Going to be a hell of a year at Chatham Inlet [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Going to be a hell of a year at Chatham Inlet

juro
04-04-2011, 08:29 AM
The south end of north island has moved a long way south from it's position last year, and is also moving inward (west) toward the riprap south of the fish pier. The shoal structures are reminiscent of the glory days.

The channel is back on the beachside close in, which means big girl will be in her glory again.

Can't wait to go explore it on the dory this summer!

boatdrinks
04-04-2011, 09:07 AM
It looks pretty awesome Juro. I was looking at it from the parking lot a couple weeks ago and you can really see where the moving water's going to be. That could be a tough place to row though. I once tried to sail through there and had the sails full and was moving backwards.

juro
04-04-2011, 09:52 AM
Ha! I know what you mean. I have experience rowing against currents from rivers in the northwest and used to cross over in a buck's bag pontoon boat, and an inflatable kayak (the infamous "pool toy") all the time.

That and the fact the I favor the turn of the tide which means an easy ride down and across followed by an easy ride up and back, with the exception that a surf landing on the incoming can be challenging on any inflatable device.

I agree with you though, the most important piece of equipment to bring along is your brain.

boatdrinks
04-04-2011, 10:40 AM
Yeah if you time the tide right you could probably do a controlled drift down and back and fish the whole way. I see a lot of people doing crazy things near the break. You should have a great time fishing that though. That channel by the revetement looks really narrow and awesome. It's amazing how deep it is there. By the rocks it drops off to 40 or so foot.

juro
04-04-2011, 11:33 AM
My goal for 2011 is to set a personal best for 40+" fish this season. What does this have to do with this discussion? EVERYTHING.

Stevo
04-04-2011, 12:31 PM
The south end of north island has moved a long way south from it's position last year, and is also moving inward (west) toward the riprap south of the fish pier. The shoal structures are reminiscent of the glory days.

The channel is back on the beachside close in, which means big girl will be in her glory again.

I think I can visualise it but, to be sure, can we get our "eye in the sky" to do an aerial reconnaissance and take a few piccies? :hihi:

boatdrinks
04-04-2011, 01:10 PM
That would be great...I would love to fish the lighthouse again from shore at dawn on an outgoing.

It sure looks like you'll be able to. The channel is running right along the beach so an outgoing after dark could be awesome. Although this can change at any minute. I hope the beach patrol is continued this season, that current's really going to rip and some idiot will definitely try to swim in it.

juro
04-04-2011, 01:12 PM
Yep. Gonna be good if it stays as it is. The two-hander will get a lot of work there this year.

PopnesetBay
04-04-2011, 06:42 PM
Couldn't you launch a Kayak off the causeway, paddle out and come in thru the 'back door' and eliminate the parking ticket problem or the need to depart earlier than wanted? What time in evening can you park by lighthouse and not be subject to ticketing?

juro
04-04-2011, 08:43 PM
There are other options - we'll discuss at spring clave or via PM.

jimS
04-04-2011, 09:40 PM
Stevo, see Chatham, Feb 4 aerials earlier in this subset of the forum that was posted by FredA. The aerials start at the Harding Beach parking lot, Stage Harbor, Monomoy, and then the cut in front of Chatham light. Photos continue into Pleasant Bay and the new cut.

I understand you're not coming this Spring? The Squire regulars will miss you again.

Stevo
04-15-2011, 04:49 PM
Hey Jim

Probably not, funds are tight at the moment and I have a family week away in Dorset, England booked the first week of June. I do know, for a fact, that I will be going somewhere in 2012... fancy heading out to Weipa or Christmas Island?

As an aside, I did get out with Silas a few days ago (April 12th) and caught a new 'PB' Pollack at 14lb 8oz (38inches) from over 100 feet down. They fight like crazy when first hooked!

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5027/5617113566_2cf946729b_z.jpg
caught using a 9' 9# Helios - T14 and a 6" heavily-weighted black/orange fly

Mike Oliver
04-16-2011, 03:40 AM
Steve great fish. Shame we have to use techniques like that to reach them.

You Guys have to stop raising the temperature of us Brits sitting over here. It is murder trying to figure out where to go when we land in June, even worse for poor old Stevo who can't make it over this year. I feel for you Steve, wish you were coming to. What are Silas's plans.

Mike

Paul J
04-16-2011, 12:18 PM
Currently working on plan version 7, it's all part of the fun, I too wish Steveo was coming.
I cant wait for May 31st to start the 2nd year of my Cape apprenticeship.
Sitting at the vice reading this and the anticipation is well high and rising.

PJ

jimS
04-16-2011, 01:10 PM
Stevo, nice pollack. Never targeted them, but guess you could on this side.

Sorry you can't make it this year. I know the funding issues. Big deficit on my part after tax day on Monday.

Silas and I are thinking maybe Baja in Jul/Aug.

Guernseybass
04-16-2011, 01:47 PM
it will be interesting to see the changes after tonights storm - astronomical high tides AND 50mph Easterly. Which the easterly part is key for any new breaks I understand :Eyecrazy: