Few from Crooked [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Few from Crooked

WW28
04-03-2011, 12:51 PM
Kept the tradition alive and got away with my father in law for a week of chasing bones. This year chose Crooked island Lodge and it worked out pretty well. I have to say the beauty of the lodge and property was extremely surprising. In addition the manager of the place by the name of Cynthia was about the most competent, organized, friendly, Bahamian I have ever met. We had wind of 15+ everyday except one but the fish were there and they ate pretty well. The guides that Yellowdog suggested were very good and we booked the dates around their schedule. Another surprise was the size of the fish. There were alot more big fish than I was expecting for the southern Bahamas. Good trip.

WW28
04-03-2011, 12:53 PM
few more pix froom crooked

WW28
04-03-2011, 12:56 PM
couple more....

Vince
04-03-2011, 07:13 PM
Nice photos! Crooked Island is an awesome place! That looks like Shakey on the platform?
Did you guys see any permit your week?

We hosted two weeks there (March 19-26 & 26-April 2) and must have been there at the same time. Our group was staying at Frank & Ruth's in Landrail point. I am sure you saw them at some point, and I believe they went to Crooked Island lodge each week for after dinner cocktails.

Everything about Crooked is great--the guides, food and especially the people.

I'll post some photos as they come in.

WW28
04-05-2011, 02:31 PM
Hey Vince. Yes thats SHakey on the platform. We fished with Jeffrey and himself for the week and I was pretty impressed. (and Im not easily impressed). We were actually there the end of feb first part of march. Im just a little slow. Didnt see any permit but didnt really fish for them either. There was another group that were perm fishing exclusively and I dont think they saw too many. I liked Crooked. Would return.

Swalt
04-06-2011, 01:10 PM
I think there are a number of good guides on Crooked. I have fished with Michael Carroll and Clinton Scavella both are quality guides. The guides are very important there since there are so few DIY opportunities. I would rate Michael as one of the top guides I have fished with. He and Shakey are also very good flyfishermen.

WW28
04-09-2011, 06:38 AM
Agree. I think the guides are all pretty good but they have created a guide co-op and are bickering with everyone like a group of old broads.

Swalt
04-09-2011, 07:41 AM
Not enough fishermen to go around.