking 17-18 lbs. Dwarfted my other fish. :whoa:

Took some photos of a couple of fish I did land and could release quickly...will try to post.
I release all fish....so no biggie to not land ...all by myself and laughing out loud like a little kid! :D
A great memory....a great day!

Got to use the new Meiser rod......really nice tool. At a 5,6,7 wt. It handled all fish easily. I am a happy guy!

This morning (Wed.) was cold, rain and thunder....went to the hatchery. Way cool to see all the big ass steelies in the holding pens. Looks like it was a great year.

I'd say...get up there if you can! :D :D
http://i1114.photobucket.com/albums/k529/nfdesign1/steelie2small.jpg
http://i1114.photobucket.com/albums/k529/nfdesign1/steelie1small.jpg

juro
04-21-2011, 09:13 AM
Nice - are they hitting on the swing in this warmer weather?

Jim Miller
04-21-2011, 09:22 AM
Got a few swinging speys.
But mostly on estaz egg patterns under an indicator.
Water was still pretty cold....maybe high thirties?

Gseries69
04-27-2011, 09:03 AM
Thanks for the report Jim. I was supposed to head over on the 22nd to fish with Greg Liu for a couple of days but he advised we reschedule due to the high water. Rescheduled for the 5th and 6th. Hopefully there will still be lots of fish in the river taking flies on the swing.

It's been one TOUGH spring with the weather and water conditions.

JimD
04-27-2011, 07:41 PM
Jim,
You should not use a fine rod and reel like the one in the picture for catching fish!:hihi:

Jim Miller
04-28-2011, 05:11 AM
Gseries
water was 1800 then...1900-2500 NOW!
fish are there. find them in the slack water off the mainstream. also in the diversions. Once the water goes down....I'd bet the steelies will book out.
This would be a good week....or early next week. 83 degrees in Albany yesterday.

Gseries69
04-28-2011, 08:17 AM
Jim,

Do you use the Pineville data to check the water conditions? Folks I have spoken to say that if you are going to travel a bit (about 4 1/2 hours from VT) and want to swing flies that anything below 1800 you're good to go. Above that and you're limited to areas where swinging is effective.

Jim Miller
04-28-2011, 08:49 AM
There are places to fish in 6000. See my post above. Send me a PM and I will try to help you out. :D

I use waterline.....release CFM at the dam
I use the USGS at the Pineville Gauge....accounts for Ordwell Brook and accumulated upstream runoff. (dam to pineville)