Crocs and Camping on Andros [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Crocs and Camping on Andros

chainlynx
04-16-2011, 02:35 PM
Ok, to set the record straight on the CROCS I have, they are a great for a camping trip to remote areas of Andros, but not so much for walking in Bahama mud... despite having an ankle cinch. We fished from the boat the entire time so it wasn't an issue. They would be fine for walking on sandy or rock bottom.

As for the fishing it was very good. Our camp averaged 2 double digit bones daily (first three days) with shots at tarpon every day. I didn't catch anything smaller than 6 on the boga until the last day when we fished back in the creek areas... The fish were extremely selective on the outgoing tide which was in the mornings and the first two days were more cloudy that we would have liked, but that's fishing and I couldn't imagine a better place to fish than Andros. Check out some pictures....

http://www.trysomethingelse.com/pictures.html

LeeG
04-26-2011, 09:15 AM
The link didn't work for me but how did arrange for the camping trip? It's on the bucket list.

chainlynx
04-28-2011, 01:20 PM
Thanks for letting me know about the link, do you know how to post the pics right to the site? It wouldn't take my pictures directly to the site...

We knew the guides from fishing there for the past 10 yrs, and we pitched the idea. I am sure we weren't the first, but we did it right. All in with float plane drop off and pick up, fees for guides, gratuity for guides, food and booze around $4,000.00 per man. (5 1/2 days of fishing) We had 5 fisherman and 3 guides, so if you had even numbers it would be a bit cheaper. You have to get the right guides, it is vital. What an awesome time though...any help with the pictures direct to the site would be helpful.

teflon_jones
05-08-2011, 08:52 PM
Who did you use for the float plane charter?

bonehead
06-18-2011, 10:11 AM
chainlynx, first, that trip sounds AWESOME! So jealous. Andros is a lovely place and a gem of a fishery... a true bonefisherman's Nirvana.

However, unless you use a sling, you should NEVER use a boga on bones. Period. There is ample scientific evidence that removing a bonefish from the water with any lip-gripping device causes serious injury. Below is a quote from research in which Dr. Aaron Adams of Bonefish & Tarpon Trust had a part:

The lip-gripping device caused mouth injuries to 80% of bonefish restrained in the water and 100% of bonefish held in the air, always when fish thrashed while being held. Some of the injuries were severe (40%) and included separating the tongue from the floor of the mouth, creating tears and holes in the soft tissue of the lower jaw, and splitting the mandible.

Also, there was that study that showed how bonefish that were held in the air were subject to lost equilibrium and subsequent predation in areas that sharks were common. (read more at Bonefish and Tarpon Trust (http://www.tarbone.org/images/stories/Bonefish_C_and_R_MS.pdf)... it's a long read but if you jump to the 'Conlusion' page you'll get the jist)

Guides should know this stuff and do their best to preserve their resource. Believe me, I'm not preaching here; I've been just as guilty in the past of holding fish out of water for too long for pics or Boga-gripping to give a happy client a specific number to attache to that photo. NO MORE. So, help spread the word and let's keep those fish in the water. :)

FLGator
06-20-2011, 12:00 PM
Bonehead,
Great to see you posting again and thanks for the educational information!

bonehead
06-20-2011, 08:09 PM
No worries! Not trying to be "that guy" you know, but in the immortal words of Thomas McGuane, "We have reached the time in the life or the planet, and humanity’s demands upon it, when every fisherman will have to be a riverkeeper, a steward of marine shallows, a watchman on the high sees." Used to be I'd post innane "congrats" and "nice vid" type of comments, or stuff that would help folks in some technical aspect of the sport. Now when I visit sites or blogs and see a fish dangling by the lip or being mis-handled or a bunch of D-bags that have to take a pic of EVERY. SINGLE. FISH. ...well, I feel the need to call them on it, not because I'm suck a freakin' saint, but more as a sort of penance, a sort of burden for all the fish I've killed in my life.

Peace,
Bonehead

chainlynx
07-09-2011, 08:22 AM
Thanks for the boga information, I din't know that. good to know for next year!